Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
rshuck
rshuck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/GP2X
PRS-500 with more than 64MB RAM?

Am I missing something, or is my PRS special? I fit tested more than 64MB on the reader, and everything I have checked works fine.

Any clues, or is this something that has changed?
rshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nope, that's entirely normal. The extra storage is part of the 64MB reserved for the OS. It doesn't need all of it so we get to use it. Nice, isn't it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
rshuck
rshuck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/GP2X
Well, I'm a total noob. That extra bit comes in handy.. I have a bunch of collections that, sadly, will not work on the SD card. Thanks for the help.
rshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's normal. The Reader is one of the few devices on the market where you actually get more than advertised . I suspect that Sony originally "reserved" all but 64MB for the o/s, so they advertised 64MB as being the available storage. Since the o/s doesn't currently use all that space, we get the extra 30-odd MB as additional storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's one of the things that impressed me about the way they're handling the PRS line — they're not doing the thing where they say "It has X amount of RAM ... but you only get access to a quarter of it." Instead they're quoting a minimum amount of space that they've reserved for user use. Basically committing to not take that section away from you later. I thought from the start that it's a pretty classy move, and I'm glad that they're continuing the practice on the 505.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote