Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
gawl
Enthusiast
gawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic somethinggawl has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Pocketbook Touch
Support of Special Unicode Characters in EPUB?

I am wondering whether/how it is possible to have Unicode characters like ZWNJ (U+200C) correctly "displayed" by Pocketbook devices, when these appear in EPUB documents.

I am currently doing some tests on my Pocketbook Touch, and I get the impression that both AdobeViewer and FBreader simply ignore this character.

Yes I know that "Typography and EPUB" is a quite special topic that most of you might not be interested in...
But maybe there are, nevertheless, some of you who have more experience in this field and can...:
--- confirm or deny this?
--- tell me [if my impression is correct] whether this is an unchangeable fact that I simply have to accept (for the time being), or is there anything I can do?

The only trick that seems to come somewhat near to what there should be is to use U+200A (Hair Space) instead, because it prevents a ligature being built from the glyphs left and right to this character. But the downside of it is that a "Hair Space" allows a line-break, which one does not want within a word, of course. Maybe some other ideas?

Thanks for your efforts!
gawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The Sigil forum seems to be home to many epub-producers at MobileRead. I think you'll have more luck finding someone with experience in such details there. I had to look up ZWNJ myself to see what it means, and it was far beyond a simple reader's ken (unless they happen to read Arabic, Farsi, Sinhalese,...). Good luck; it will be good when such things are treated properly by the majority of software.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert