Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Doctorow, Cory: Overclocked Stories of the Future Present v2.0 2007-12-19

Here is the science fiction book Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present by Cory Doctorow. It replaces I Robot as I Robot is one of the stories in the collection.

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to get bitten by a zombie? To live through a bioweapon attack? To have every aspect of your life governed by invisible ants?
In Cory Doctorow's collection of novellas, he wields his formidable experience in technology and computing to give us mindbending sci-fi tales that explore the possibilities of information technology — and its various uses — run amok. "Anda's Game" is a spin on the bizarre new phenomenon of “cyber sweatshops,” in which people are paid very low wages to play online games all day in order to generate in-game wealth, which can be converted into actual money. Another tale tells of the heroic exploits of “sysadmins” — systems administrators — as they defend the cyber-world, and hence the world at large, from worms and bioweapons. And yes, there is a story about zombies, too.

Version 1.0 had 1 view.
Version 1.1 had 120 views.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Overclocked Stories of the Future Present.lrf (397.2 KB, 1054 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-19-2007 at 09:31 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Thanks. I have Doctorow's Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom in paperback. It's a great book and I'm looking forward to reading this one.
I had always assumed this was a novelization of the Will Smith movie but according to Doctorow:
Quote:
In spring 2004, in the wake of Ray Bradbury pitching a tantrum over Michael Moore appropriating the title of Fahrenheit 451 to make Fahrenheit 9/11, I conceived of a plan to write a series of stories with the same titles as famous sf shorts, which would pick apart the totalitarian assumptions underpinning some of sf’s classic narratives.

Infinite Matrix magazine published one of these, a story called “I, Robot,” which describes the police state that would have to obtain if you were going to have a world where there was only one kind of robot allowed and only one company was allowed to make it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
This one's VERY popular on Feedbooks (top downloaded science-fiction book: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/to...cience+Fiction ).
He also wrote another short story named "I, Row-Boat" if you're looking for another CC-licensed work about robots: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/338
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Thanks. I have Doctorow's Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom in paperback. It's a great book and I'm looking forward to reading this one.
I had always assumed this was a novelization of the Will Smith movie but according to Doctorow:
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is actually being given away. under creative commons license. So I plan on converting it and posting it here.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Bump due to I Robot being replaced with Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present which includes I Robot.
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
This one's VERY popular on Feedbooks (top downloaded science-fiction book: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/to...cience+Fiction ).
He also wrote another short story named "I, Row-Boat" if you're looking for another CC-licensed work about robots: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/338
Instead of posting all those stories seperately, I decided to recreate the book Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present. No need for seperate files any longer.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Instead of posting all those stories seperately, I decided to recreate the book Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present. No need for seperate files any longer.
I must say that unlike for p-books, I kinda like reading short stories outside of a collection. If I get bored of a book and would like to read something a bit different, I just grab a short story and read the whole thing.

I'm thinking about adding a way to download a full list on Feedbooks, this way people will be able to downloads books separately or the whole list. It'll be quite interesting, not just for series..
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I must say that unlike for p-books, I kinda like reading short stories outside of a collection. If I get bored of a book and would like to read something a bit different, I just grab a short story and read the whole thing.

I'm thinking about adding a way to download a full list on Feedbooks, this way people will be able to downloads books separately or the whole list. It'll be quite interesting, not just for series..
Well, I was going to do these separately until I realized they are all part of one book. SO I put them together in the proper order.

A list would be nice to have to download multiple books at once.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've just updated to v1.1 to add in the ToC which I left out. Sorry.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Edited to fit my current formatting.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
JSwolf... I just finished reading this one. I enjoyed it immensely! So much so that I read Someone comes to town someone leaves town too.

I especially liked I Rowboat as a Scuba addict. A sentient reef that wants to destroy all human life on earth. Very funny.

I encourage anyone who loves
sci Fi to check these out.

Someone comes to town is a little bizaare with all the name changes but I appreciate the struggle for identity the 'monsters' are going through.

Last edited by Roy White; 01-05-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ JSWolf:

Thanks for posting this for the Reader.

Have downloaded the collexion from Cory's site, but the rtf/doc form was wierd, and amn't savvy enough to combine all the files myself.

Mobile Read rocks!
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Happy to do it. Now all I have to do is actually read it. LOL! I'm going to make this my next eBook I start.