Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #181
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Glad you got it, cassidym. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's a lot more history of various concepts of time in that book that I thought there would be.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #182
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Glad you got it, cassidym. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's a lot more history of various concepts of time in that book that I thought there would be.
I'm about 50 pages into it and, so far, it is very interesting. Just hope I can find the, er, time to get through it soon.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #183
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
...Just hope I can find the, er, time to get through it soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #184
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished it and it was excellent. Like one of the reviews said, This is what the Hawking book on time should have been like. I haven't read many science books that are real page turners but this was one!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #185
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Just finished it and it was excellent. Like one of the reviews said, This is what the Hawking book on time should have been like. I haven't read many science books that are real page turners but this was one!
I wouldn't say that, but it was good.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-01-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Add "n't"
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #186
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I just finished reading What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System (FACS) edited by Paul Ekman and Erika Rosenberg. Rather than cross-post my somewhat lengthy review from the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread, I'll simply link to it here.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #187
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I would say that, but it was good.
What I liked about it was that the author spent the first third of the book discussing how humans learned to measure time (Stonehenge, Sand Clocks, Water Clocks etc). Then he got into the science (Newton, Einstein etc). Then the paradoxes of time travel (going back in time and killing your father) and so on.

Reminded me somewhat of Kaku's Einstein's Cosmos. He'd devote a chapter to Einstein the scientist then he would discuss Einstein the man. A good mix

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #188
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

And I just started Physics of the Future by Kaku and, so far (40 pages) it's very interesting
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #189
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
And I just started Physics of the Future by Kaku and, so far (40 pages) it's very interesting
Keep us posted please!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #190
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Just finished Physics of the Future and it was a very interesting read. Normally, I don't read futurist books as the authors ofter get it wrong. But Kaku addresses this in the Introduction. He points out that those who get it wrong usually fail to interview scientists. Those who get it right usually do. And he interviewed 300 for this book.

He also points out that futurists usually fail to consider Cave Man thinking. As he points out, we are all the products of evolution and ancient ways still influence us. Thus the futurists who predicted that the internet, right after it was invented, would be used exclusively for the exchange of academic information got it wrong. They failed to consider our cave man need for social connections and thus missed this powerful social aspect of the internet.

He divides the next century up into three groups (Near term: Now to 2030; Mid term: 2030 to 2070 and long term: 2070 to 2100.) He covers entertainment, energy, space, medicine, travel and other areas for all three periods and what he has to say is very interesting and pretty believable.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-17-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #191
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Just finished Physics of the Future and it was a very interesting read. Normally, I don't read futurist books as the authors ofter get it wrong. But Kaku addresses this in the Introduction. He points out that those who get it wrong usually fail to interview scientists. Those who get it right usually do. And he interviewed 300 for this book.

He also points out that futurists usually fail to consider Cave Man thinking. As he points out, we are all the products of evolution and ancient ways still influence us. Thus the futurists who predicted that the internet, right after it was invented, would be used exclusively for the exchange of academic information got it wrong. The failed to consider our cave man need to social connections and thus missed the powerful social aspect of the internet.

He divides the next century up into three groups (Near term: Now to 2030; Mid term: 2030 to 2070 and long term: 2070 to 2100.) He covers entertainment, energy, space, medicine, travel and other areas for all three periods and what he has to say is very interesting and pretty believable.

I highly recommend it.
I'm about half way through it so far. I agree, a very interesting read
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #192
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Cassidy I'll put it on my tbr list!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #193
kennyc

Anyone read Life Ascending - http://www.amazon.com/Life-Ascending...=1D5E4AJJHL8FS ?

Looks interesting.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #194
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle

I'm about halfway through, easy read and pretty interesting, in a macabre way of course.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #195
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Oh oh oh, I've been afraid to post, I don't know if this has already been suggested... But I love the book Survival of the Sickest. I know it's written for dummies, basically, in really simple language, and it goes into a lot of detail describing concepts, but I really really liked it.

Of course, I'm a nursing student.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote