Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
K3 up-to-date pros and cons you share

Hi,
I have lost my kindle, ordered a new one, hovever it will be delevered no sooner then february. I just think, whether is it really worth waiting for the international shipment (us probably would be shipped immediately) or just buy iPad... There was lots of problems with K2 in my perspective, the browser, the content organizing and searching, PDF's very limited support...

yea, but the eInk was quite new experience. Incredible in sunny days, rather awful in the evening.

What do you think? Thinking out of the box what would you go for if you have lost your kindle today? What are the disapointments about K3 which still exists out there?
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
wdreamsmaycome
wdreamsmaycome is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3, ipod touch 1st gen
I am surprised for you the kindle is an either/or with the ipad, the two are very different devices: if you want something to read books on, the kindle is definitely superior, if you want a tablet computer, then the ipad is a slam-dunk (although you definitely are paying the early adopter 'tax' on it, not to mention that it's a 1.0 product at the moment), yes, you can browse on the kindle and you can read books on the ipad, but IMHO they are not the 'primary' uses for either device.

It's like somebody asking "the pickup truck I ordered is taking too long to come in, I will buy a minivan instead", yes, you can drive places with both vehicles, but they aren't exactly interchangeable for their primary uses...
wdreamsmaycome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Why not a Nook Color? It has some of the bells & whistles of the iPad, like color, internet access, and being able to read magazines, but is much cheaper and lighter.

Personally, I'd wait for the k3, but that's because I'm too spoiled by the lightness of the device to be tempted by anything else out there right now.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
If you are reading pdfs, then no, I wouldn't get another Kindle.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Second on the PDF reading, as most pdf are formatted for A4 pages and not A6 or B7, and the panning and zoom is a little annoying
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
There was lots of problems with K2 in my perspective, the browser, the content organizing and searching, PDF's very limited support...

yea, but the eInk was quite new experience. Incredible in sunny days, rather awful in the evening.
Sounds like you should definitely get an iPad, or some other device designed to do the things you tried to do with your Kindle. Considering your needs I would also recommend steering clear of things like graphing calculators, fish radar, and George Foreman grills.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Thanks all for your replies I thought for a while about it and came to coclusion that indeed kindle is superior ereader for books - mobi and azw. PDF and browser is just a bait if you are undecided, free 3G as well However these addons could be usefull from time to time. I decided to wait for my new kindle whilst doing myself a christmas gift - a new shiny toy named iPad

I am using my iPad for a little time now for reading PDFs and it is a way better than Kindle for this task. The big difference is bookmarks and notes navigation. Well I do not read from top to end most of my PDFs, these are reference guides which needs to be easily opened in several locations at once.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
One of the coolest things about the kindle besides it being an e-reader is the fact that you get free 3g internet. try getting that with anything else these days...
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
There is no Swiss Army knife for readers. The Kindle is, first and foremost, a text reader. The iPad is a color device for web access and, if you don't mind the small screen, a decent PDF reader. It is, for me, simply too heavy and uncomfortable to use for reading over any period of time. I am spoiled for internet access because I hate tiny, inadequate screens for PDF and web page displays and I simply cannot use the little toy keyboards on such devices. I know the current rage for iPads and such, but for me, there is no gap between my laptop and my Kindle to be filled with one.

I never use the browser in my K3 (I don't even know if it works or not) and I never use 3G because I have better tools for doing so. The K3 is near-perfect because of it's superior screen in normal reading light, its light weight (7.9 oz.), comfortable size, reasonable price, and its multiple-week recharge cycle.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IMO, one of the best features of the Kindle is Whispernet. With that and Calibre I always have access to library no matter where I am (as long as I leave my PC on).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whispernet is handy, but I seldom if ever use it directly from the Kindle. I always download books to my Kindle4PC on the big computer, save the download on a backup drive, and then sideload the books into the K3. With the large RAM in the K3, and a 3,000 book capacity, there is no reason anyone should run out of reading material while on vacation or away from the computer. I view 3G the same way -- I just don't need it. But it could be very handy for anyone who, in this day and age, does not have a computer!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
... I always download books to my Kindle4PC on the big computer, save the download on a backup drive, and then sideload the books into the K3.
Can you really do that? I thought the Amazon DRM tied them directly to a device, even if that "device" is the Kindle4PC. I don't think I can copy a book from my K3 to my computer and read it with my Kindle4PC.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Wispernet is actually really nice because you can get samples of books before you buy them. I love it.
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75070 View Post
Can you really do that? I thought the Amazon DRM tied them directly to a device, even if that "device" is the Kindle4PC. I don't think I can copy a book from my K3 to my computer and read it with my Kindle4PC.
You are absolutely right - Amazon's DRM mechanism is tied to a device, not to an account. You can't do what the previous poster states unless you remove the DRM from the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75070 View Post
Any book that you download in "Kindle" or MOBI format will go into K4PC if you so direct it. If you obtain your books from sources other than Amazon which do not have DRM-protection, or if you download those few non-DRM books from Amazon, they may be dragged into the Kindle \document folder and read on the Kindle. If you move a bit to the 'dark side' you can remove the DRM from the Amazon DRM'd books and then move them. But you don't really need to do that since any book in your K4PC application will appear as an "Archive" book on the Kindle -- assuming you have both registered with Amazon on the same account. As with so many others here, I usually remove the DRM for the sole purpose of storing them in a more 'universal' format for the future. Who knows how long DRM will be readable?