Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I liked The Unsuspecting Mage, despite its many typos. I took the story for it was, a fantasy novel based on a D&D campaign. I like(d) D&D so I was able to enjoy the story.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
The Riftwar books seemed to be based on a DnD game as well but those were good (to me). I wonder if I'd like "The Unsuspecting Mage" since I like DnD too. At least I'd go into it knowing what it was.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #48
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I liked The Unsuspecting Mage, despite its many typos.
Talk about damning with faint praise.

"Three in a Barn had some tender moments amid the hen fondling and boar-specific bestiality."
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #49
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I liked The Unsuspecting Mage, despite its many typos. I took the story for it was, a fantasy novel based on a D&D campaign. I like(d) D&D so I was able to enjoy the story.
The Unsuspecting Mage made the weakest Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books I read as a kid look like fine literature.

I'm not talking Weis & Hickman or Salvatore, or the other decent authors. Whom I generally still enjoy a lot. I mean those random novels by nobody authors. Even those are way better

Look, I've got Boo the miniature giant space hamster as an avatar. I like D&D plenty. But....ugh...it was really terrible.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #50
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The Unsuspecting Mage made the weakest Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books I read as a kid look like fine literature.

I'm not talking Weis & Hickman or Salvatore, or the other decent authors. Whom I generally still enjoy a lot. I mean those random novels by nobody authors. Even those are way better

Look, I've got Boo the miniature giant space hamster as an avatar. I like D&D plenty. But....ugh...it was really terrible.
I'll have to take your word on it as I've never read any of them and therefore have no comment to make on comparisons.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #51
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I once was offered a book by a friend that assured me that was great. That book was Celetine Prophecy by James Redfeld and i am out of words to express how bad that piece of utter rubbish was... I NEVER leave a book i started reading halfway but this piece of trash was too much for me. Never had i seen so much inanity put together in printed paper sheets (i had no ereader back then).

I still think today what the heck was that friend of mine thinking....
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #52
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
[i]Look, I've got Boo the miniature giant space hamster as an avatar. I like D&D plenty. But....ugh...it was really terrible.
Boo!!!!! Man, that took me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I once was offered a book by a friend that assured me that was great. That book was Celetine Prophecy by James Redfeld and i am out of words to express how bad that piece of utter rubbish was... I NEVER leave a book i started reading halfway but this piece of trash was too much for me. Never had i seen so much inanity put together in printed paper sheets (i had no ereader back then).

Hmmm, that's an idea. Take the worst book from this thread and bring it to a friend as a GREAT book and see how far he gets into it before giving up.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #53
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Just off the top of my head:

Heart of Darkness (I teach literature, and I still can't stand it. Maybe some dialogue would have helped)
As I lay Dying (Makes me want to vomit)
The Silmarillian (Loved The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Bored to death of this one)
The DaVinci Code (Couldn't get past the second chapter. Interesting story, but the writing style just didn't appeal to me)

Last edited by Noah98; 05-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #54
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

I was also duped by a friend into reading the Celestine Prophecy. I regretfully stuck with it until the end. It really made me wonder how such a badly written book could remain on the bestsellers list for so long. Oh well, to each his/her own.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #55
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Eat, Pray, Love - I got almost halfway through the book and couldn't stomach any more of her rambling self-obsession.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #56
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
I disliked Madame Bovary enough that I stopped reading it after a couple of chapters even though I was required to read it for a discussion class. Not only was it dull, but the characters were hateful.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #57
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
I disliked Madame Bovary enough that I stopped reading it after a couple of chapters even though I was required to read it for a discussion class. Not only was it dull, but the characters were hateful.
I've not tackled Madame Bovary, but that was pretty much my experience with Henry James' The Golden Bowl.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #58
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I think the worst book ever for me was "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. I had to read this for my A Level English exam (University entrance qualifications), and I hated it so much I gave up after three tries. As a result I could only answer two of the three questions in the exam (still passed, though )
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #59
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:

Funny I had that same experience, only the book was _The Notebook_.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #60
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
I read it during my year in Seattle (husbeast was in graduate school and I'm agoraphobic) when I undertook to read some "classics". I thought it was very misogynistic, but maybe the author was trying to say something about cultural expectations in general and not unrealistic feminine expectations in particular.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote