Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #91
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I do like an antho on occasion. But I will not try any more Otto P. books. I really loathed them and in the one case we kept listening to the stories because we didn't have anything else. That was a mistake. LOATHED.

I do like noir now and then. But it is probably one of my least favorite genres. It's not one I follow, but I read Carol O'Connell and I've read some Ken Bruen. I avoid most noir these days.
I lean away from noir in both mysteries and fantasies these days although there was a time I liked a lot of doom and gloom. Who knows what I will like or hate next year

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #92
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Absolutely. I go on various kicks where I read only humor and then only urban fantasy and so on. But I think noir has gotten darker and not just in a murderous way. So much of it that ran me off was the whole "human condition" darkness--your ordinary, sad life where people were not lifting themselves up -- or would deliberately walk away from a possible good thing and choose the booze or drugs or theft over possible redemption. There's noir and then there's wallowing...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #93
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Absolutely. I go on various kicks where I read only humor and then only urban fantasy and so on. But I think noir has gotten darker and not just in a murderous way. So much of it that ran me off was the whole "human condition" darkness--your ordinary, sad life where people were not lifting themselves up -- or would deliberately walk away from a possible good thing and choose the booze or drugs or theft over possible redemption. There's noir and then there's wallowing...
Try Megan Abbott: Die a Little, The Song Is You, Bury Me Deep, and Queenpin. These are terrific old-fashioned noir.

Her most recent books are also fascinating but not traditional noir: End of Everything and Dare Me. Dare Me was developed from her short story "Cheer," which can be read here.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #94
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Try Megan Abbott: Die a Little, The Song Is You, Bury Me Deep, and Queenpin. These are terrific old-fashioned noir.

Her most recent books are also fascinating but not traditional noir: End of Everything and Dare Me. Dare Me was developed from her short story "Cheer," which can be read here.
Thanks! Never hurts to have a list of possibles...! I've heard of her, but I don't know that I've read anything by her.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #95
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That sounded interesting so I just bought Die a Little. Good reviews and sounded interesting on the description.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert