Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about searching through ebooks

Hi Kovid

I have a question about searching in Calibre. I know I can open a book up and search for text while inside the viewer. But I am wondering if I can easily search for something if I don't remember or know which book it is in. For example I am thinking of getting some ebook cookbooks. It would be very handy to be able to search for something like 'lentil soup' and then see a list of results for books which contain this word (so I can for example compare three different books respective versions of this recipe). Is such a thing possible?

Thanks for any info.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No searching through book content is (not yet) supported. It's been on my TODO list for a while.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
It would be very handy to be able to search for something like 'lentil soup' and then see a list of results for books which contain this word (so I can for example compare three different books respective versions of this recipe). Is such a thing possible?
Not directly. You can't search book content inside Calibre. You can use file system searches outside Calibre. Alternatively, you can add Tags, or searchable info to the Comments field. (I often copy the TOC into that field for cookbooks to allow searching of recipes, but that normally only has the recipe name.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote