Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
whatnopaper
Alien life form
whatnopaper is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo tablet, Forma, iPad
Free online PDF converter

http://www.zamzar.com/ provides the ability to convert PDFs to various formats eg. doc, rtf, html. You simply upload your file and when the conversion is done (a few seconds later), a download location link is emailed to you for your converted file.

I tested this on a PDF and the converted doc looked very good. Before I convert the doc via book designer though, I need to reformat as follows:
  • Remove all the text frames
  • Remove all the carriage returns at the end of each line
  • Convert all lines that are indented more than other lines to paragraph marks.
  • Justify all the paragraphs that are left justified by default.

Is there a tool that I can use for this purpose? I tried a word macro I found in this forum but all the text ran into a long stream i.e. all the paragraph separators got lost.

I will experiment with writing my own macros (will need to learn some VB). This might be a quick and cheap solution to reading PDF's on the Sony Reader with proper resizable text.
whatnopaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Unfortunately, this, along with all the other PDF-to-whatever converters, cannot handle PDF's that have been rasterized; i.e., they must have the text still intact. Your only real option with this type of PDF is to run OCR and hope for the best.

BTW I tried Zamzar and a couple others on some PDF's I have a little while back, best bet is to find a tool that makes the PDF work for your device. Thanks for the resource, I'm sure many can still benefit from it!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert