Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #181
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
OK this is weird. I gifted the books to one email address but I can log in to the account that I bought them through and download them. I am a bit baffled right now. I created a second account with the email address I had the gift sent to but could not get the books there.

Weird

ETA: I guess it is not. I had my original account open when I entered the gift certificate code so that is where the books were saved. The moral of this story, you do not need two accounts to buy the UK version in the US. You just need two emails.

Go figure

Last edited by ProfCrash; 03-27-2012 at 07:21 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #182
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I about damn near had a heart attack when I went to Amazon and saw that they were for sale.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #183
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I about damn near had a heart attack when I went to Amazon and saw that they were for sale.
Yeah who told me not to be optimistic.

Granted, I wasn't but I pretended to be for the sake of the baby.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #184
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
I disagree. For years people on this site have been asking why authors can't insist ebooks be sold without ADE/AZW-style restrictive DRM and authors have said they are forced to agree to whatever the publishers want. Well, J.K. Rowling is the 500lb gorilla in the room, and she can do whatever she wants. And she wants simple watermarking.

Good for her
My sentiments exactly. Bravo Ms. Rowling
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #185
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yeah who told me not to be optimistic.

Granted, I wasn't but I pretended to be for the sake of the baby.
Agreed, I was certainly wasn't expecting them any time soon. But I was just shocked when I went to Amazon's website and saw this........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 5.11.37 PM.png
Views:	279
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	84621  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #186
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Yup. And they are all sitting safely on my Kindles and my hard drive. I am going to start them tonight mainly to see how different the UK version is from the US version.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #187
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Choose the gift option and email the UK version to yourself at a second email address. All you have to say is that the person is a Brit. Then you get a gift certificate code and you can download the UK version. It was disgustingly simple.
Yes, someone kindly sent me a gift (perhaps that $7.99 I have someone by paypal helped), but I think it is just as possible to do it by sending a gift yourself to a second email address you own. You then redeem the gift code on your own Pottermore account.

And yes, having briefly compared the text, there are a lot of changes, in punctuation, spelling, and word-choice between the UK and US versions.

Oh - and the US versions have chapter heading illustrations, and a couple of signatures, and a swash.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #188
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The chapter heading illustrations in the US ePub are about 200 pixels square. Some are up to 300 or so wide, and a bit smaller.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #189
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

There are websites that list all the differences between the UK and US versions.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #190
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
All seven are sitting quietly on my hard drive and in my Kindle for Android.

Didn't have any trouble with the vacuum cleaner.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #191
december
Nameless Being

Sorry if this has already been asked - how are the special fonts handled? (Thinkng mainly of the Marauders' handwriting in book 3.) Are these just embedded images, or truly embedded fonts?

I'm thinking about buying the series as gift for a family member with bad eyesight, so if I can't resize the text, it sounds like we may be better off going with the UK version with no fancy fonts or illustrations.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #192
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Never read the potter books, however, I may buy them within the near future.

Looking at a list of differences I am unsure which one I will like better as I am used to half the terms being UK spelling (e.g. UK: ice lolly vs US: ice pop) and half in US spelling (e.g. US: bonnets vs UK: bobble hats).
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #193
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
Never read the potter books, however, I may buy them within the near future.

Looking at a list of differences I am unsure which one I will like better as I am used to half the terms being UK spelling (e.g. UK: ice lolly vs US: ice pop) and half in US spelling (e.g. US: bonnets vs UK: bobble hats).
Interesting link

Never heard the term bobble hat used in the UK whilst I've heard people say bonnet a lot, especially around easter time where you hear "Easter bonnet" or "Easter hat" a lot. Maybe it's a term used is southern England? Anyone from the UK that's heard that term, which part of the country are you in?

One Hundred / One Thousand, That seems a little odd? Anyone know what context that was used in such that a hundred is a thousand in the US?

Funnily enough, if I were reading a book set in a city in the US, I think I'd rather the book contain americanisms along with a pull out card that listed the differences the editors picked up on Unless it was a character from the UK in a US city, in which case you'd expect some UK slang to be used.

Last edited by JoeD; 03-28-2012 at 09:28 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #194
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Interesting link

Never heard the term bobble hat used in the UK whilst I've heard people say bonnet a lot, especially around easter time where you hear "Easter bonnet" or "Easter hat" a lot. Maybe it's a term used is southern England? Anyone from the UK that's heard that term, which part of the country are you in?
I hear it over Manchester way (Maybe it's an age thing instead of a north south divide?), I always thought a bonnet was one of those victorian type girlie hats and a bobble hat was a wool hat with a bobble on top.

Yep looks like google images agrees with me (Unless it's adjusted the search results for my area)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #195
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Bobble hat is a knitted hat with a woolen ball/pompom (bobble) stitched to the crown.
I'm in Essex (south east) below London.
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote