Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
fictionwise and mobipocket format

not sure if this is the right forum and if not feel free to move

I do not know if anyone else has noticed this but virtually all of the new releases on fictionwise website are either ereader or epub and not in mobipocket. Yet the same book is available at the same time at the mobipocket website. A good example is today. All john Grisham's novels have been released today.... they are all in epub or ereader at fictionwise yet they are released at the same time on mobipocket website.

Is fictionwise abandoning mobipocket format because they are now owned by B&N?

i wrote an email to fictionwise about this last week about a different book not available in mobi and asked them why. All I got was an answer saying it was now available in mobi but they did not really answer my question about continued support..

Any comments

Elihu
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Amazon has killed the Mobipocket format by not allowing other DRM formats on ereaders that support Mobipocket DRM.
All the new ereaders support ePub DRM instead of Mobipocket DRM, even older ereaders like the Cybook gen3 now support ePub.
So business-wise I think that moving from Mobipocket DRM to ePub DRM is a good decision by Fictionwise.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Amazon has killed the Mobipocket format by not allowing other DRM formats on ereaders that support Mobipocket DRM.
All the new ereaders support ePub DRM instead of Mobipocket DRM, even older ereaders like the Cybook gen3 now support ePub.
So business-wise I think that moving from Mobipocket DRM to ePub DRM is a good decision by Fictionwise.
I think it's a bad decision, as you will remove all Kindle readers from your client-base... The best decision would be to support all formats, that way all readers has access to all books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think it's a bad decision, as you will remove all Kindle readers from your client-base... The best decision would be to support all formats, that way all readers has access to all books.
The Kindle cannot read Mobipocket DRM books (at least not without using Python scripts to modify them). The Kindle can only read non-DRM Mobipocket books and the multiformat (non-DRM) books at Fictionwise are as far as I can see still available in Mobipocket format.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the only difference between the kindle and every other non-epub reader is the fact that with the kindle you have to register your device and otherwise you have register a code. The resulting mobipocket book is the same.

But, I'm moving away from Fictionwise. About 100% of the books (drm-ed) I want to buy there, I can't buy anyway.
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
But, I'm moving away from Fictionwise. About 100% of the books (drm-ed) I want to buy there, I can't buy anyway.
Why do you think you could buy them elsewhere? DRMed books will still be DRMed at other online sellers. If you're referring to geographical restrictions then that should be the same at other online resellers, too.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
the only difference between the kindle and every other non-epub reader is the fact that with the kindle you have to register your device and otherwise you have register a code. The resulting mobipocket book is the same.
But Fictionwise will not accept a Kindle PID, so even though the file type is the same, there's no way to "unlock" the book (legally). You still have to strip the DRM to use it on a Kindle. Fictionwise has big ugly warnings that show up every time you buy a DRMed Mobi book that it won't work on a Kindle.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The Kindle cannot read Mobipocket DRM books (at least not without using Python scripts to modify them). The Kindle can only read non-DRM Mobipocket books and the multiformat (non-DRM) books at Fictionwise are as far as I can see still available in Mobipocket format.
And, if you're savvy enough to strip the DRM from mobipocket books for your Kindle, then you should be savvy enough to strip the DRM from the epub books and use Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.

I've bought tons of mobipocket books that my Sony theoretically couldn't open. I stripped the DRM and converted them to epub.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
And, if you're savvy enough to strip the DRM from mobipocket books for your Kindle, then you should be savvy enough to strip the DRM from the epub books and use Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.

I've bought tons of mobipocket books that my Sony theoretically couldn't open. I stripped the DRM and converted them to epub.

-Marcy
I've no idea how to strip DRM from epubs... From what I've heard, it's much more complicated than mobipocket. Also, you need an extra application to even download them (correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to be wrong!)
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've no idea how to strip DRM from epubs... From what I've heard, it's much more complicated than mobipocket. Also, you need an extra application to even download them (correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to be wrong!)
For the first item.. stripping the DRM is about the same. There is one extra step like what you had to do to strip from .libs.. and that is to get the key. Once you have that, it's pretty much the same.

You are correct that you need Adobe Digital Editions or Sony eBook Library to download ePubs that are protected with Adobe DRM. But, not DRM free ePubs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Sweetpea, I sent you a PM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee
You can buy MultiFormat eBooks at fictionwise and they will email it to your Kindle... yes.

I'm not sure if they call this a Kindle store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

-Marcy
I don't think it's merely a matter of saviness, but rather the state of the relevant software. The scripts to de-DRM mobipocket format is pretty stable, while the scripts to de-DRM epub is not there yet.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Why do you think you could buy them elsewhere? DRMed books will still be DRMed at other online sellers. If you're referring to geographical restrictions then that should be the same at other online resellers, too.
Not all shops enforce them equally rigourously.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote