Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
jgawne
jgawne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Weird formatting residue from WORD

I am nearly insane from days of bashing at an issue of formatting. Seems the author somehow changed something in his WORD formatting midway through his manuscript, then changed it again a second time near the end. The changes affect font and line spacing. Looks fine in word, but when you go to sigil epub it shows up. fix it in Sigil and then when you convert to mobi it comes back.

Sadly, there are bold and italic parts that are intregal to the book, so I can't just wipe all formatting.

I have stared at the codes for hours until my eyes are blurry. I think I have gotten the font issue solved by brute force, but the spacing is a total mystery. I had found that part of the WORD file had "add 10 points below every paragraph" and took that out. Minor difference but it still jumps from one line to two, or none, almost at random.

I just don't want to give up (matter of pride). I have tried all manner of conversions, reconversions, manual code editing in sigil, etc. I even downloaded open office thinking maybe it worked like Word Perfect (in that it actually let you see the format codes with out any hassle) but no luck.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I am normally not back with html coding, but I just cannot find where this code is lurking.
jgawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgawne View Post
I am nearly insane from days of bashing at an issue of formatting. Seems the author somehow changed something in his WORD formatting midway through his manuscript, then changed it again a second time near the end. The changes affect font and line spacing. Looks fine in word, but when you go to sigil epub it shows up. fix it in Sigil and then when you convert to mobi it comes back.

Sadly, there are bold and italic parts that are intregal to the book, so I can't just wipe all formatting.

I have stared at the codes for hours until my eyes are blurry. I think I have gotten the font issue solved by brute force, but the spacing is a total mystery. I had found that part of the WORD file had "add 10 points below every paragraph" and took that out. Minor difference but it still jumps from one line to two, or none, almost at random.

I just don't want to give up (matter of pride). I have tried all manner of conversions, reconversions, manual code editing in sigil, etc. I even downloaded open office thinking maybe it worked like Word Perfect (in that it actually let you see the format codes with out any hassle) but no luck.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I am normally not back with html coding, but I just cannot find where this code is lurking.
Never Trust Sigils (or Calibre's) viewer. There are known quirks . You found one of them.

ADE and the device target should be your final checks for proper rendering.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

For one thing, it's in the CSS, pure and simple. The space below will be in the paragraph styling in the CSS; font kerning or spacing will be in any SPANS you find in the code. You can't fix this in Word, not easily. You could try Bookcreator to tag the italics and the bold, and then clear the formatting, then restore the font characteristics (italic and bold) but honestly--this sort of cruft is absolutely normal, and it gets fixed in the coding. There's nothing unusual about this, and you have to look at the top of the html file to see the CSS, in Sigil. That's the fast & easy way--and then regex out the extraneous spans. I can virtually (pun intended) guarantee that they are there.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could try my macro for the export. It will ignore the styles set in Word, but will retain the formatting like bold and italic. If you want to take a style with you, that is possible. Be warned that it will not create a stylesheet for you, but will give the corresponding paragraphs that stylename.
If you do not enter userstyles, all paragraphs are resetted to normal paragraphs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
jgawne

Oh, I've stared at the CSS trying to figure out where this lurks, and spent hours removing spans and tweeking the codes. I am almost ready to give up, but I was trying some supposed style cleaners.

Toxaris, more than happy to try your macro, but I don't know where it is.
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A search on this forum with the words 'word macro' would give you as a first hit:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=word+macro
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Oh, I've stared at the CSS trying to figure out where this lurks, and spent hours removing spans and tweeking the codes. I am almost ready to give up, but I was trying some supposed style cleaners.

Toxaris, more than happy to try your macro, but I don't know where it is.
Ok, let's start at the top:
  1. Is every paragraph in the file the same style? For example, are they all MsoNormal, as is usual, or have you reset them all to plain p styling?
  2. Have you cleared out every span?
  3. Have you searched the CSS for the font(s) that are showing up?

Can you copy and paste a small section of the html from wherever you have a change-up that you can't explain, along with the CSS?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
jgawne

Thanks for the help. I 'think' I somehow figure a way around this. I had put it into a (print) indesign book, and tried the new 'export to epub." Worked like a charm. I bet there are a lot of extraneous codes floating around in it, but it seems to work now.

I know, I really should go and do massive removal of uneeded codes, but for now I am so sick of the thing that I figure it can wait until later.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
There is a webpage http://wordoff.org/ that will strip all Word formatting out of a document, leaving only the <em>, <strong>, <i>, <b>, and <p> tags.

I've used it for some very badly formated documents.
jjm6383 is offline   Reply With Quote