Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Free/Bargain Mystery/Suspense/Thriller November 2013

A thread for November.

We point out free and bargain Mystery/Suspense/Thriller titles to each other. Please don't post any self-published books, and please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I have't read it myself but it's been on my wishlist forever, I must of read some good reviews for it at some time

The Dispatcher by Ryan David Jahn
Amazo UK £0.49
Kobo UK £0.98

Quote:
Ian Hunt is the police dispatcher for the small town of Bulls Mouth, East Texas. Just as his shift is ending he gets a call from his fourteen-year-old daughter, Maggie.

Maggie, who has just been declared dead, having been snatched from her bedroom seven years ago. Her call ends in a scream.

The trail leads to a local couple, but this is just the start of his battle to get his daughter back. What follows is a bullet-strewn cross-country chase along Interstate 10, from Texas to California.

The riveting new novel from the acclaimed author of Acts of Violence and Low Life is a brilliantly original, blood drenched thriller, about the lengths a man will go to for his daughter.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I just noticed that five of Lauren Haney's excellent (IMO) ancient Egypt/Lt. Bak mystery series are available for US$ 0.99. I'm not sure if this is really a "sale", since no "normal" prices are given, but they are HarperCollins agency (or at least not-couponable) books, so it is a "deal" (again IMO).

I've been to Egypt twice, and love Egyptian history, and these made me really feel as if I were in Egypt, with a great sense of setting - even though the the fort of Buhen, which is the setting for several of the books, is now underwater due to the Aswan dam.

The five are:

Flesh of the God - which is a prequel

A Face Turned Backward - #2

A Curse of Silence - #4

A Cruel Deceit - #6

A Path of Shadows - #7 (if you don't count the prequel, which was published in between #6 and #7)

search on Kobo

search on Amazon US

Last edited by sufue; 11-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just an FYI. The Haney books are also available at OmniLit where you also get a "rebate" on part of the cost and the count towards their buy 10 get 1 free promotion.

Not having read the series I'm undecided as it looks like some books aren't available in digital.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just an FYI. The Haney books are also available at OmniLit where you also get a "rebate" on part of the cost and the count towards their buy 10 get 1 free promotion.

Not having read the series I'm undecided as it looks like some books aren't available in digital.
Yes, two of the eight are not available as ebooks - the first one and the third one. And one of the others is $5.XX IMS, and not $0.99 like the five listed ones. But IMO it's still quite a nice series, and since the prequel IS available electronically, I think the missing ones wouldn't be fatal. Or perhaps your local library might have the "official" first one, The Right Hand of Amon, in DTB, and you could try out the series for free, even if not digitally? Of course, there's also no guarantee how long the other five will stay at $0.99.

Anyway, I am predisposed to like historical mysteries, and ones from ancient Egypt even more, so you have to take this with a grain of salt, but I quite enjoyed this series from back in the days of DTB only, and am looking forward to rereading most of it now - or all of it if I can find my old DTBs for the missing ones.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I just noticed that five of Lauren Haney's excellent (IMO) ancient Egypt/Lt. Bak mystery series are available for US$ 0.99. I'm not sure if this is really a "sale", since no "normal" prices are given, but they are HarperCollins agency (or at least not-couponable) books, so it is a "deal" (again IMO).

I've been to Egypt twice, and love Egyptian history, and these made me really feel as if I were in Egypt, with a great sense of setting - even though the the fort of Buhen, which is the setting for several of the books, is now underwater due to the Aswan dam.

The five are:

Flesh of the God - which is a prequel

A Face Turned Backward - #2

A Curse of Silence - #4

A Cruel Deceit - #6

A Path of Shadows - #7 (if you don't count the prequel, which was published in between #6 and #7)

search on Kobo

search on Amazon US
They're also $.99 at Sony and B&N. I read/owned the paperbacks years ago and enjoyed them; I'm thrilled to get them as ebooks. Even better, I have gift cards for both Sony and B&N waiting to be used on non coupon-able books. I hope the remaining titles come to e-book form soon; I wonder if the $5.99 title would be coupon-able at Kobo with a short "trip"?

I love a good Egyptian mystery!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
A World of Trouble (Jack Shepherd #3) by Jake Needham, first published by Marshall Cavendish, is free today.

UK

Canada
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
A World of Trouble (Jack Shepherd #3) by Jake Needham, first published by Marshall Cavendish, is free today.

UK

Canada
Also free in the US, but I'm on a tablet, and can't figure out how to get the link in here. But just search and it pops right up. (Maybe someone else can provide the link...)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Also free in the US, but I'm on a tablet, and can't figure out how to get the link in here. But just search and it pops right up. (Maybe someone else can provide the link...)

There you go

US link
http://www.amazon.com/WORLD-TROUBLE-...qid=1383743755
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Free Today on Amazon - Ratcatcher by Tim Stevens

Purkiss's job is straightforward. Track down agents of the intelligence services who are taking kickbacks, committing crimes, or otherwise abusing their positions. And bring them to justice.
Straightforward doesn't mean easy...
After a renegade British former spymaster, Fallon, is sighted in the Baltic city of Tallinn on the eve of a historic summit meeting between the Russian and Estonian presidents, Purkiss is despatched to investigate, and uncovers a conspiracy that threatens to tear Europe, and the world, apart.
But Purkiss has personal reasons for going after Fallon. Four years ago, Fallon was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Purkiss's fiancée, a murder Purkiss himself witnessed.
Now, in an atmosphere of treachery and sudden violence, as the countdown begins to a potentially catastrophic conflict between Russia and the West, Purkiss must keep his desire for revenge under control for the sake of the world's - and his own - survival.

UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ratcatcher-J...362247031_f_85

US
http://www.amazon.com/Ratcatcher-Joh...ds=tim+stevens
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, sorry to be confusing. The book title was the US link. Then I decided to add the UK and Canada links.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
free at amazon: Dead Secrets (An Inspector Jim Meldrum Thriller) by Frederic Lindsay

Quote:
Ian Bower had worked abroad for many years - and made himself plenty of money.

He comes back to Edinburgh to retire.

He seems to have had few acquaintances and no enemies.

So why was he murdered?

Detective Inspector Jim Meldrum is initially baffled by the case. There are no leads.
Until, that is, an unknown man appears at his funeral, pisses into the open grave and runs off.

Step by step, Jim Meldrum uncovers the sinister secrets surrounding Bower’s past.

Secrets that have lain buried for more than thirty years…

Secrets which will emerge with unexpected and devastating consequences...

And Secrets which are about to take Meldrum himself to the edge of darkness…
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Secrets-I...p/B00FYW8ZTC/r
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The Hollow Man, by Oliver Harris, is $1.99 at Amazon. This is a HarperCollins title, so it should be the same price elsewhere, but right now BN and Kobo are both showing the price as $10.99.

Quote:
“A twisting spiral of lies and corruption, a pitch-perfect portrait of contemporary London, and a beguiling bastard of a hero—what a recipe for a great read.”
—Val McDermid, author of The Mermaids Singing

Describing London police detective Nick Belsey, hero of The Hollow Man, an enthrallingly original thriller from British crime novelist Oliver Harris—the Daily Mail declared, “He’s got to be London’s coolest cop.” Crime fiction fans are sure to agree, especially those hooked on the novels of Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, Mark Billingham, and Jo Nesbø. The first book in a series of tense and twisting police procedurals, The Hollow Man starts with Belsey at rock bottom, and then embroils him in a brazen identity theft scam and possible murder that could leave him either wealthy or dead. It’s time to discover Oliver Harris, a new master of noir who’s destined to be a big man at the scene of the crime.
I read this one last year, and enjoyed it, though it's a bit overlong. The detective is an interestingly flawed and shady character. If you like noir, it's worth a look.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
BelleZora
Wizard

Scavengers (Posadas #1) by Steven F. Havill from Poisoned Pen Press is free today at Amazon US. It was first published by St. Martin's Press in 2002 and is highly rated at Amazon and Goodreads. For fans of Southwest US mystery fiction.

It was not free at Amazon UK and Canada when I checked.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Scavengers (Posadas #1) by Steven F. Havill from Poisoned Pen Press is free today at Amazon US. It was first published by St. Martin's Press in 2002 and is highly rated at Amazon and Goodreads. For fans of Southwest US mystery fiction.

It was not free at Amazon UK and Canada when I checked.

Also free from iTunes (US) as a DRM-free ePub.

Not free at B&N or Kobo when I looked.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote