Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Lain25
Lain25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle for iPhone 3.1 can't sideload

Hi all,
I have a problem with Kindle app for iphone (iPhone 4, 5.0.1). After upgrading the app from 3.0.1 to 3.1 I noticed I can't sideload any content from my PC. Nor via USB (through software like iFunbox), nor via WIFI through iFile. Using iTunes works, the book shows in Kindle app menu with cover and opens fine. But when I use aforementioned methods - no go, Kindle app crashes. To be specific - when I put a book in Kindle\Library\eBooks folder, it shows in menu without cover and when I try to open it I get a popup with error telling me redownload item, re-register etc. Of course non of this helps. Putting mobi file to Kindle\Documents crashes the app instantly, it won't even load to menu, only titleboard and back to springboard. Judging from recent reviews in appstore this is a common issue with 3.1. Anyone knows how to deal with it so that simple sideloading works again? Many thnx in advance.
Lain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Lain25

No one encountered this?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sideloading Kindle books using iTunes is the only officially supported method, to the best of my knowledge. It works well enough for me, so I've never tried doing it any other way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
With the send to kindle I dont worry about the whole side loading thing anymore...
It will even archive them for you and you can access them on any device.

www.amazon.com/sendtokindle
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Lain25

Thanks guys, but the thing with manual sideloading is that it allows to sync stuff not bought from Amazon.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you saying that it works differently if you load books via iTunes?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wonder if Kindle has been updated to accommodate iOS 5.1.1 (and 6 which probably isnt far off) and in the interim something broke for earlier iOS versions? Is there a reason you are still on 5.0.1?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Lain25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you saying that it works differently if you load books via iTunes?
Yes, it's weird - loading via iTunes works, but manually putting exactly the same .mobi to Documents folder (target folder for files loaded via iTunes) crashes Kindle app instantly. I checked this on three different PCs with multiple methods of sideloading (WiFi, apps like iFunbox...). I could live with that, the real problem is crucial for syncing, broken Kindle\Library\eBooks loading path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I wonder if Kindle has been updated to accommodate iOS 5.1.1 (and 6 which probably isnt far off) and in the interim something broke for earlier iOS versions? Is there a reason you are still on 5.0.1?
There's no reason to be honest other than the lack of time, I'm planning on doing it this weekend. That's the last thing I can try if no other explanation pops up.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Since it was not bought from Amazon, then they might be blocking the syncing so you would then buy it from them in the future.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
OK. This happened to me too. I have Kindle app v3.1.1. When I try to open an ebook I side loaded, I get an error message to remove the book and redownload it. I loaded the book into the Kindle\Library\ebooks folder.

I haven't tried to side load a book for a while. I have been just sending the book to my kindle/kindle app via email. Just tried now to test after reading your post. Seems I remember this happening before and then it got fixed.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Try deleting \Kindle.app\Library\Preferences\BookData.sqlite. The app will recreate the database. That might help.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Lain25

Hmm, I didn't have time to update iOS or do anything to be honest. I just installed Kindle 3.1.1 and the problem is gone, just like that. Thanks for all the answers.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

My issue isn't a side loaded issue, but...

I'm running 3.1.1 on an iPad 3 and have a Personal Document that was emailed to my Kindle address, thus placed in the cloud, then downloaded to my KT. All bookmarks and highlighting done via the KT along with furthest page read are transferred to the iPad. However none of the bookmarks and highlighting done via the iPad nor the furthest page read are transferred to the KT. The sync icon on the iPad is grayed out for this book. The same issue occurs with the book on my iPod touch, except the sync icon on the iPod touch is not grayed out for this book, however pressing seems to have no effect.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle app also crashes after using PhoneDisk to sideload a book into the Library > eBooks folder...
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
My Kindle app also crashes after using PhoneDisk to sideload a book into the Library > eBooks folder...
Then don't do it that way. Do it the official way, via iTunes.