Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
How do I download metadata only for books that don't have them?

Hi,

could someone please educate me how I can select the books in my library that
  1. do not have their metadata filled / downloaded
  2. do not have covers in the database

I am trying to clean up my library and would like to download the metadata only for the books which have, say, an empty product description (comment) field. In a separate search I'd also like to find the books for which I do not have covers yet.

Is there a nice search command that one can use?

Thanks a million,

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
field:false

cover:false will show all books without a cover.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you, user_none,

even

PHP Code:
cover:false and comment:false 
is working great. This saved me a lot of time.

Thank you,

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
moltra
moltra began at the beginning.

Device: Droid X
whre do you put the PHP code. New to using Calibre for this.
moltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Enter that code in the search box at the top of Calibre.

Btw, if you didn't go through the tutorials for Calibre, it's well worth your time to do so. The program is just amazing with what it can do that I wouldn't have been even half aware of without watching at least the 2 main videos.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
moltra
moltra began at the beginning.

Device: Droid X
Thanks I will have to do that, did not realize how powerful calibre was.
moltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The program is just amazing with what it can do that I wouldn't have been even half aware of without watching at least the 2 main videos.
The same here! I was using calibre for over 6 mths just for conversions until I watched the videos and realized how much more it could do. I know I probably still use only about 1/2 of its capabilities but that half is just awesome!
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
knopix
knopix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post

PHP Code:
cover:false and comment:false 
That works fine,

but how i can get comments under 10 or 15 words?

Some like sience or book or ebook all that would be ignore if i try comment:false.

How i can catch them to change them?

wkr
Lothar

Last edited by knopix; 04-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.
knopix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopix View Post
That works fine,
but how i can get comments under 10 or 15 words?
Some like sience or book or ebook all that would be ignore if i try comment:false.
How i can catch them to change them?
wkr
Lothar
I'm not certain I understand you, but I think you want to find books where the comments field has content, but not much content. I suspect you need the len() function. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with search. You might be able to do it by creating a custom column, but a quick check through the functions available didn't turn up len. I suspect we need Charles the guru for this one.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm not certain I understand you, but I think you want to find books where the comments field has content, but not much content. I suspect you need the len() function. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with search. You might be able to do it by creating a custom column, but a quick check through the functions available didn't turn up len. I suspect we need Charles the guru for this one.
If you have SQLite Database browser installed. the query seems to work on metadata.db to get the index#

Code:
Select books.title,comments.text  from comments,books where length(text)<25 and comments.id=books.id
I used a value of 25 for 5 words of 5 chars (inc spaces)

Last edited by theducks; 04-21-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: updated query
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The function you are looking for is count. The following template
Code:
program:cmp(count(field('comments'), ' '), 15, 'true', 'true', 'false')
uses count to generate 'true' if comments contains 15 words or less, and 'false' for more than 15. A word is defined as not-spaces separated by spaces.

You could just as easily use
Code:
program:count(field('comments'), ' ')
in a column with sort/search type 'number', then use the search expression
Code:
#column:<=15
Edit: If you want the basic length, you can use strlen instead of count.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
knopix
knopix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Thank @ all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you have SQLite Database browser installed. the query seems to work on metadata.db to get the index#

Code:
Select books.title,comments.text  from comments,books where length(text)<25 and comments.id=books.id
I used a value of 25 for 5 words of 5 chars (inc spaces)
Thanks, i install SQLite Database browser but i can't use the result.
Because its not all of them shown (i know some books and they will not shown)

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The function you are looking for is count. The following template
Code:
program:cmp(count(field('comments'), ' '), 15, 'true', 'true', 'false')
uses count to generate 'true' if comments contains 15 words or less, and 'false' for more than 15. A word is defined as not-spaces separated by spaces.

You could just as easily use
Code:
program:count(field('comments'), ' ')
in a column with sort/search type 'number', then use the search expression
Code:
#column:<=15
Edit: If you want the basic length, you can use strlen instead of count.
Thank you this was i searching for :-)
You does great work.

THX
wkr
Lothar

Last edited by knopix; 04-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.
knopix is offline   Reply With Quote