Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre PDF to LRF losing line breaks

I'm having trouble explaining this so here's an example:

Quote:
Let's say this is an example pdf file. This is the first paragraph.

This is the second paragraph.

And here's a third!
Sometimes the resulting lrf will look like

Quote:
Let's say this is an example pdf file. This is the first paragraph.
This is the second paragraph.
And here's a third!
(Which is what I want.) But other times it will look like

Quote:
Let's say this is an example pdf file. This is the first paragraph. This is the second paragraph. And here's a third!
Any ideas?
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
kad032000
Connoisseur

FYI, by sometimes, I mean that there are some sections of a PDF where the first example will occur, and some where the second will occur, not that it will happen differently if I try it multiple times.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that's because the PDF reflow engine tries to guess which line endings are "hard" and which are not. It doesn't always succeed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Kovid,

I've also noted that when Calibre adds a book to the library, it chops off the first letter in the filename. For example, if the book filename is

The Three Musketeers.lrf

and I ask Calibre to add it to the library, it adds

he Three Musketeers.lrf

I have found the easiest way to reslove the problem is to rename the file by adding a leading x (e.g., xThe Three Musketeers.lrf) before adding it to the Calibre library.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

this is when adding LRF files or any kind of file?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've noticed this too. Has happened with the last few TOR .prc books that I have added to the db. Or maybe it has happened with all of them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

there was a bug in the PRC metadata reading code which should now be fixed in 0.4.73
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Like Bob, I noticed it with the Tor .prc files. But I also noticed it with Baen .lrf files and with .lrf files I have downloaded from MobileRead.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you post a link to a mobileread lrf that causes this to happen, I just tested with some random LRFs and it works for me.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
kad032000
Connoisseur

FYI,

For the books I'm currently using, I've found that if I convert to html, the line breaks for new paragraphs occur immediately after the last character of the paragraph whereas the line breaks between two lines of text in the same paragraph have a space before the break. Thus you can do a simple replace all in a text editor of " <br>" to "".

Which makes sense from a typing perspective. When typing, you don't press enter at the end of a normal line (the editor automatically moves you there), so there's always a space before the next word. And when you want to create a new line, you don't insert a space then press enter, you just press enter. At least, that's what I do...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

An interesting observation. But I doubt it would be much more reliable than the current heuristics over the set of all PDF files. I do have a complete rewrite of the PDF reflow engine in my queue, so I'll keep this in mind when I get to it.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Can you post a link to a mobileread lrf that causes this to happen, I just tested with some random LRFs and it works for me.
Kovid, the next time it occurs I will send you a link. It occurred with version .72 but since I upgraded to version .73, it hasn't occurred on the one file I downloaded from MobileRead.