Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #106
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I do envy you that you have enough choices to make the Kobo pale in comparison. However, many people overseas don't have such choices, and for some, buying a competitively priced ereader with a bricks and mortar presence and local support is even better than ordering a Kindle from the USA.
oh yes .. I so agree with you

every time I go to the US I come home that we pay so much more for just about everything!

same brands, mostly same places of origin ...

at the time I bought my Kobo, it was many many $$ less than the Kindle.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #107
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan View Post
As for kobo vs kindle. I had a problem with my kobo. I took it to chapters and was provided a new one on the spot. Try that with your kindle. That alone has won my respect for kobo.
I had a problem with my K3, and Amazon delivered a brand-new replacement by UPS 48 hours later, right to my doorstep. I didn't even have to ship back the problematic unit, first.

I work 10 hour shifts (4 nights a week), with commute "plus", my work day is basically 12 1/2 hours. The last thing I want to do is drive out to a store.

I do have to go down to the UPS store to return the defective unit (postage paid), but I have a month to do that.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #108
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
I had a problem with my K3, and Amazon delivered a brand-new replacement by UPS 48 hours later, right to my doorstep. I didn't even have to ship back the problematic unit, first.
Different story in Australia.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #109
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
In Canada, the Kobo Wifi at $149 + free shipping or in store purchase is cheaper than the Kindle 3 at $139 + shipping. There is also the intangible ... having a local bricks and mortar presence.

Finding an e-reader other than the Kobo or Sony in Canada at retail is rare. One or two Astak models showed up at the big box electronic chain for almost $300; the Aluratek (could that thing be any uglier?!?) is typically available at the $150ish mark. Sony, in it's wisdom, has only carried the 300 and 600 series; the Daily Edition 900 has not been sold here. The PRS 350 is $199 and the 650 is $249 -- neither offer wifi; both are touch screen; only the $249 model is 6".

The Kobo WiFi at $149 is competitive in this market and does not need to be sold at a lower price. Nor is Amazon likely to lower the Kindle 3 in the near future -- it's already a great unit and attached to an excellent customer experience.

Kobo WiFi is not intended to take notes -- that keyboard is essentially for adding a WiFi password. Maybe it is needed for search or dictionary -- I don't know; I don't have one (yet). There is no web browser so I don't think you can twitter with it ... but there is store access and access to your purchased library so I suppose the keyboard is used there, too. I have not actually browsed the Amazon store on my Kindle because the web experience is so rich; but I have used the "archived" feature to transfer purchased books onto my device. I am delighted that's been added to Kobo.

Kobo WiFi differentiates from Kindle 3: local sales/support, localised bookstore content, DRM ePubs from multiple vendors, public library borrowing. And now with WiFi it can also: sync across multiple platforms; plus it has an improved screen, faster processor and more internal memory.

Not to mention, Kobo support is generally pretty solid -- there when you need it. No customer support operation is perfect, but Kobo is certainly in the upper tiers of overall "goodness".

So, in Canada -- $149 Kobo WiFi vs $249 Sony PRS-650 touch screen? $100 is a lot extra to pay just to swipe the screen for page turns and trade off the benefits of connectedness. Kobo WiFi isn't a Kindle 3 -- its a portal to ePub that Kindle 3 lacks. If ePub doesn't matter to you, Kobo loses a good deal of its edge.

I strongly commend Kobo, and the business and product development teams for their innovative entry into the e-reader / e-book marketplace. Amazon has been in the e-reader market 3 years and Sony 4 years ... Kobo has made some very smart, savvy moves and executed pretty well (notwithstanding the original font glitchy software shipped in Canada) -- and it has only been in market four months in the US and less than six in Canada. Kobo's collaborative approach, and strong multi-platform vision, I believe provides it a decent chance to become the leading device of choice after the Kindle and it may eventually lead in some markets (thanks to ePub), especially outside of the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #110
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
So, in Canada -- $149 Kobo WiFi vs $249 Sony PRS-650 touch screen? $100 is a lot extra to pay just to swipe the screen for page turns and trade off the benefits of connectedness.
Although the price differences can be boggling, to be fair, there's more than just touchscreens to set the new Sony models apart from the Kobo, and which are some of the reasons I decided to buy the new 350. That said, if the reviews are favourable, I won't hesitate to recommend the Kobo WiFi to my less techy family and friends who won't care for fancier features.

I like Kobo's vision and would like to see them succeed. I do believe the lowered prices of the K3 and the Nook were in response to the original Kobo's launch, and if quite frankly, if Kobo becomes a viable competitor in lessening Amazon's current monopoly on the market, especially in non-US countries, I'd be very glad indeed.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert