Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
bbrotherton
bbrotherton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Using BD to convert prc file to Sony Reader

Hi,

When I try to open a prc file in Book Designer I get the error message "Cannot unpack Palm-file". I can open the prc file (and convert to lrf) using Calibre.

I think I have the latest updated version of BD. Has anyone any idea why I get this error?
bbrotherton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You will get this error if the PRC file is not in Mobipocket format, has DRM, or is in high compress mode.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
bbrotherton

PRC file and Book Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You will get this error if the PRC file is not in Mobipocket format, has DRM, or is in high compress mode.

Dale
Thanks Dale,

Both prc files I tried were downloaded from Mobipocket website. One was a sample of a book and the other was a free book which had a mobi file extension (I changed this to prc).

When I used BD to convert a text file to prc format and then opened this prc file. everything worked OK. It looks as though the Mobipocket file had DRM or something, although Calibre had no problem with them.

Barry Brotherton
Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrotherton View Post
Thanks Dale,

Both prc files I tried were downloaded from Mobipocket website. One was a sample of a book and the other was a free book which had a mobi file extension (I changed this to prc).

When I used BD to convert a text file to prc format and then opened this prc file. everything worked OK. It looks as though the Mobipocket file had DRM or something, although Calibre had no problem with them.

Barry Brotherton
Calibre does not deal with DRM but will handle high compression mode. The BD import of mobipocket files is not very good.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a DRM Free Mobipocket file, the easiest way to convert it to LRF is to use Calibre's mobi2lrf to convert to LRF.

But if you want to use BD, use Calibre's Mobi2oeb and then load in the HTML file.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
bbrotherton

Thanks!

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. I will just use Calibre for this conversion. At least I know that I hadn't done anyhting stupid when installing BD.

Barry Brotherton
Old 11-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrotherton View Post
Many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. I will just use Calibre for this conversion. At least I know that I hadn't done anyhting stupid when installing BD.

Barry Brotherton
If you want to use BD, first use mobi2oeb and then load the HTML file.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote