Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
veloopity
veloopity began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unhappy Your library is empty

bought the Kobo Glo, installed the Windows software, installed an update (it runs 2.5.1), and then I thought it would behave like an mp3 player where I can add folders, subfolders and files - I added a folder for me, one for my wife, and subfolders, and I copied some of my epub files to these folders.

None of this is shown when I switch on the Kobo Glo (apparently there even aren't any preinstalled books) - "Your library is empty". How I add existing epub books to the Kobo Glo is not explained anywhere and no part of the Kobo software covers this. I thought it would work similar to the Aldiko ebook software that I use on my Android tablet where I can go into the file system and simply import epub books, but no - I still have no idea how to copy epub books to the Kobo Glo.

Screen and reading look good but if I cannot access my large epub collection that I already own, this device is useless for me. I'm already very disappointed. Please help me love this thing. I saw that people use Calibre to import books, a software that looks very complicated. Isn't there a simple drag+drop way to import epub files without having to use 3rd party software? I cannot believe they made it so user-unfriendly when the device itself looks to nice.

-Michael
veloopity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you drop an epub to the root of the kobo, instead of into subfolders, it should show up just fine. (So long as it's not DRM-ridden or very poorly coded.) Alternatively, Calibre is pretty simple unless you want to do something complicated, in which case it has just about every feature you could possibly imagine. Just use the setup wizard instead of playing with the settings yourself.

All of this info and a lot more is on these forums, which many people find more useful than Kobo's official help - which is, unsurprisingly, geared toward people who want to simply sync official Kobo books rather than toward us tweakers and sideloaders. Start with the sticky threads in the Kobo subforum - FAQ and Tips & Tricks. The first post will point you to the Wiki, which has this subthread:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...obo_eReader.3F

Last edited by meeera; 05-12-2013 at 05:02 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
veloopity

ah yes, moving it to the root did work. Thanks! at least I can now see what it looks like. And if I have many books and want to use folders to organize them, I have to use Calibre? can it be done with Calibre? there is no way to manually make folders that KoboGlo recognizes?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can create as many directories on the device as you want. The only reason there could be an issue is if the total path for the filename goes beyond 260 characters. And don't put it inside the ".kobo" directory.

When you put new books on the device and disconnect, the books get processed and details are put into the internal database. While doing this, the device displays a black processing screen and counts up the percentage processed. Did this get displayed?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloopity View Post
ah yes, moving it to the root did work. Thanks! at least I can now see what it looks like. And if I have many books and want to use folders to organize them, I have to use Calibre? can it be done with Calibre? there is no way to manually make folders that KoboGlo recognizes?
Shelves is the best way to deal with that, and you can manage those with Calibre. There's a sticky with in-depth instructions.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
veloopity

it works now for some reason, I put 100 books (from a series) into a subfolder and they got recognized. I'm sure I did it in the same way yesterday when nothing got recognized. Maybe I had to first put books into the root to make it work thanks bunches all!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
veloopity

and I put these 100 books into a shelf, 6 at a time (that takes a few minutes but ok)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloopity View Post
I'm sure I did it in the same way yesterday when nothing got recognized. Maybe I had to first put books into the root to make it work
File it under one of Kobo's great mysteries. The same thing happened with my new Aura, but I've never seen it happen on a Touch. (The three Kobo's use very similar software.)

As for the shelves thing, I would suggest using Calibre. It may look difficult to setup, but it's faster and easier to use once it has been setup. It is also less error prone than Kobo's method (in my opinion).

Tags
epub, glo, import, kobo, windows