Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
blizeH
blizeH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch & iPad 2
Incorrect series order (Discworld)

Hi,

I've just installed Calibre for preparation of getting my girlfriend a Kobo Touch, and so far am blown away by this software, has an almost similar feel to iTunes and overall I'm very impressed.

I've managed to correctly organise a few series, but the Discworld one is causing me issues, you can see the order here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Bibliography

But with all of the books correctly identified in terms of titles, covers etc, it is putting them in the following order:

1) Unseen Academicals
2) Going Postal
3) Thud!
etc...

I know I'm doing something wrong, and would be very grateful for any tips on how to get everything ordered correctly

Thank you!

Last edited by blizeH; 06-29-2012 at 07:12 PM.
blizeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you using a plugboard to automate the renaming of the eBooks?

Take a look at Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates

Or for an example see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ex#post1969323

These rely on the Series info being entered in the calibre Metadata; both the Series and Number fields.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
blizeH

Many thanks Peter, does that just rename the title so it fits nicely on the Kobo though? (in which case that is awesome by the way, thank you, and I will need it once my girlfriends Kobo Touch arrives!) but this is with he series in general, for example when you click on a book and it says "Book I of Discworld"
Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizeH View Post
Hi,

I've just installed Calibre for preparation of getting my girlfriend a Kobo Touch, and so far am blown away by this software, has an almost similar feel to iTunes and overall I'm very impressed.

I've managed to correctly organise a few series, but the Discworld one is causing me issues, you can see the order here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Bibliography

But with all of the books correctly identified in terms of titles, covers etc, it is putting them in the following order:

1) Unseen Academicals
2) Going Postal
3) Thud!
etc...

I know I'm doing something wrong, and would be very grateful for any tips on how to get everything ordered correctly

Thank you!
They will auto number in the order added to the series (name) unless you get the number as part of the 'Get Metadata'. Note: that is not the most reliable/consistent (name and/or number)

If you know the numbers, use the Outstanding 'Manage Series' plugin to make things orderly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are you manually editing the metadata? I only have a few of the Discworld series as ebooks, but they all have the right series numbers after I Edit Metadata -> Edit Metadata Individually -> Download metadata. The first entry in the results typically includes the series number (if not, see if any of the other hits do so). As a last resort, enter the series number manually.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
blizeH

I went select -> Edit Metadata -> Edit Metadata in bulk

Then I renamed the series to 'Discworld' and checked the 'Automatically number books in this series' option

It worked for the other 5 series I've done, but not Discworld, not sure what I'm doing wrong
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I went select -> Edit Metadata -> Edit Metadata in bulk

Then I renamed the series to 'Discworld' and checked the 'Automatically number books in this series' option

It worked for the other 5 series I've done, but not Discworld, not sure what I'm doing wrong
It worked as designed.
You do not have any duplicate series numbers Now

Follow the suggestions WE gave. We have been using Calibre for YEARS and know a thing or two
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
blizeH

Exactly the same order using the 'Manage Series' plugin:

I've definitely done something wrong, just can't figure out what...!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
blizeH

Oh, so the order isn't stored in the metadata from the sites I'm using, so I'll need to do it manually? The Manage Series plugin will make it a lot easier! Thank you
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Many thanks Peter, does that just rename the title so it fits nicely on the Kobo though? (in which case that is awesome by the way, thank you, and I will need it once my girlfriends Kobo Touch arrives!) but this is with he series in general, for example when you click on a book and it says "Book I of Discworld"
The example I gave takes the 1st letter of each word in the series name, so when the book gets sent to the Kobo (and ONLY then) it will be renamed to something like "HP - 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

Calibre will still show the book as "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", book 1 in the series "Harry Potter".

So when then Touch does a sort by Title, all books in the series will be displayed in sequence.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
When you've opened up the manage series window as above, then drag'n'drop the entries or use the green arrows at side (with an entry selected), then when you have them in order you want, click OK
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
blizeH

Brilliant thank you guys, the manage series plugin looks like it'd be invaluable in this scenario, and when the Kobo actually arrives and I transfer everything across, Peter you've just saved me tearing my hair out when I'm wondering why the order isn't working correctly!

Thanks again