Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #436
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi Peter 1977, the GUI is just a batch builder app that sits on top of the Mobi2Mobi Perl tool. I have not made any significant changes to the GUI as the underlying tool has had no major updates for sometime. If you would like to see some changes made to Mobi2Mobi then I would recommend that you ask in the Mobiperl thread as the author of the tools frequents there more regularly. Feel free to grab the code to the GUI though and have a tinker. If you make any interesting mods let us all know here.

Cheers
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #437
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 1977 View Post
It would be nice to see a dictionary option added to this program as with the kindle touch there is less flexibility over selecting the dictionary and publishers are putting them under the wrong language. In the past with other kindle this did not matter. I have one here that i had to unpack, adjust and then it wouldnt repack due to utf-8 errors, its much easier to go in directly and adjust it.

It would also be nicer to see more lanagauge in the language list as this list is more important now too, I see spanish wasnt listed and had to set it as neutal and hope it used the correct dictionary. In addition to adding spanish maybe you could add a manual entry and provide a list of codes etc for this. I see there have been no updates for a long time, has a new program superseded this?
You can set the language by giving the actual number. So The GUI can be extended with new languages without changing the mobi2mobi program.
For example:

--language fi

and

--language 0x000b

should give the same result.

I actually do not know what a dictionary option is. Also as you have noted the UTF8 support is non-existant (it actually packs the file in the wrong way).
Calibre I think support utf8 for mobipocket generation. But this hould be irrelevant for mobi2mobi.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #438
Peter 1977
Peter 1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Hi Peter 1977, the GUI is just a batch builder app that sits on top of the Mobi2Mobi Perl tool. I have not made any significant changes to the GUI as the underlying tool has had no major updates for sometime. If you would like to see some changes made to Mobi2Mobi then I would recommend that you ask in the Mobiperl thread as the author of the tools frequents there more regularly. Feel free to grab the code to the GUI though and have a tinker. If you make any interesting mods let us all know here.

Cheers
i am a little confused. firstly could you supply the link of the forum you are referring to ? secondly are you suggesting that the code you are building your gui on does or does not support the ability to modify the dictionaryin/out info in the metadata inside the mobi file?
Peter 1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #439
Peter 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You can set the language by giving the actual number. So The GUI can be extended with new languages without changing the mobi2mobi program.
For example:

--language fi

and

--language 0x000b

should give the same result.

I actually do not know what a dictionary option is. Also as you have noted the UTF8 support is non-existant (it actually packs the file in the wrong way).
Calibre I think support utf8 for mobipocket generation. But this hould be irrelevant for mobi2mobi.
the problem is that many people would not know how or where to do this in the gui i assume thats hex your using you would need an option to enter one manually and a list to refer to. at the moment you can onlyselect neutral or from a limited list of languages also if you do change something it should auto tick i wasnt sure if it was applying at first it was only later that i realised it wasnt.

dictionaryin/out is what im referring to. with the touch some dictionaries are appearing in the wrong list and you can no longer select which dictionary language to use only which one under a particular language this is now auto selected and based on the dictionaryin/out metadata . you can unpack a mobi file and change it in mobi pocket creator but the last one i tried failed to publish due to utf8 validity errors even without this problem it seems much easier to directly edit and save it through this gui interface.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #440
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 1977 View Post
i am a little confused. firstly could you supply the link of the forum you are referring to ? secondly are you suggesting that the code you are building your gui on does or does not support the ability to modify the dictionaryin/out info in the metadata inside the mobi file?
Hi Peter 1977, here is the link to the Mobiperl Tools thread. Its stickied along with the GUI thread you shouldn't be able to miss it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718

The GUI is setup as per the codes configured in the underlying Mobi2Mobi tools code. Tompe the author has advised that you can directly modify the language using the appropriate HEX code. As you have noted the GUI is not configured to handle HEX code modification of the Language field. The GUI does have a save batch file option which you can use to make your other mods and output the batch file. You can then add the language flag that way. Alternatively you can grab the source code from page 1 of this thread and mod the GUI to add the option. If there is enough interest from other users I'll look at modifying the GUI.

Note: Just as a heads up the language options in the GUI is based on the Language Map specified in the MobiHeader.pm file.

Last edited by Jad; 01-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #441
Peter 1977

Dictionary Support

thanks very much for the update
Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #442
lowfive
lowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire
Can this tool be used to quickly change the PDOC tag to EBOK on mobi files? If so, is there any advantage to using mobi2mobi instead of this Java tool https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165729

I really would rather not take the time to convert my books in Calibre just to change the PDOC tags to EBOK.... seems like a waste of time and a way to potentially lose ebook data and formatting.
lowfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #443
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfive View Post
Can this tool be used to quickly change the PDOC tag to EBOK on mobi files? If so, is there any advantage to using mobi2mobi instead of this Java tool https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165729
Yes, you can set the cdetype (EXTH type 501) with mobi2mobi. How quickly it can be done is subjective, so I won't comment on that. I also don't know if this or the Java tool has any advantages over the other—as I've never used the Java metadata editor.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #444
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfive View Post
The Mobi2Mobi GUI can be used to change 501 to EBOK, but under Windows 7 it has a bug that truncates the printout from mobi2mobi - which often means that you can't see the current value of cdetype (exth 501). So the edit works, but I had to check it using the command line mobi2mobi (and the command line can also edit the exth value directly).

I just tried the Java Mobi Metadata Editor and it is very basic. The output filename is fixed, and to switch from PDOC to EBOK you have to delete the existing 501 and add a new one. It is very simple to use though, and it can also be used to check what the current value of exth 501 is.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #445
lowfive
lowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll check both out to familiarize myself.
lowfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #446
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
The Mobi2Mobi GUI can be used to change 501 to EBOK, but under Windows 7 it has a bug that truncates the printout from mobi2mobi - which often means that you can't see the current value of cdetype (exth 501). So the edit works, but I had to check it using the command line mobi2mobi (and the command line can also edit the exth value directly).
Actually, I think this bug affects most, if not all, versions of Windows.

The problem is because of null characters (chr(0), \0... etc) that are present in the data stored in the various EXTH entries. Textboxes in Visual Basic are unable to display these null characters so as soon as one is encountered... it barfs and everything that comes after gets truncated.

Easily fixable by replacing the null characters in the string that gets written to the textbox. Taking a look at the source, I was able to get it to work properly by modifying the string that gets returned by the BatchProcess function.

Instead of:
PHP Code:
Return res 
I changed it to:
PHP Code:
Return res.Replace(Chr(0), ""
The text box now displays the entire output of mobi2mobi.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #447
Jad
Groupie

Never noticed there was a problem with the output before, mind you I never actually use it myself =8)

I'll modify the code in the near future to add this fix. Cheers DiapDealer for the fix.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #448
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Never noticed there was a problem with the output before, mind you I never actually use it myself =8)

I'll modify the code in the near future to add this fix. Cheers DiapDealer for the fix.
You're welcome.
It's pretty hard to fix something when no one tells you it's broken.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #449
Jad
Groupie

Updated GUI to v0.11 to address NULL character issue

Please find attached the updated GUI with the change from DiapDealer to address potential NULL characters truncating the Mobi2Mobi output to the GUI output textbox.

Could those experiencing this problem please give this version a try and confirm it fixes the problem for you.

Excuse any typos as number 3 child is currently running sleep deprivation experiments on his Mother & I...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v11.zip (78.1 KB, 706 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #450
Gurra
Gurra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Index was outside the bounds of the array

Hi,

Just installed mobiperl 0.0.43 + Mobi2Mobi_GUI v11 (+activepython +.net v4 client) in order to change some .mobi titles.
There seem to be some strange issues.

First of all, seemingly all files containing a cover image get error messages in the info field, e.g.:
"FIRST IMG Record Id: 174
ERROR: Record 178 - Image data size definitely too large: 289188
ERROR: Record 180 - Image data size definitely too large: 267626
ERROR: Record 183 - Image data size definitely too large: 223086
..." etc.
I guess this message comes from mobi2mobi.exe. Do you know if it is normal?

Secondly and more importantly, I find that on some .mobi files, I get an unhandled exception "Index was outside the bounds of the array".
The exception text is:
"System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at WindowsApplication1.progbOpenFile.UpdateBookFields (String datapath, Boolean open) in C:\Users\Developer\Desktop\Mobi2Mobi_GUI\Mobi2Mobi _GUI_v11\Mobi2Mobi_GUI\Form1.vb:line 615
at WindowsApplication1.progbOpenFile.btnOpenFile_Clic k(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Developer\Desktop\Mobi2Mobi_GUI\Mobi2Mobi _GUI_v11\Mobi2Mobi_GUI\Form1.vb:line 439
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)"

I can send you an offending .mobi if it would be of help.
Gurra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi