Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Polymer Vision: rollable e-paper is finally on the roll

Remember the Polymer Vision Readius? Yeah, hardly do I. Those gagging for some hot foldable e-paper action will be pleased to know that Polymer Vision has just stated in a press release that they begun volume production of their rollable e-paper displays.

Quote:
In less than twelve months the clean room facilities have been completed, the first complete manufacturing tool set has been installed and the process has been successfully transferred from Eindhoven to the Southampton facility. The first batch of rollable displays produced has immediately delivered functional displays and from December onwards volumes will ramp up to meet growing customer demand.
Also, the first "samples" of the Readius device are supposed to be shipped to customers before the end of 2007 (i.e. within the next two weeks).

If you had the chance, would you want to grab one?

Thanks to Gert for news!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, I would like to try one at least...maybe they'll send a few of those 2007 Samples to mobileread HQ and let us try them...

But I really don't see anywhere to actually buy these things. We all heard rumours and saw prototypes and photographs, but I don't remeber ever really seeing any real information about them and especially when and where to buy them...and now they are telling us they will be available in the next 2 weeks and there is customer demand??? Is this a b2b deal again?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Aside from wanting something bigger, it seems ideal to me.

I hope they are considering different sizes sooner rather than later.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
yup, it looks wonderful. If I could get it for free I'd be a very happy person indeed, would be nice to see how it performed in person

I expect I'll be able to afford one when the price becomes reasonable in about 5 years or so, I can see these going for a very high price. I don like the idea of reading from a LED / backlit screen though, get enough of that at work and on the web. But I do love the idea and the look, hope it catches on.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I'll send them a mail asking for a little more information...let's see whether they respond and what they are willing to share. So far we have little to go by apart from the flexible screen 5" screen and the fact that it contains a 3G network card.
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
If you had the chance, would you want to grab one?
Yes, YES, OH, GOOD (AND EVIL) GODS, YES!!!

...but only if it was any good.

Cheers,
Marc (my Gadget-sense is tingling)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Well, I would like to try one at least.

But I really don't see anywhere to actually buy these things. ...and now they are telling us they will be available in the next 2 weeks and there is customer demand??? Is this a b2b deal again?
Direct from PV's FAQ:

1. When will the displays be commercially available in the market?
As announced, Polymer Vision Ltd. will launch together with Telecom Italia Mobile the world's first commercial product with a rollable display in 2008 in Italy. Other countries will follow.

3. What is the target market and application for this display / prototype?
The first product, Readius, is targeting the traveling professional that would like to have updated personalized information while on the move. Mobile Network Operators will provide the service to upload a set of continuously updated information to the eReader device via Edge or UMTS.

10. What customers do you have
Polymer Vision has announced its first customer contract with Telecom Italia for launch of the world's first rollable display enabled device in 2008. We are in discussions with other Mobile Network Operators but it is our policy not to reveal names unless publicly announced.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
I wonder if the display will get scarred where the folded screen rubs the housing. I have a clamshell cell phone where the keys just barely touch the screen when closed, and after a year the screen has some light checkered scarring as a result.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
I wonder if the display will get scarred where the folded screen rubs the housing. I have a clamshell cell phone where the keys just barely touch the screen when closed, and after a year the screen has some light checkered scarring as a result.

-d
I'd also be worried about the wear level. Wouldn't you think folding a piece of plastic multiple times a day will cause it to get scarred pretty fast?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Personally I do not like the design much at all - screen size is important, and we need something that cracks the education market.

The importance of size lies in two things, when layout IS important such as can be the case in scholarly works, and when things have to be read fast, as in the case of complex works being studied. Needless page turns can destroy complex paragraphs, small screens will break far too many paragraphs too often - comprehension suffers enormously.

At reading speeds of over 400 words per minute, necessary to understand complex paragraphs, page turns a by-product of small sized screens is a major problem - something that will not seem important for light reading, but is crushing for serious reading.

A4, folded in the middle, is not not a pocket sized book, but two A5s are needed for serious reading and works well.

Of course the eink page is not really folded, but rather gently bent, the eink device would have to much thicker, but almost as light (most of the space being empty).

Even a rolled-up pull-out device would be bulky and probably longer than 240 mm, I am not sure that it could be rolled very tightly, so as a scroll it would be bulky.

Should it be tried?

I dearly hope so and soon.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #11
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Hmm, a 5" 320x240 screen? Rollable or not, it's probably worth waiting for the second generation!
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:02 AM   #12
ronnn
ronnn began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Rhaaaa, it's the prototype that make me interested in E-Readers !
And I just asked my sister to offer me a sony prs 505 for christmas.

I'm wondering if the roll/unroll mechanism is going to last long.
And looks like 5" is a little small (but i've been reading ebooks on a Palm III so .... )

But if i had the chance to get one, or test it one week or two, i would never say no !
ronnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@chef

Thanks for pointing me at the information in that FAQ...I must have been very tired yesterday when I looked at their website, I missed the FAQ completely.

So, this is a personal newsreader...I'm not sure whether I like the idea. I like to read news online, but not something my mobile provider pushes at me...I'm more for roaming the web and reading the news *I* want to read...
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
5"?
No way.

6" is good for travelling, but for homeuse I would like to have 8" at least or even 9.7" - it is my dream.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #15
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Some specifications:

- Dimensions device: 100 mm x 55.6 mm x 21 mm (l x w x h)
- Weight: 150 gram
- Display:
- Type: monochrome reflective
- Size: 5” (128 mm) diagonal; 4:3 aspect
- Resolution: QVGA
- Grey levels: 16
- Contrast: 10:1
- Reflectivity: 35%
- Update speed: 0.5 - 1 s
- Supports: RSS feeds, PDF’s, e-books, e-mail and other text files
- Audio: internal speaker and headphones (with remote control)
- Connectivity: USB and wireless broadband
- Storage: minimum of 4GB
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote