Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I just spoke to Collins in Melbourne and they said the Kobo Glo will be avaible by mid-November in store and on line at $159.99 AUD.
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #17
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
october 1st and still no kobo glo in the states.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Oct. 3, and the only US retailer that even admits the new models exist has removed the listing for the Mini entirely, while the Glo still says "Coming Soon" there.

VERY annoying!
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafers View Post
ugh... indigo doesn't ship outside of canada and there is no option to pre-order on best buy...
Dang.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I've tried WHSmith, Indigo and others listed in Canada and UK, and none will ship to the US.

Apparently Kobo is going with an "anywhere but U.S." marketing strategy, which I find amazing and damned annoying.

My response to this is that I will never, ever, buy a book from Kobo, even after I eventually get my hands on a Glo and/or a Mini.
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
i'll try to look upon this whole ordeal positively by using the time the glo is delayed to study customer reviews and see if it's actually worth buying
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I've tried WHSmith, Indigo and others listed in Canada and UK, and none will ship to the US.

Apparently Kobo is going with an "anywhere but U.S." marketing strategy, which I find amazing and damned annoying.

My response to this is that I will never, ever, buy a book from Kobo, even after I eventually get my hands on a Glo and/or a Mini.
I guess you don't know that the 2 are not the same company? Kobo books are owned by Chapters-Indigo, a Canadian company, and Kobo hardware is Rakuten, a Japanese company (since last year when Chapters-Indigo sold the hardware division to them) who operate separately...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
From what I've read about their plans, Kobo is definitely not going with an "anywhere but the US" strategy. However, they are the #3 or #4 player in ereader hardware in the US. It's probably hard for them to get the retailers to take them seriously.

The new relationship with the Independent Booksellers Association may help somewhat, as the agreement allows the independents to call the Kobo their own.

As far as selling directly to the States, I doubt they want the hassle of continually dealing with customs.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo books are not owned by Chapters-Indigo, Cedesja5. Kobo (the whole kit'n'kaboodle are owned by Rakuten. Chapters Indigo started Kobo and were the majority stockholders in it before the sale.

Chapter-Indigo is to Kobo in Canada as it is to FNAC in France and WHSmith in the UK, etc. The formal partners seem to have agreements that let them sell the new devices first. In the US, Borders used to be that partner. In the future, the official Kobo partners in the US will most likely be the Indie Bookstore association that Kobo recently announced an agreement with.

I am sure that Kobo will miss you dreadfully, EldRick.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I would seem like Kobo could at least make a public statement on their game plan for release in the US and other locations. If they would just be upfront about it, it would eliminate a lot of ranting, confusion, and customer resentment.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo books are not owned by Chapters-Indigo, Cedesja5. Kobo (the whole kit'n'kaboodle are owned by Rakuten. Chapters Indigo started Kobo and were the majority stockholders in it before the sale.

Chapter-Indigo is to Kobo in Canada as it is to FNAC in France and WHSmith in the UK, etc. The formal partners seem to have agreements that let them sell the new devices first. In the US, Borders used to be that partner. In the future, the official Kobo partners in the US will most likely be the Indie Bookstore association that Kobo recently announced an agreement with.

I am sure that Kobo will miss you dreadfully, EldRick.
Thanks for the correction....
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I would seem like Kobo could at least make a public statement on their game plan for release in the US and other locations. If they would just be upfront about it, it would eliminate a lot of ranting, confusion, and customer resentment.
I am a bad person. As much as i appreciate (and actually agree with) what you are saying, Avwriter, I am getting a little tickle when I see the outrage folks living in the US are expressing over a situation that happens frequently to every other country in the world. I am still waiting for Google to tell me when I can buy music from the Play store, or a Paperwhite from Amazon. The list could go on and one.

I am, btw, US born and bred. I have lived in Canada for about 12 years.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
I wonder if I should get my hands on a kobo glo from Canada if the warranty would be good here?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
Exactly - that is the real issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am a bad person. As much as i appreciate (and actually agree with) what you are saying, Avwriter, I am getting a little tickle when I see the outrage folks living in the US are expressing over a situation that happens frequently to every other country in the world. I am still waiting for Google to tell me when I can buy music from the Play store, or a Paperwhite from Amazon. The list could go on and one.

I am, btw, US born and bred. I have lived in Canada for about 12 years.
No offense taken. I understand your amusement, though I am hardly outraged. If they have limited supply, it is perfectly understandable. I just wish they would be more open about it.

Beyond that, Kobo is normally at a disadvantage here because of Amazon. However, they are missing a rare opportunity since Amazon is experiencing substantial delivery delays even locally with its equivalent model, and it will be a while before the KPW is available in stores. If Kobo had gotten the Glo on store shelves here on Oct 1, or even if they could do so within the next week or two, they could gain a rare advantage since it will be another month before the KPW is easily obtainable here.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote