Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #121
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
You do have to pay tax.

I ordered a Nook and am having it shipped to a freight forwarder, as well, and I was charged sales tax at checkout of a little under $16 (including the Industriell cover).
How strange they dont have their warehouses in Delaware where there is no sales tax.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #122
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Ah! That's useful. I'm not actually using USUnlocked* but that's a helpful bit of information to know.

Thanks, geertm. Here, have some Karma. Go on, take it. Come on, don't be shy, now...
Wow, karma!!!
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #123
ajaynaidu
ajaynaidu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
How strange, I also got partially refunded. I am now hesitant as to use a forwarding company until I get further into this

EDIT: okay, so i just went through my emails (have been away from computer yesterday). They've just sent me *another* shipping confirmed email...The Plot Thickens
Hi ...

That is weird. And today I checked my Credit card and it has been charged on 23 June. It is weird. My status in B & N account says the item has been shipped. Says nothing about cancellation. And I got a email on 25th saying my order has been cancelled. Well I have been charged on my credit card. The account shows that the nook has been shipped. And now I have placed an order with priceusa.com.au.
Bugger.. I really don't know what is happening. I have emailed B & N about my status and also the refund. If the item is shipped well.. I have two nooks coming my way. Bugger. Anyway... will update...
ajaynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #124
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I have a aunt in the US, who would be willing to ship it to me. Will B&N accept an Canadian credit Card?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #125
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I have a aunt in the US, who would be willing to ship it to me. Will B&N accept an Canadian credit Card?
If your Aunt can get it for you, you will have no problems. B&N will not ship a nook to Canada but unlike the rest of the world, Canadians can buy books from B&N.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #126
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
How strange they dont have their warehouses in Delaware where there is no sales tax.
It's not strange. They have to collect sales tax in every state where they have a store.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #127
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Yes, B&N should accept a Canadian CC. That's what I did. I had it shipped to a friend to forward it to me. I used her address as the shipping address (obviously) and I used my name and her address as the billing address. It seemed to have worked.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #128
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's not strange. They have to collect sales tax in every state where they have a store.
I was referring to the freight forwarders. They could have marketed the benefit of no sales tax added to cost.

Last edited by Fbone; 06-28-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #129
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
The sales tax is charged by B&N, not the forwarder. I'm no expert in tax, what with living in a tax-free country and all, but I assume B&N charges sales tax on all online sales, maybe?

Alternatively, maybe B&N charges sales tax because their own warehouses are located in states with tax?

Either way, the point is if you buy online and use a freight forwarder, you will have to pay tax.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #130
Shadar
Shadar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (possibly...)
Hmm, I seem to have been stuck in the same boat. A partial refund of the shipping charge through Paypal and another shipping confirmation.

What I do wonder at is the order apparently being "Shipped" on the 22nd yet all this happening 2 days later.

Normal international airmail delivery from B&N has 8-22 business days as the length of time it'll take to arrive - airmail to the UK should take 3 days from most states in the US so I might wait another couple of days then try to Skype the call center to find out what's going on/get my money back.

I wonder how many of us got stuck in this glitch?
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #131
harakka
harakka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook...?
Hi,

Same thing here, ordered mine to Finland on the 21st got it shipped on the 23rd (using International priority mail) and on the 24th received the email where they said my order was cancelled...

I contacted bn support already (via e-mail) and they just told I'd get a full refund and so far I have only got a refund for the shipping costs...

In case you wonder, the order status is still as 'Shipped on the 23rd'.
harakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #132
vasper
vasper began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
My story is about the same with a somewhat confusing development.

On the 23rd I order the Nook from Athens, Greece, using a Greek prepaid credit card.
On the 24th I receive a shipping confirmation.
Late on the 24th I receive a cancelation notice informing me of a full refund.
On the 25th I receive another shipping confirmation without a registration number this time. NO refund since!!!

I am now waiting on a responce from customer service on the status of my order.
vasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #133
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
If your Aunt can get it for you, you will have no problems. B&N will not ship a nook to Canada but unlike the rest of the world, Canadians can buy books from B&N.
*ahem*

As far as I can see, B&N does NOT sell e-books to Canadian addresses. So, it might be "fun" to find a trick bypass the "US only" restrictions B&N applies to the Nook, the next step -- buying books -- requires a similar trick: ongoing use of a US resident credit card.

And, isn't B&N the company which requires you to provide a credit card number as part of the unlocking DRM code?

Until B&N is willing to sell the device and e-books outside the US, it's really best to give them a pass if you are a full-time resident outside of the US. And wait until another provider offers wifi on an e-reader if that is such a tasty addition.

SP
In Toronto
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #134
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
you do not need to use another person Credit Card, I'm in Australia and I use my Australian Credit Card, you just need to supply a US address. Unlike the Kindle you can buy books from Kobo if you wish and then use ADE to load them onto your nook. But as I posted on another thread ... this is from the B&N forum, from what they say here they do indeed sell ebooks to Canada ...

@All,

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order. When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

Your Admin.,

--------- end cut and paste
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #135
harakka
harakka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook...?
Just got off the phone with B&N customer's support. Their answer was that the item had returned to their warehouses and it would take from 1-2 weeks to process a full refund of the item.

I asked why the item had returned back to their warehouses and she said that all the international orders had been cancelled (as we all know) due to impossibility to provide international technical support.

Too bad B&N retracted their international shipping, guess I'll have to invest on another e-reader...
harakka is offline   Reply With Quote