Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Laptop vs Tablet for reading PDFs: How is a tablet better?

Hi all, I just want to sit down in my garage and read .pdf files. How is a tablet superior to a laptop for this purpose?

I currently use my Sony PRS-T2 as the device that I use to read .ePub files. It works great. However, it struggles with most .pdf files: Some letters in sentences aren't readable or it'll just display the wrong letters. I need a device that can read .pdf files.

I was about to buy my first tablet device today, a 10" tablet, but I stopped myself when I recalled I had an old Dell 12" laptop at home running Windows 7. The Dell's battery died, but that's fine because I can keep it plugged into the wall.

Thanks!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Tablets are portable, but that's all I can think of, and it doesn't apply if you won't be moving around.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
You can hold a tablet easily in one hand while using a wrench in the other. That's a little awkward with a 12" laptop.

Honestly for me, PDFs are far more readable on a tablet than a laptop. The tablet is just plain easier to hold, and text appears clearer on even my non retina iPad mini than it does on any laptop screen. I can set the tablet down darn near anywhere, in spots the laptop won't necessarily fit. I can slide it into a waterproof sleeve or even a gallon size zip top bag to protect it from splashes of anything liquid (works well in the kitchen or when painting/crafting, so I'd imagine that'll do fine for the garage too). And of course, as eschwartz noted, it's more portable overall, especially since your Dell's battery is dead.

But I've been using iPads for darn near everything for a few years now; my laptop sees very little use. So perhaps I'm a wee bit biased.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
You can hold a tablet easily in one hand while using a wrench in the other. That's a little awkward with a 12" laptop.

Honestly for me, PDFs are far more readable on a tablet than a laptop. The tablet is just plain easier to hold, and text appears clearer on even my non retina iPad mini than it does on any laptop screen. I can set the tablet down darn near anywhere, in spots the laptop won't necessarily fit. I can slide it into a waterproof sleeve or even a gallon size zip top bag to protect it from splashes of anything liquid (works well in the kitchen or when painting/crafting, so I'd imagine that'll do fine for the garage too). And of course, as eschwartz noted, it's more portable overall, especially since your Dell's battery is dead.

But I've been using iPads for darn near everything for a few years now; my laptop sees very little use. So perhaps I'm a wee bit biased.
All that is what I call portable.

And the OP just wants to sit in the garage and read... I would recommend trying a couch or something but portability is not a requirement.

Tablets are cool and awesome and everything -- just not necessarily here.

Although @EbookNovice, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a tablet, we can probably come up with some good ones!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And the OP just wants to sit in the garage and read... I would recommend trying a couch or something but portability is not a requirement.

Tablets are cool and awesome and everything -- just not necessarily here.
Yah, I just want to read PDFs in the garage so portability isn't an issue for me.

Do tablet screens really have better screens for reading PDFs? I thought they used the same technology?
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post

Alright, thanks. I've never even used a tablet before... so I don't know if I'll be able to use it as often as you.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Yah, I just want to read PDFs in the garage so portability isn't an issue for me.

Do tablet screens really have better screens for reading PDFs? I thought they used the same technology?
The iPad with Retina display has one of the best displays out there, but it really depends on the PC/tablet you're talking about. Quality costs money, and a $400 PC will have a perfectly decent screen but probably not as braggable as the iPad.

A $1500 PC (yes there are such things) will proabably cost so much money in part because it has the same uber-premium display.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The iPad with Retina display has one of the best displays out there, but it really depends on the PC/tablet you're talking about. Quality costs money, and a $400 PC will have a perfectly decent screen but probably not as braggable as the iPad.

A $1500 PC (yes there are such things) will proabably cost so much money in part because it has the same uber-premium display.
Yep - and you don't need the latest greatest iPad to get that lovely display. A refurbed 3rd or 4th gen will do very finely indeed, and they start around the $400 mark (AUD) with full warranty. As well as being portable and easy to interact with (hand gestures beat cheap-laptop mousing hands down, on the whole), it also won't turn your lap into a furnace.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Oh heck yeah....my mom just bought an imac all in one with a 21" screen.....the display on that thing is absolutely killer. (Plus she got a 1TB hard drive and 16gb ram....can you say "jealous"?) That thing was at least $1500.

But anyway....my dell netbook has a hideous screen....our Dell laptop that is currently not working has a better screen....but I would not want to read on either of them, that is for darn sure. (I do, now, want a bigger, better monitor for my desk top!)

Good quality tablets are much easier to read on, but I don't read PDFs. Get a Nexus 7, or if you like Apple, the newest ipad Mini would be the best choice, IMO. The size of the screen on that is perfect.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh heck yeah....my mom just bought an imac all in one with a 21" screen.....the display on that thing is absolutely killer. (Plus she got a 1TB hard drive and 16gb ram....can you say "jealous"?) That thing was at least $1500.

But anyway....my dell netbook has a hideous screen....our Dell laptop that is currently not working has a better screen....but I would not want to read on either of them, that is for darn sure. (I do, now, want a bigger, better monitor for my desk top!)

Good quality tablets are much easier to read on, but I don't read PDFs. Get a Nexus 7, or if you like Apple, the newest ipad Mini would be the best choice, IMO. The size of the screen on that is perfect.
Actually, the full-size iPad and the Nexus 10 are better for PDFs than the smaller versions. just because of page size issues. Unless your eyes are very good, 7" is just too small for A4/Letter size pages.

As for tablet vs. computer, one reason I prefer my 10.1" tablet to my 15.6" laptop for PDFs is that not only is the image sharper, but I can also get the page bigger.

If I look at one page in portrait mode on the tablet, I have 1920 Pixels and 8.6 inches for the height of the page. My laptop's a widescreen model, so I only have 768 pixels and 7.6 inches of height to display a single page.

Bigger, sharper image in a smaller package makes the tablet a clear winner for me.

As for a 7" tablet, that only gives me about half the area to display the page. It just isn't big enough for my eyes. (And yes, I've owned 7" tablet).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Reading PDF's on a tabet and reading EPUB's on an e-reader both have the same advantages over a laptop.

If you don't like reading a book on / at your laptop, you won't like reading a PDF like that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You will notice a big difference between a 12" Dell and today's 9-10" tablets. The resolutions won't be any different, but the clarity will.

Would not recommend the 7 or 8 inch tablets. Full sized is the way to go for PDF reading.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
TABLET

Because:
Most Manuals are in PORTRAIT mode.

Standing a Laptop on edge?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
TABLET

Because:

This.
Plus weight.
At a given price point you'll get a lighter device and longer battery life with the tablet.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
TABLET

Because:

Or ignore the blank bits on the side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
This.
Plus weight.
At a given price point you'll get a lighter device and longer battery life with the tablet.
Not an issue if the laptop will be always plugged in. so this is only relevant in a situation where portability is already the deciding issue.