Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Firmware 6.3 and its bugs!

I have to say it. Why in the world did Amazon release 6.3! The bugs keeps growing.

1. Personal Document covers do not work correctly.
2. No Two way sync with Personal Documents
3. Downloading a personal document that is sync from a Kindle and has a bookmark loses it's formatting. I realize many might not even notice this bug.
4. Going to a sync bookmark loses random formatting.
5. Battery life has changed significantly when reading on the device.
6. Random grey covers appear on the Carousel.

Anymore bugs you found?

Last edited by Blossom; 04-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have to say it. Why in the world did Amazon release 6.3! The bugs keeps growing.

1. Personal Document covers do not work correctly.
2. No Two way sync with Personal Documents
3. Downloading a personal document that is sync from a Kindle and has a bookmark loses it's formatting. I realize many might not even notice this bug.
4. Going to a sync bookmark loses random formatting.
5. Battery life has changed significantly when reading on the device.
6. Random grey covers appear on the Carousel.

I haven't tested Amazon books that is my next thing to do.

Anymore bugs you found?
Amazon books are behaving normally as far as I can tell. I don't do any of that other stuff. I thought the battery life was a little short.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Amazon books are behaving normally as far as I can tell. I don't do any of that other stuff. I thought the battery life was a little short.
I use to be able to read 3 hours and the battery would go to down maybe 15% percentage at most. Now it goes down 45% to 60% BABM says it's the launcher sucking the juice out.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The actual big problem here is that Amazon is compiling code that contains a lot of errors and is trying to add features on top of the problems that already exist. If you were to compile the source code they have out, it would output tons and tons of errors.

An aspect of audio has been broken since day one. There are some newer games that won't work properly because of it. It's a driver issue, I'm not sure why (guessing Amazon didn't code it in right), but it's fixed in the new development version of ICS with the new 3.0 kernel.

I am having the grey cover issues with apps when I go back and forth from the carousel to an app. I wonder if taking the Launcher.apk from the previous update would help any?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I am having the grey cover issues with apps when I go back and forth from the carousel to an app. I wonder if taking the Launcher.apk from the previous update would help any?
I got the grey icons happening as well. I just switch back and forth tabs till they show up again.
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
benee16
benee16 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I'm just happy I backed up my daughter's game because it just disappeared no one was using the kindle either so it wasn't erased, and I've gotten a few of the grayed out docs and icons showing up. Also having a problem with amazon books holding their place when they are closed.
benee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm tempted to get a new iPad with a Retina display and using the Kindle for iPad app. Amazon has made the Kindle for iPad app better than the Fire and all the other apps, which is strange since Apple is a major competitor. I'm afraid Amazon will never get the bugs worked out of the Fire's firmware before they release the next Fire, at which point firmware updates for our original Fire will become even less frequent or useful.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Wow I am Glad I stayed with 6.2!!!
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
6.3 is fine for me. Grey icons, yes, but easily dealt with. I don't encounter the other issues mentioned here (I can't even say I understand what they are from the descriptions—I have a fair number of PDs but haven't been reading them much on Fire) so I would not want to revert.

I am annoyed that the PD service doesn't support KF8 after all this time, however. That has nothing to do with Fire's software though.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
6.3 is fine for me. Grey icons, yes, but easily dealt with. I don't encounter the other issues mentioned here (I can't even say I understand what they are from the descriptions—I have a fair number of PDs but haven't been reading them much on Fire) so I would not want to revert.

I am annoyed that the PD service doesn't support KF8 after all this time, however. That has nothing to do with Fire's software though.
See this thread here It will explain the bugs well most of them with Personal Documents.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benee16 View Post
I'm just happy I backed up my daughter's game because it just disappeared no one was using the kindle either so it wasn't erased, and I've gotten a few of the grayed out docs and icons showing up. Also having a problem with amazon books holding their place when they are closed.
It's a mess. I don't have any but mandatory apps installed after doing a Factory reset but I had some apps going crazy right after the update and had to remove them. This was before the reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm tempted to get a new iPad with a Retina display and using the Kindle for iPad app. Amazon has made the Kindle for iPad app better than the Fire and all the other apps, which is strange since Apple is a major competitor. I'm afraid Amazon will never get the bugs worked out of the Fire's firmware before they release the next Fire, at which point firmware updates for our original Fire will become even less frequent or useful.
I hear you. It's disheartening. I'm going to wait for a lighted Kindle. I think it will work perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Wow I am Glad I stayed with 6.2!!!
I don't know how you did that seeing they push the update out without you knowing but yes wait till we get a stable firmware before upgrading.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-13-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I don't know how you did that seeing they push the update out without you knowing"
Hi, well its rather strange actually
For one I never have My Kindle
Wi fi Turned on as I Do all my web surfing on my Mac.

However I recently had one of my Apps, purchased from amazon,(Autodesk Sketchbook pro),
suddenly& inexplicably demand an internet connection to be able to run.
I went to My local Mall ,which has free public wi-fi, turned on my Kindle fire wifi and hit the resynch button several times.
Sketchbook pro and several other Apps called for "updates"*solving that little issue with Sketchbook.
However my Kindle still shows itself under "device" as running 6.2 and the orange update button remains Greyed out.

And after hearing these stories I am glad it did not auto update as I am one of those fortunate who has Go Launcher EX and rotating wall paper running without any problems.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The actual big problem here is that Amazon is compiling code that contains a lot of errors and is trying to add features on top of the problems that already exist. If you were to compile the source code they have out, it would output tons and tons of errors.

An aspect of audio has been broken since day one. There are some newer games that won't work properly because of it. It's a driver issue, I'm not sure why (guessing Amazon didn't code it in right), but it's fixed in the new development version of ICS with the new 3.0 kernel.

MICROSOFT. Amazon is behaving like Microsoftt, just piling bbad stuff on top of bad stuff.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I haven't found any bugs with the new firmware. I have one personal document of my own Bible Notes and have not found any problems with it.

AccuWeather had been drawing more juice per BBBM but I changed its setting to update only once every 60 minutes instead of once every 15 minutes and now it hardly uses any juice.

I got about 5.5 hours of reading before a recharge was required at 15% before the upgrade and I get about the same now.

I had noticed BBBM malfunctioning after the upgrade. I first deleted all its data, uninstalled it and re-installed it including the new icon. It now works just fine. Its overlay icon was using the one for Ice Cream which I don't have. That was causing the overlay icon to always show a black zero on a white background. Now I have the proper one for the Kindle Fire and it works fine.

My Launcher uses only 0.3% and my Amazon Kindle (the eReader) uses 12.3% which I would expect.

Its possible that some, having lots of bugs, rooted the Kindle Fire or are using non-Amazon Store android apps.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-13-2012 at 09:44 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I haven't found any bugs with the new firmware. I have one personal document of my own Bible Notes and have not found any problems with it.

AccuWeather had been drawing more juice per BBBM but I changed its setting to update only once every 60 minutes instead of once every 15 minutes and now it hardly uses any juice.

I got about 5.5 hours of reading before a recharge was required at 15% before the upgrade and I get about the same now.

I had noticed BBBM malfunctioning after the upgrade. I first deleted all its data, uninstalled it and re-installed it including the new icon. It now works just fine. Its overlay icon was using the one for Ice Cream which I don't have. That was causing the overlay icon to always show a black zero on a white background. Now I have the proper one for the Kindle Fire and it works fine.

My Launcher uses only 0.3% and my Amazon Kindle (the eReader) uses 12.3% which I would expect.

Its possible that some, having lots of bugs, rooted the Kindle Fire or are using non-Amazon Store android apps.
I'm pretty sure Blossom hasn't rooted tho she may have by now. As for using non-Amazon apps, my goodness, almost everyone has tried out 1 or 2 non-Amazon apps.

At this point, battery life is my only complaint. A full charge used to last me from approx 10 AM to 8:30 or 9 PM with lots of use (not sure how to clarify usage). Lots, best I can do. <g>