Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Cell phone charger?

We just bought a pair of version 3 Motorola Razor cell phones and...the charger uses a USB plug with the same configuration as the PRS-550!

This begs the question - can I charge my Sony using my cell phone charger?

Hmmmm
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
You know you want to. It's almost like it's whispering to you.

(Research some threads here; it's been discovered that the PSP chargers works just fine on the Reader.)
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think anyone's found a mini-USB charger that works for the Reader, but you can adapt it to charge through the power connection if you can find an adapter. As Taylor514ce says, the PSP charger/adapter should work fine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
We just bought a pair of version 3 Motorola Razor cell phones and...the charger uses a USB plug with the same configuration as the PRS-550!

Hmmmm
Nope. It won't work. I've tried a USB iPod power charger and the 505 did not recognize it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post

Nope.

The current PRS-505 is squirrley with regards to charging from mini-USB. Unless there is a live computer on the other end, the battery will simply drain instead of charging.

So leaving your PRS-505 hooked up to a cell phone mini-USB charger will drain it. Leaving your PRS-505 hooked up to a turned-off computer will drain it.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
You can charge the PRS from any USB power plug, you just need a cable that plugs into the power port of the PRS and not into the mini USB port.
I bought a fitting plug from Radio Shack and attached it to a spare USB cord. That way I can use ANY USB connector from a laptop, wall charger or what not. This also eliminates the start-up procedure after unplugging from the computer. Wal-Mart has a very small wall charger with two USB outlets, works like a charm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3602.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	11720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3604.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	11721  

Last edited by aru; 03-23-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added some pictures
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by aru View Post
You can charge the PRS from any USB power plug, you just need a cable that plugs into the power port of the PRS and not into the mini USB port.
I bought a fitting plug from Radio Shack and attached it to a spare USB cord. That way I can use ANY USB connector from a laptop, wall charger or what not. This also eliminates the start-up procedure after unplugging from the computer. Wal-Mart has a very small wall charger with two USB outlets, works like a charm...
What you describe is a homebrew version of a simple USB PSP charging cable.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
What you describe is a homebrew version of a simple USB PSP charging cable.
Re-inventing the wheel is my favorite ...
I actually had the plug from a former project on a solar charger for the Sony and the USB cable from a malfunctioning external harddrive. And I could not get a Sony PSP charger locally, actually neither Radio Shack nor Wal Mart had a power adapter that yields 5V.
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My wife and I had random success (and more failures) with our RAZR chargers. But when it fails there is no indication and they DRAIN the Sony battery! Get a PSP charger. Two thumbs up from me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
The current PRS-505 is squirrley with regards to charging from mini-USB. Unless there is a live computer on the other end, the battery will simply drain instead of charging.
Or my solar charger, or my "12V to USB" charger, or a variety of other things that I've tried. Sure, some computers do work, but some don't - I've found two so far that drain the battery.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know that on the 500, you had to have a "live" computer at the other end in order to charge, but I thought that the 505 had been changed you it would charge from any USB power source?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know that on the 500, you had to have a "live" computer at the other end in order to charge, but I thought that the 505 had been changed you it would charge from any USB power source?
Nope. In my experience, the 505 will charge from a pc that recognizes the Reader as a USB storage device, even w/o the SOny software installed. But it does *not* charge from a usb wall-plug charger. At least not from the 2-3 I've tried.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a shame. Being able to charge from any USB power source is very handy on the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
That's a shame. Being able to charge from any USB power source is very handy on the Gen3.
Yes, I did it from an USB battery at Heathrow airport a couple of days ago. Just charging 15 minutes or so saved the whole trip home.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Having a PSP-USB cord lets you charge from any USB port. Not quite as easy as usung any available mini-usb plug, but pretty robust.

Maybe it's a firmware issue? (The reader looks for an appropriate connection thru the usb port before allowing it to charge?) Maybe Sony can fix this in a firmware update?