Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
iPod Touch and iPhone versus an E-ink device

I have a BeBook (Hanlin v3) ebook reader and an iPod Touch. I bought the BeBook for reading ebooks and the iPod as toy/gadget. While you can use the iPod Touch to read ebooks (and emagazines) I am reluctant to call the iPod Touch a ebook reader. It's ok for short reads like an article or a chapter for those odd moments that otherwise seem a waste of time (train, bus, waiting room, ...) but not for reading a whole book, reading hours on end or outdoors. Although for PDF emagazines and CHM ebooks the iPod outperforms my BeBook. I just finished a review today: http://blog.johan-mares.be/ict/gadge...o-read-ebooks/
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
What I like to do is get the same book on both my Sony and my iPhone. When I have the choice, I read it on the Sony. But I almost always have my iPhone with me and can thus slip in an easy chapter or two when I have a moment and the Sony isn't at hand..
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have a 505 and an iPod touch. I don't read on my iPod at all. If I had to give one up in fact, it would be the iPod over my 505 in a heartbeat.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want a portable device as a "companion" to an eInk reader, a PDA (Palm/Pocket PC) probably makes more sense than an iPod Touch. You can get "full" versions of pretty much all reading apps for them (Mobi, etc) whereas the iPod Touch is rather restricted (at the moment, at least) in terms of what can be read on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I have a 505 (since Feb) and I just got an iPod Touch. I like reading on both but I do prefer my 505 for reading. It's more comfortable for reading and doesn't keep going dark (shutting off) like the iPod. But the iPod was handy when we lost electric.. I could still read and play games! lol

I am not as afraid of breaking screen with iPod as I am with 505. It's easier to throw iPod in my bag and go out (it's in a sturdy flip cover case).
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
What I like to do is get the same book on both my Sony and my iPhone. When I have the choice, I read it on the Sony. But I almost always have my iPhone with me and can thus slip in an easy chapter or two when I have a moment and the Sony isn't at hand..
I do this, too. I cart my ipod touch around with me just about everywhere, whereas my ebook reader tends to stay at home (unless I'm going away for a while).

My eyes grow tireder with the ipod, most especially because it tends to reflect a lot more than the PRS-505. I'd found my old 700 reflected, and needed special angling to avoid it, but the 505 is very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I am not as afraid of breaking screen with iPod as I am with 505. It's easier to throw iPod in my bag and go out (it's in a sturdy flip cover case).
This! I broke my PRS-700 almost as soon as I got it, was heartbroken, and now I treat its successor very carefully. The ipod gets put in a soft case (from etsy, a felt cassette) and put in my pannier as I ride around. No way I'd allow my Sony the same treatment!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I pretty much use my iPhone when I'm very lazy to bring my reader. he he. But most of the time, I only use it for calls, SMS and games.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I think the first time I went a whole day without using my Touch was the day I got my 505. I still use my ipod to read at night without disturbing my partner with a book light but besides that I do all my reading on my new 505.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I owned both the iPhone and iPod Touch and I have used both as eBook readers before Stanza and Kindle for iPhone/iPod Touch was released. I was able to fininsh a lot of books between those devices but I eventually gave up because I had to manually convert and upload those books (too bad I no longer own any of them for the current "official" ebook apps).
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
In my eLibrary iPhone and iLiad coexist in a rather harmonic, I'd even say synergetic, way. Whereas I read all my ereader books on the iPhone (thanks to no (DRM) eReader port on the iLiad), all my MobiPocket books are read on the iLiad - so I'm pretty well aware of the pros and cons both devices offer and can therefore use them according to their best areas of application.

So, right now I would already be very close to Nirvana if there wasn't that harsh restriction of (still way too) many books not being available as ebooks. I recently had to resort to paper books in order to read Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn cycle.

YIKES! How clumsy these paperpacks were. And how badly printed! I am SO glad to have returned to my ebooks... Pity it's so hard to convince people of the superiority of electronic reading (especially here in Germany).

Ah, well, back to my iLiad...

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I Have both an iPhone and a Pocket Pro (Previously Gen 3) and I use both for reading. Its not an either / or situation for me, as I use almost all my devices for reading which also include a Nokia N800 and my Macbook.

Usually, I'll use my iPhone when I just want to catch a few minutes of quick reading or when I don't want to carry my reader along for an errand.

For longer reading session, i.e. longer than 20-30 minutes I definitely prefer eInk. I'll usually have different books ongoing in both to not have to worry about finding the last read point, which works out pretty well for me.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I just got an ipod touch and plan to use it for free kindle or b&n that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get on my 505. Other than that, I will read on my 505. The ipod touch screen is way too small to read on, especially since I like to enlarge the font (one of my favorite things about ebook readers!!).
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't have ebook reader tablet; so no experience to compare. But I read all Dan Brown's novels, all full-content feeds offline on my iPhone (in the train, in the rest room, on my bed, on waiting lines, etc) Very convenient because it is always in my pants.

My favorite apps:

- Kindle app: read full-content feeds retrieved from Mobipocket desktop; also some self-published ebooks (also created from Mobipocket desktop)

- eReader app: read most novels (I'm not English-speaking guy, so offline dictionary lookup feature on eReader is really helpful)

- Stanza app: seldom use now. This app is actually an all-in-one app for me because I can read both feeds and ebooks with it; the problem is the companion software on my desktop (Calibre) is too slow and always freeze my PC; and the lack of off-line dictionary lookup on Stanza itself.

Last edited by bthoven; 09-24-2009 at 07:13 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote