Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi - new to eBooks, got a PRS-505

Hi,

I'm Terry and I'm from North West England. I read a huge amount of traditional books and last week I bought a Sony PRS-505 from the UK Waterstones.com site.

The reader is fantastic and I can see why so many people 'over the pond' in the US have been raving about eBook readers - I'm just glad they're finally starting to make it into the mainstream in the UK.

I was very disappointed with Watersones selection of eBooks and started to shop around to see what other sites produced content that my PRS-505 could use and was a bit worried until I realised that the Secure Adobe Reader 7 files could be read on my PRS-505 (older PRS-505 units seem to need a firmware update for this but the one I got could already do it). Seeing as that format seems to be supported by a few US eBook sites I'm going to have to budget myself now. Too many books... not enough time!

This site looks really good and I look forward to getting to know you and sharing with you all.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I've been told by staff in Waterstones that they're pretty much sold out, which is impressive, I just hope mine arrives soon
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Terry and welcome to the Forum. I got a 505 back in January and like it a lot. Hope you continue to enjoy yours.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hi Terry! welcome to the lovely world of e-ink!

You'll find that once you get used to it, its hard to go back.

As for books, if you are comfortable with a little bit of format shifting, would suggest you considering buying books from online stores such as Fictionwise & Booksonboard in Microsoft Reader (.lit) and converting them for the sony.

you'll find that the prices are a ton better that way, as you pay in US$.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi,

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
would suggest you considering buying books from online stores such as Fictionwise & Booksonboard in Microsoft Reader (.lit) and converting them for the sony.

you'll find that the prices are a ton better that way, as you pay in US$.
I've already downloaded a couple of books in Secure Adobe Reader 7 format from Fictionwise which work with no conversion on my PRS-505, I'll check out Booksonboard later on - thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Terry.
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Hi Terry!

I too was disappointed by Waterstone's range; especially since the biggest reason I didn't get a reader until now was that I was waiting for a big UK store to start selling ebooks.

Like you, I read *a lot*, and it's important to me to have the latest titles available, but I do also read older books, so I wonder if you realised that all the old classic books are available for free on this site, and on Project Gutenberg; they've certainly helped fill in gaps in my library, I can tell you!
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
I wonder if you realised that all the old classic books are available for free on this site, and on Project Gutenberg; they've certainly helped fill in gaps in my library, I can tell you!
Thanks for the tips.