Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Cybook stuck after disconnected?

I was very happy with my Cybook until this afternoon. I wanted to add new fonts. As I had already added some the day before, I thought it would be easy...

So I booted the Cybook, connected to my Linux computer and transfered a few files - new fonts, IIRC. Then I disconnected, using the correct procedure of unmounting the volume before unplugging the USB cable.

Problem: the "Connected" screen didn't disappear, even after several minutes!

I tried pressing the "power" button several times. Nothing happened. I pressed "Reset": nothing. Then, I managed to get it to reboot after pressing first Reset, then Power.

OK, I thought, just reboot and here we are...

But no! The screen indicating booting in progress appeared and stayed there. The system was stuck again: I couldn't access to the library screen.

Once again, there was nothing I could do, short of rebooting with reset + power. And then it was the "wait while I boot" screen again...

This is the first time this has happened. I already transfered files in both the Cybook and the SD card without any problem. Now, it's stuck and I don't know what to do.

I don't know if anyone had the same trouble?

If this persist, I'll e-mail it to Cybook. If it's a bug, they need to know about it.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Maybe you can reboot with the USB cable connected and if it works remove the fonts you added. I tested to add a lot of fonts but it only took very long time after I disconnected the cable until the library appeared again. But when I tried to choose one of the new fonts the unit rebooted so the font handling code definitely seems to be buggy.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

I tried: rebooted the Cybook with the USB cable still connected and removed the fonts. Then unconnected and waited for the library screen to come back...

And it doesn't come back! So I'm stuck again.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a font cache file in the system directory mentioned in another thread that could be removed. It was called .fonts.cache-1. Maybe removing this file will help.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
IreneDelse
Groupie

No, it didn't help. I still have the same problem. If I reboot the Cybook, it gets stuck at the booting screen stage, if I plug it into the PC, I can access the files, but once I disconnect, I can get back to the library...

I've e-mailed Bookeen about the problem, and hope they have a solution.
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
No, it didn't help. I still have the same problem. If I reboot the Cybook, it gets stuck at the booting screen stage, if I plug it into the PC, I can access the files, but once I disconnect, I can get back to the library...

I've e-mailed Bookeen about the problem, and hope they have a solution.
Did you try the reset produre ?
There is a little hole at the back, press it and it will reset the Cybook !
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I remember that Delphidb96 once had a similar problem with his preview unit...he had to reflash it if I remember correctly. Reset would be the first thing to try though...

EDIT: I just reread your first post and realized that you already tried the reset...so that won't work I guess...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
IreneDelse
Groupie

No, the reset button didn't resolve the problem, but thanks for trying to help.

Now, I've just remembered that shortly before my Cybook got stuck, I didn't only add a few fonts, but also deleted some ebook files in the /eBooks folder. Maybe I did a mistake and deleted a file I shouldn't have? A file with parameters or other necessary data?

Could someone tell me what files were in the /eBooks folder when they received it, appart from the free ebooks and ebook samples?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try deleting your "Fonts" folder entirely and see if that helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
No, the reset button didn't resolve the problem, but thanks for trying to help.

Now, I've just remembered that shortly before my Cybook got stuck, I didn't only add a few fonts, but also deleted some ebook files in the /eBooks folder. Maybe I did a mistake and deleted a file I shouldn't have? A file with parameters or other necessary data?

Could someone tell me what files were in the /eBooks folder when they received it, appart from the free ebooks and ebook samples?
I was too quick earlier, sorry I was about to go to lunch when I read your cry for help and did not take the time to read your whole mail before sugesting the reset you had already tried.
As for "what's on the Cybook" : it's detailed in the manual that only one directory is absolutely required for it to work , I believe it's called /System but I do not have the Manual in front of me, all the other directories (/eBooks /Music, ... ) are therefor in the context of this problem of no importance. Hope that helps ?
If you want I'll tar/gzip the /System on my Cybook later on and send it to you , just let me know ... (Ill be home in 5 hours time though).
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
IreneDelse
Groupie

Hi all! Thanks for your help! I tried deleting completely the /Fonts folder as Harry suggested, and it worked! The library screen has come back, and I could select and open books again.

I'll email a note to Bookeen, to let them know about the bug.

Thanks again, I'm glad to be able to use this very, very cool reader again.

(But I sure hope they fix the fonts bug in the next 2.0 firmware...)
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent - delighted to hear that it worked . Yes, there do appear to be some definite bugs associated with adding fonts, but deleting what you've added always appears to solve the problem. There are certain fonts that it appears that the Gen3 just can't handle.

All the fonts supplied with Windows appear to work OK, though, so it you stick to those (Arial, Times New Roman, etc) you should be fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
sm69lover
sm69lover began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen GEn3
My gen3 also stuck after adding some fonts from windows xp. But now even I tried to remove everything except the system folder. It still cannot work. Only usb connection is viable. Any suggestion?
sm69lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

You can try to remove the font cache file in system/ mentioned above if you did not already do that.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Deleting the "Fonts" folder and deleting the ".fonts.cache-1" file from the system folder, then doing a reset, should certainly fix the problem.