Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
nbsp; errors and image errors (I think the image path was wrong apparently).
The nbsp error is because your file is invalid. That prevents the file from being automatically cleaned (and many issues corrected) which is why you're seeing the other errors.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
UN
I am seeing a lot of 'This file is malformed...' on SOME older calibre conversions (not all).
Unfortunately, the error message is kind of terse, not saying what-were the issue is.
I did not see this frequency of this error with prior versions. Is it possible to have a log (view log button)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I assumed it was Sigil because it happened on three different files one after the other. All three opened with errors according to Sigil. I could not correct two of the errors because I could not find them. I spent considerable time looking but had to give up. I have never known it before. When I went back to the previous 7.2 version all was well.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
UN
I am seeing a lot of 'This file is malformed...' on SOME older calibre conversions (not all).
Unfortunately, the error message is kind of terse, not saying what-were the issue is.
I did not see this frequency of this error with prior versions. Is it possible to have a log (view log button)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I assumed it was Sigil because it happened on three different files one after the other. All three opened with errors according to Sigil. I could not correct two of the errors because I could not find them. I spent considerable time looking but had to give up. I have never known it before. When I went back to the previous 7.2 version all was well.
Can you PM a link to the epub that is causing you issues?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Can you PM a link to the epub that is causing you issues?
Bedlam Boyz by Ellen Guon in the Baen Free Library.

screenshots of the errors

bernie

System
Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit on a Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz × 2 with Intel® 965G x86/MMX/SSE2 graphics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-08-08 12:02:54.png
Views:	251
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	109108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-08-08 12:04:00.png
Views:	278
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	109109  

Last edited by gbm; 08-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Bedlam Boyz by Ellen Guon in the Baen Free Library.
That book is missing the DOCTYPE in every chapter:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
should be

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

EDIT:
And to expand on that - if you set your preferences to NOT clean on open, then you will get the error messages. The book will still open in Sigil, allowing you to see your files are missing the DOCTYPE. And if you have Preview on, then you will see it is identifying a line with an nbsp entity as causing the error.

If you set your preferences to clean on open, then the DOCTYPE will be added for you and the files will display ok.

The issue is, as I think was mentioned previously, that your file contains some nbsp characters (353 of them I believe) which in 0.7.2 were probably converted to normal spaces, but in 0.7.3 those nbsp characters are now correctly being converted to the nbsp entity &nbsp; But since the files are missing the DOCTYPE header, Sigil does not know how to display that entity.

You can let Sigil clean the file for you. Or if you want to make sure nothing else is touched, you can open it without cleaning and then use Find&Replace to add the DOCTYPE line to every file.

Last edited by meme; 08-08-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Wouldn't it make some sense to have the error message that is displayed give some guidance as to what the issue is....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
That book is missing the DOCTYPE in every chapter:

Code:
should be

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

EDIT:
And to expand on that - if you set your preferences to NOT clean on open, then you will get the error messages. The book will still open in Sigil, allowing you to see your files are missing the DOCTYPE. And if you have Preview on, then you will see it is identifying a line with an nbsp entity as causing the error.

If you set your preferences to clean on open, then the DOCTYPE will be added for you and the files will display ok.

The issue is, as I think was mentioned previously, that your file contains some nbsp characters (353 of them I believe) which in 0.7.2 were probably converted to normal spaces, but in 0.7.3 those nbsp characters are now correctly being converted to the nbsp entity &nbsp; But since the files are missing the DOCTYPE header, Sigil does not know how to display that entity.

You can let Sigil clean the file for you. Or if you want to make sure nothing else is touched, you can open it without cleaning and then use Find&Replace to add the DOCTYPE line to every file.
Thanks that is what I thought it was, good to have a second and expert opinion.
It does also this when converting the html or lit to epub with calibre.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Dear friends, im not sure if this is the thread where i should post this question:
I liked a example of the Sigil site, of Alice's in the wonderland. can anz one share a stylesheet (css) of that exact epub please? Or entire book, as i understand it is already at project gutenberg.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the version open there is the free one from http://www.feedbooks.com/book/22/ali...-in-wonderland
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
Bob Houston
Bob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Windows 8 - 64 bit.
I've been following this thread with great interest because I was hoping that the Nbsp problem was solved. I'm not sure that it is.

I followed the advise to "Clean on open", with both print tidy and then also with HTML tidy. No success.

I built a short epub that consisted of:
titlepage.xhtml
NbspTestFrontPage_split_000.html
NbspTestFrontPage_split_001.html - This split contained all of the blank spaces to be fixed.

The epub opens fine in v0.7.2.

What I noticed when the epub was opened in v0.7.3, was that the Doctype entry was inserted into titlepage.xhtml and also into NbspTestFrontPage_split_000.html.

But, in NbspTestFrontPage_split_001.html, the spaces were replaced with &nbsp and then it looks like the process had an error and didn't insert the Doctype entry and then issued the error messages as noted previously in this thread.

If the process was reversed and the Doctype entry was inserted first and then the spaces changed to &nbsp, would it make a difference?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Houston; 08-09-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Bob Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #27
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Houston View Post
But, in NbspTestFrontPage_split_001.html, the spaces were replaced with &nbsp and then it looks like the process had an error and didn't insert the Doctype entry and then issued the error messages as noted previously in this thread.

If the process was reversed and the Doctype entry was inserted first and then the spaces changed to &nbsp, would it make a difference?
Post your short epub. Do you see an error every time?

If I recall correctly, the nbsp character is replaced with ann entity as soon as the file is opened, otherwise it would be lost by later routines.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Bob Houston
Bob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it isBob Houston knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
I have attached the short epub for review. The epub validated with v0.7.2.

I tested it multiple times with v0.7.3 to make sure that I wasn't wasting anyone's time on this. It received the not well formed error on each opening, whether from the file - open in a running version of Sigil or from an "open with" and picking Sigil. I also used clean on open with both pretty print tidy and HTML tidy without success.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Nbsp Cover test.epub (417.9 KB, 165 views)
Bob Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So far as I understand, the DOCTYPE is not a requirement of the ePub spec (but it certainly needs to be correct if it IS present). So since Bob's attached, sample ePub is entirely compliant before 0.7.3 touches it, shouldn't the question be; "Why is Sigil inserting entities (by converting nbsp characters) into a document when doing so will make said document become 'not well formed?'"

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to preserve the intent of the non-breaking space character (which 0.7.2 did not do at all), but the fix shouldn't really come at the cost of making otherwise valid epubs, invalid. Should it?

I don't know. This is a bit of weird one. I always have the DOCTYPE in my files, myself, so this issue doesn't really affect me, but still... it seems like it's a bit of a catch-22.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
... somewhat pleased ...

That's OK .. I'm very pleased. So far it's worked very well for me

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote