Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Missing text in PDFs

I'm sorry if this problem has already been discussed/solved, but somehow I couldn't find a thread about it even though I remember reading somthing in an earlier thread.
(only that I cannot remember what it was about )

I have come across a couple of PDFs now (lots of them are from my university and I would realy like to read them) that look perfectly normal when opening them on the PC, but show no text when opened with the CyBook.

Some are powerpoints convertet to PDF, some are normal PDFs including pictures, some are only plain text - on the Cybook only the lines and pictures are visible, the text is gone.

None of the PDFs are protected in any way, no DRM, no passwords, no disabled printing/copying, etc.

I think I remember something about fonts not being included properly into the PDFs as a possible reason - do I remember correctly and if - is there an easy soultion?

in advance
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Strange.

That would happen most of the times before the last firmware - and I see you have that one - but now in the last 5 to 60 Pdf’s I have opened just one did show blank.

Care to point to an example so one can test it in another Cybook?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a GO-tutorial I downloaded yesterday, I can only see a few lines, the chapternames on the top of the pages and the pictures, the text is gone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IntroToGO.pdf (288.8 KB, 435 views)
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Apparently it does not have the fonts embedded, and this is probably a problem for the Cybook.

Code:
$ pdffonts IntroToGO.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no     101  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no      96  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1            no  no  no      98  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1            no  no  no     107  0
Times-Italic                         Type 1            no  no  no     106  0
Helvetica-BoldOblique                Type 1            no  no  no      73  0
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Apparently it does not have the fonts embedded, and this is probably a problem for the Cybook.

Code:
$ pdffonts IntroToGO.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no     101  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no      96  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1            no  no  no      98  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1            no  no  no     107  0
Times-Italic                         Type 1            no  no  no     106  0
Helvetica-BoldOblique                Type 1            no  no  no      73  0
I though that these fonts where the standard fonts that each device showing pdf had to have themselves. But maybe I misremember the pdf specification.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Correct

Checked it in Acrobat 8 and it looks it has basically 2 non embedded fonts: helvetica and times roman.

It shows everything in times roman and does not show what is in helvetica.

Why is this so, I do not make any idea.

Best regard’s,
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
Pulp
Palm Addict

I installed both fonts on my Cybook, but that does not seem to help - is there a way to embed the fonts into the PDFs?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Might it be worth flagging to Bookeen, as the document displays correctly on a Sony?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru

Installed fonts do not work with Pdf files, they are use to show text if "reflow" text formats, all the ones in the Cybook less Pdf's, in this incarnation of the reader at least.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Pulp
Palm Addict

Seems this topic will be covered in one of the future updates - at least it came up in the blog and was promised to be solved.