Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I think it might happen that eventually paper will take second place to E-readers.
But I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime.

How fast the wave grows is going to be effected by many things. Especially cost and performance of Ebook readers. As performance goes up, and cost comes down it starts becoming more attractive. As more people buy into it, there is a bigger market for books.

Once it starts rolling it will continue to grow, but I still think it will be decades before we see the end of paper.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #32
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I don't think the world will ever see the end of paper, but I believe that within our lifetimes we will see the end of paperbacks.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Genuis View Post
Despite all those nails in book's coffin, there is one spark of life that ereaders can't extinguish: Author promotions. From Oprah handing out copies of your latest masterpiece to her studio audience, to doing the bookstore circuit- ebooks just stand there in the dust looking confused and lost. Yes Oprah could post the book on her site and let you download it for free, but it's not the same as getting a something in your hand to take home with you. As for signings what are they going to sign? Your precious ereader? No way jose. They're not promoting the company that makes your ereader, they're promoting their BOOK.
These are all promotional ideas, developed to get people's interest... meeting authors... celebrities promoting a book or giving it away... signatures. When you look at the inherent "value" of those promotions, you realize there isn't any. There's no value to someone else's signature... that, and a buck, will buy you a candy bar. A book isn't more valuable because Oprah handed it to you (or had an intern stick it under your seat, having never touched you at all). It's a false value that fades with the moment. That's what makes them PR gimmicks.

As ebooks develop, and as promoters look for new ways to promote them, we can expect to see PR events and gimmicks designed around the ebook, that will likely be different from the print-based promotional gimmicks of today. Some will be similar, like "First X customers get a FREE book," and some will be different, maybe like "YOUR NAME will be added to every Special Edition" or "Author's Edition includes X, Y and Z."

In our global marketplace, the idea of physically going somewhere to enjoy a promotion is becoming increasingly scarce. I might like an author in Tokyo, but am I likely to fly there for a signature? No way. But if I can buy a Special Edition ebook that includes his comments about the development of the book, or first edits of certain passages, say, that can entice me to buy.

In time, we will stop thinking of "signatures" and "handouts," and start thinking of "bonus content" and "participation perks," etc... and we will have moved on.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Genuis View Post
I completely agree with that statement. There's virtually no cost to produce an ebook vs the production costs plus the cost of shipping to get an actual book into your hot little hands.

I admit that I still buy books as sometimes they're more cost effective. You can use discount cards and coupons on them and as of now, most places won't let you do that unless they sell ebooks exclusively (and sometimes those are more expensive to begin with). That probably won't change unless consumers start demanding discounts on ebooks from them. Whomever "them" is.

But aside from that, ereaders are lightweight, you can choose the size text, and you can carry an entire library on it. The weight and the ability to choose a large font is a HUGE plus for seniors. Especially if you're on a limited income and can't carry a huge heavy book (large print books tend to be thicker and more expensive). Having an entire library that's digital means less books taking up space. And if you ever channel surf nowadays you will find at least one show about people who are either hoarders or their clutter is out of control. For an avid reader who will reread books (namely lil ol moi), that's another plus in their favor.

Despite all those nails in book's coffin, there is one spark of life that ereaders can't extinguish: Author promotions. From Oprah handing out copies of your latest masterpiece to her studio audience, to doing the bookstore circuit- ebooks just stand there in the dust looking confused and lost. Yes Oprah could post the book on her site and let you download it for free, but it's not the same as getting a something in your hand to take home with you. As for signings what are they going to sign? Your precious ereader? No way jose. They're not promoting the company that makes your ereader, they're promoting their BOOK.

I know I'm straddling the fence here but the voices in my head were having an argument and it came on here.

Actually aside from books being more cost effective sometimes, I still like the act of turning pages. Yet the idea of having a digital library appeals to the practical side of me. I can buy as many books as I want and the only space they'll take up is in my hard drive & ereader- not on my shelves.

Sometimes I feel like my head is filled with the Hatfields and the McCoys...

First, there is a cost. These manufactures are often the ones distributing rather than the seller. Fictionwise said as much when they dropped books a year ago. They said often when purchasing from them you are actually reaching the servers of the manufacturer. The cost of maintaining servers, data lines, etc are not cheap. Otherwise all those dot coms during the internet bubble would have survived. The promotional handout will not stop this change. This thinking is based on today's costs and technology. In a few years there will be throw away digital paper that can be handed out to people.

For those that say this will not happen in our lifetime are dead wrong. Paper will be dead in five years or less. I am not saying it will be gone. Just like there is still film for cameras it may always be around. I am saying in five years you will be hard pressed to find it.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Why wouldn't you take your Kindle to the beach? I do with a little preparation. I keep the Kindle in a Ziploc storage bag and read books. For me it's to keep out the sand that seems to get into everything at the beach. I usually have a cooler and put the the Ziploced Kindle in the cooler on a tray to keep it out of the ice when I'm not using it. I use the same Ziploc bag when I read in the bathtub.

In regard to your original question, I can easily see ebooks replacing some types of pbooks such as fiction. Not so much non-fiction especially books that are heavily dependent on full color illustrations and photographs. At least until excellent non-reflective color displays are developed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I always take my Sony Reader PRS-505 to the beach when on Holiday. I keep it in the same DVD metal box as usual. When I read it, I just read it. No additional protection required.
Unless you plan to use it as a main tool to build sand castles, it should be fine.

Last edited by astra; 06-14-2010 at 05:01 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #37
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Oprah could give away a postcard with the book cover and a blurb/download coupon on the back.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I just worry about the grave harm e-books will do to the game "rock, paper, scissors."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I just worry about the grave harm e-books will do to the game "rock, paper, scissors."
Simple: Replace paper with aluminum foil.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Paper is too nostalgic to leave us, really.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Simple: Replace paper with aluminum foil.
Or "rock" wins always
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #42
OMdeGraaf
Innovator
OMdeGraaf began at the beginning.

I am not sure wheter the e-book will beat paper books any time soon. I think one of the reasons would be that people simply don't want to think to much about holding the device the right way. A paper book can bend, fall, fly? but you have to be carefull with these expensive devices.

But in the end paper will be 'killed' just like cavedrawings were 'killed' a couple of thousand years ago. I am just not to sure about who the 'killer' will be...
OMdeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Paper is too nostalgic to leave us, really.
So were carriages... quill pens... bustles... doilies... top hats and tails...

Even paper will become a quaint little anachronism, in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMdeGraaf View Post
A paper book can bend, fall, fly? but you have to be carefull with these expensive devices.
They'll get cheaper and more durable. And people will learn to take care of them, the way they take care of any valuable possession. Again, we're equating old habits with new devices. People will change as things change.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-14-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #44
OMdeGraaf
Innovator
OMdeGraaf began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
They'll get cheaper and more durable. And people will learn to take care of them, the way they take care of any valuable possession. Again, we're equating old habits with new devices. People will change as things change.
That is true. Interesting point that makes me think about redefining some interaction design patterns. Old habits will uhm... update when the time is right and create new standards
OMdeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not according to Book Expo America

Dear All:

I just got back from the International Digital Publishing Forum/ Book Expo America.

They had some interesting statistics.

One of them is that 39% of all people who now own eBooks say that they also buy the same number or more of pBooks (printed books) as they use to do before they bought their device.

Yes, soon enough paper environmental problems will raise the price of paper sky high. Paper Mill Sludge contains 32 known carcinogens. Mitigation is woefully expensive. So, eBook Readers ARE the way to go from an enivironmental standpoint. Also, those same statistics show that eBooks are about $6.25 less expensive on average then pBooks. Then there is the main reasons why people buy eBook Readers: carry entire library around with you (meaning no landfill problems) and out-of-print classics are FREE in eBook form.

pBooks will be around for quite a while but the economic and environmental benefits of eBooks are the way to go!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote