Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question Consensus? Usb charging through computer and/or the wall.

I had read on another thread that using an adapter, you could charge your 600 in the wall and not be reliant on the computer or buying an A/C adapter. I read another thread recently saying that you couldn't, that the USB would only charge when it recognizes a computer connection. I get my 600 on Sunday, I would REALLY like to know if I need to invest in the A/C adapter or not or if I can use the USB adapter that I already have.
Thank you.
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You can buy an AC adapter for the 600. The one that Sony sells is $30, but you can use a PSP charger and get it much cheaper. Note that the AC adapter does not charge in the same port as the USB connector. People try using Blackberry chargers to charge their Readers and only succeeds in draining the battery.

I grabbed my charger (PSP) at Target on clearance last year for $8. You can usually get one for around $15.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I've had mine for 3 weeks now.

At first I wanted to get the wall charger but decided to wait and see how quickly it discharged.

The second night I left the reader plugged in to the computer with the monitor off.

Just checked - the reader is still fully charged after 3 weeks.

Every once in awhile I plug the reader in to load a book. My guess is that that is all it needs to keep the reader charged.

If you feel that you need a charger, do get the PSP charger. Best bet - Amazon for less than $4 ( but I like the looks of the one for $12.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...ds=psp+charger

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
CarolB
Connoisseur

nothing's ever easy. Do they sell the PSP charger at Walmart? Seems like it would come with one! How do they make it so it only will charge via USB with a computer? How does it know?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
nothing's ever easy. Do they sell the PSP charger at Walmart? Seems like it would come with one! How do they make it so it only will charge via USB with a computer? How does it know?
They should have a PSP charger at Walmart. I'm not sure I understand the rest of your post though. They don't come with one since you can charge it via your computer and they can make more money if they sell it extra. iPods are the same way. It can tell the difference because you plug it into a different spot on the Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It can tell the difference because you plug it into a different spot on the Reader.
I think what Carol is asking is "what's the difference between charging via a computer's USB connector, and a USB wall charger". It's something to do with the way it's connected up electrically - I don't understand the details, but perhaps someone else can explain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
CarolB
Connoisseur

Yes Harry, that's what I mean. My sister has a Kindle 2 and it comes with a USB cable that connects to something that charges it in the wall she says. That's why I'm confused as to why it won't work with a Sony. I have 4 children ages 9 months to 8 years and so leaving it in the open connected to the computer for long periods of time isn't ideal. I have a plug adapter for USB cords, but if I need an actual A/C adapter I just wondered why, that's all.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"That's just the way Sony make them" I'm afraid is the only answer there is. Sorry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
CarolB
Connoisseur

Thank you then. I'll look into getting a PSP charger then. You've been very helpful.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Steal your sister's USB wall wart. Then use
to charge your 600. I have that cable. Works very well. So even if you don't have a USB wall wart, you can plug it into your computer's USB to charge. Cost only $5.99 with free shipping.

http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
JSWOLF, excellent... that looks like something that I need to invest in since I have an iPhone, DS, and Sony Reader......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
CarolB
Connoisseur

what's a wall wart?