Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
"drop-in" or occasional books?

Before I got my iphone, I read "$hit my Dad Says" in its entirety on my ipod touch, which I had with me about once or twice a week. It was the perfect book for this kind of reading: I could read in short spurts, laugh, and then pick it up a week later without taxing myself over complicated storylines or characters. Now I am looking for more books of this type to load onto my iphone. I'm thinking David Sedaris would also be perfect, but I think I've read all of his (except for the odd new squirrel one--is that worth reading?).

So what books do you like for this "type" of reading? Bonus points if you can think of books you got at your Overdrive library, since the selections seem to be similar across libraries and I might be able to get it too.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If you liked David Sedaris, try David Rakoff -- he does individual pieces (essays), and my library has him via Overdrive.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Nietzsche's "The Gay Science" is excellent for short spurts. Largely aphorisms and other short passages that can be independently chewed on.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Score! My library did indeed have a David Rakoff book and I put a hold on it.

Hmmm... I would never have thought about reading Nietzsche for fun. I will have to think about that one!

Thanks!
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A couple of other Overdrive ebooks (essay format) that might fit your request:

The Art of Eating In

Give It Up!
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Nietzsche's "The Gay Science"
is this the same dude behind the Superman concept and Beyond Good and Evil?

regarding the topic, perhaps poetry in short bursts would interest you? what about some haiku?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Ditto David Rakoff. I just stumbled upon Half Empty and really enjoyed it.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
"The Art of War" or maybe modern knockoffs of it.

I've read only this Rakoff:

http://www.amazon.com/Fraud-Essays-D.../dp/0767906314

Entertaining, easy read.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

You might also wanna check out Pico Iyer, a travel essay writer with a number of strong books.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I'm thinking David Sedaris would also be perfect, but I think I've read all of his (except for the odd new squirrel one--is that worth reading?).
I enjoyed Squirrel seeks Chipmunk.

Another author I was thinking of is Haruki Murakami. He has a few book of short stories such as The Elephant Vanishes and Blind Willow, sleeping woman. I think they are quite dreamlike. We can't get them in ebook here though, don't know if they are available elsewhere. Anyone seen them?

I am going to look up David Rakoff... might be interesting.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I've listened to some Murakami on audio -- incredibly surreal!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've listened to some Murakami on audio -- incredibly surreal!
Hmm. Might be interesting to listen to Murakami right before dozing off. See what kinda dreams emerge.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I confess I couldn't get into "Kafka on the Shore"
Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I confess I couldn't get into "Kafka on the Shore"
What didn't you like about it, SeaBook? I haven't read it yet?
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I found it kind of crude, although it could've been the audio narration as well.