Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #751
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
I just got my new black Kindle 4NT and I'm having trouble installing Duokan.
I downloaded the K4NT version from this post
I connected with USB my device.
I then copied to the root folder the DK_system folder and then diagnostic_logs, data.tar.gz and ENABLE_DIAGS from the folder K4._4.1.0 (there is also another folder in the zip, called K4._4.0.0. to 4.0.1. , but my device has the 4.1 (1615370055 FW).
I restarted the device and I got into diagnostics. I then went to exit-reboot-disable diags. I choose disable diagnostics and then when installation started I get this:

Device is unknown type

ERROR device is not kindle 3/4

Then the Kindle restarts regularly with the official OS.
Any ideas about that?
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #752
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What is the first four characters of your serial number?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #753
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Problem solved.
It seems that the version in the first page of the topic is not suitable for the K4 black.
I downloaded the one from the official site forum (had to guess what to press in order to download the file) and I installed the R6.4 which seems that it was released today.

Last edited by GlassX; 10-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #754
loopus
loopus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Ok i installed the lastest version of duokan 12-october from their forum...
first of all it should be noted that the download site were you are redirected has a captcha in chinese and i could download only thanks to a program called jdownloader which solves the captcha automatically..
anyhow i installed duokan but...no menus in english? i found the setting to change the language but there is no other language then what i looks like various version of chinese...

DID I MISS SOMETHING HERE?? are you all using the chinese menu?

so anyhow i didnt know how to uninstall it and i just removed all the dk files but i am not sure it was the right thing..i restarted and the old firmware works although it seems to me that it takes more time to boot...maybe i did something wrong...how can i be sure to go back to the original firmware?

tHANKS A LOT...
matteo
loopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #755
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopus View Post
DID I MISS SOMETHING HERE?? are you all using the chinese menu?
which version of kindle do you have?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #756
loopus

sorry i forgot that obvious important detail!
kindle no touch 4.0
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #757
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sorry i forgot that obvious important detail!
kindle no touch 4.0
Duokan has localisation support for non-touch. see this post.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #758
loopus

Hi thomass..thanks for your answer...anyway although i do understand english and i normally understand a bit of tech talk i cannot understand what do you mean with localization support...and worst i even cannot find any explaining reference to it in the post you linked...

the main question remains...why the version of duokan i donwloaded (latest one 12-10) has no english option...
1)english hs been disabled on newer version (which is the version with english then?)
or
2) there is some hidden trick i missed...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #759
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Hi thomass..thanks for your answer...anyway although i do understand english and i normally understand a bit of tech talk i cannot understand what do you mean with localization support...and worst i even cannot find any explaining reference to it in the post you linked...

the main question remains...why the version of duokan i donwloaded (latest one 12-10) has no english option...
1)english hs been disabled on newer version (which is the version with english then?)
or
2) there is some hidden trick i missed...
localisation means changing the language. ie the same thing with what you asked for.
you should change the language via a menu item as described on the linked post.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #760
cyrilhopkins
the_funtom
cyrilhopkins began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
Problem solved.
It seems that the version in the first page of the topic is not suitable for the K4 black.
I downloaded the one from the official site forum (had to guess what to press in order to download the file) and I installed the R6.4 which seems that it was released today.
How do you download from the links shown in the official site mentioned in the link above....One link takes you to http://www.kuaipan.cn/file/id_60196535043883066.htm tried the link a popup comes up and I guess I'm supposed to fill in something but dunno what . So does the second link http://www.vdisk.cn/down/index/11093404#? .......Please help! What am I supposed to fill in?
cyrilhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #761
GlassX
Connoisseur

It took me some hours (!!) to figure it out and I'm not sure how I did it.
You don't need to fill anything. I used the kuaipan link.
You see two "download" links. A green one left and another one right.
However there is in the above line (建议先保存到快盘再下载,可防止文件过期、分享者取消分享。) a small blue hyperlink.
Click there. Then you get a pop-up, click the blue button and the download will start automatically. In my case it was extremely slow, so you will have to wait.
I hope I helped you.

I must say I'm disappointed by the new Duokan. I have the exact same opinion as buddha2012 had in this post.
For me Duokan in my K3 had become the primary OS. I used it for all the unsupported files (like epub) and in the end I even used it for the mobis.
However this Duokan2012 for K4NT, although more "polished" looks really ugly for reading. The contrast is really awful and the letters look like when you print something with your printer and the ink level is low.
From what I saw in the chinese forums (google translated it while trying to figure out how I can download it) there are people complaining about that. I really hope they can improve it, because for me it looks way too bad to use it.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #762
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
In my case it was extremely slow, so you will have to wait.
using Firefox with the extension: "DownThemAll" incrreases the download speed.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #763
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@thomass: There may be some dependencies there about using "DownThemAll" in Firefox.

Both I and other people have encountered cases where "DownThemAll" either gets corrupted files or incomplete files.
I never investigated the 'how, what, why' behind the failures, just stopped using it.

Last edited by knc1; 10-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #764
LRond
LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.LRond can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Touch
hey guys,

i just installed the latest version of doukan for KT, but the whole menu is in chinese, i figured out where to change the language but the dropdown menu is greyed. does any1 got an idea how to change it into english or even into german?

the "DK_System\xKindle\res\language" folder contains an english txt file and many others

regards,
LRond
LRond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #765
Mayeffect
Mayeffect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Disabling Duokan boot screen splash

Hey guys, I just want disable Duokan boot screen splash where you are promoted to choose between Kindle and Duokan, I already know how to change the default booting system (from this thread).

What I want is when I restart my Kindle it will restart the normal way like Duokan doesn’t exist, I use Duokan with launchpad only to read same of my pdf using the “enable smart layout”. If there isn’t any way to do that, are there any alternative pdf read that support the option “enable smart layout”.

Thanks in advance, English isn’t my native language .
Mayeffect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf