Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Fia
Fia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
I think I have access to about 2500 books through my library here in Stockholm, Sweden. ePub, pdf and mobi is the file formats that are supported, some books are available in all formats and som books only in one or two of them.
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Whoa, I just took for granted that my local library has ebooks (a lot of 'em). I live in the Sacramento Public Library system and they are pretty forward thinking, I guess. We get access to Many digital formats: WMA, Mp3, EPUB, PDF, and Mobi too. What a lucky break.

Of course, you'll have to read them on the PC with ADE or the free Kindle for PC app. Unless, you go to the time-comsuming and troublesome process of removing the DRM first. Then you can download to the Kindle and delete when you're done reading.

In order to get other titles--I also use my old address (at my folk's home in a different county in CA) to access their library and check out ebooks in all of the formats they have. If you know someone (really well and they trust you) in a town with a good digital collection in their public library then you can ask to use their address to obtain an elibrary cared and check out ebooks that way too.
The nice thing about Sacramento is that they accept people from all over the state (since it is the state capitol). You do not have to read them on a PC. They work fine with ADE or actual mobi support with DRM on an eBook reader without modification. You just own the wrong eBook Reader

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Whoot! I just checked, my library now has 3555 fiction and 1596 nonfiction ebook titles. The budget for ebooks was approved late last year, and I've been waiting for them to arrive, and now they're here.

Gotta go see if they have anything I want.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
I was JUST looking into my options for library eBook lending, and found that Denver Public Library has a fairly robust system. I don't know where to find the totals of everything they have, but seems to be a decent collection. Just put in my application for a card, and looking forward to trying it out...
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
I was JUST looking into my options for library eBook lending, and found that Denver Public Library has a fairly robust system. I don't know where to find the totals of everything they have, but seems to be a decent collection. Just put in my application for a card, and looking forward to trying it out...
I just looked at the available library for Denver and noticed they are one of the few libraries that offer 'eFlicks'. Looks like they are movies, shorts and/or documentaries available for download.

ePub - 416
PDF - 3,405
Mobi - 1,136
eFlicks - 482
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Of course, you'll have to read them on the PC with ADE or the free Kindle for PC app. Unless, you go to the time-comsuming and troublesome process of removing the DRM first. Then you can download to the Kindle and delete when you're done reading.
I have to respond to this. If 5 seconds is time-consuming, then you are correct. As for troublesome - my daughter told me she suspected I liked removing DRM more than I liked reading. Not really, but I do get a charge out of finding and figuring out how to use scripts.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
our library - actually a consortium of numerous area libraries

ePub: 520
PDF: 1849
MOBI: 487

I check it frequently because wait lists have really started to grow over the past 5 to 6 months as more people discover this. I even have a calendar in Outlook to track when they are adding new books to see if I can spot the trend.

Yes, I'm that geeky.

My Mom's library just started offering eBooks in the past month. I'm trying to get her using it but she is so tech unsavy it is very difficult .... more than 2 steps and she's toast.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
mgm1979
Zealot

wow, good lookin' out grooks - how/where did you find that info?

I'd seen the bit about eFlicks, but haven't gotten as far as figuring out how it all works...It would be SUPER cool if I could DL videos to my eDGe though!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
wow, good lookin' out grooks - how/where did you find that info?

I'd seen the bit about eFlicks, but haven't gotten as far as figuring out how it all works...It would be SUPER cool if I could DL videos to my eDGe though!
I went to the 'download digital media' section of the Denver Public Library and near the top you will see a search bar. The search bar includes an Advanced Search where you can specify Author, Title or Format amongst other options. Choose just the format and it will give you a complete list for that format.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #25
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
DaleDe:
Yes, Sacramento "has been verry verry, good to me." (remember the SNL skit of way back when?!)
The Kindle was a gift for Xmas from Hubby. I have enjoyed reverse engineering it to read my library books on it, though it has been no small effort. I'm not one to quibble over the Kindle gift when I can graciously accept it; then quietly hassle with getting it to do what I need).
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
mgm1979
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I went to the 'download digital media' section of the Denver Public Library and near the top you will see a search bar. The search bar includes an Advanced Search where you can specify Author, Title or Format amongst other options. Choose just the format and it will give you a complete list for that format.
ahhh...I feel dumb now...

For whatever reason, my temporary card is still "restricted" so I haven't been able to try and "borrow" anything yet. Their confirmation page said I should be good in 20 minutes, but its been 24 hours now - sent them an email to see what's up...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
I have access to multiple libraries that have ebooks for download. The State of Ohio funded their e-libraries project a couple of years ago. Based on where I live, I have access to the Dayton Metro Library which has its own collection (audio and ebooks) and the Greene County Public Library which is part of a consortium that has its own unique collection.

I looked for a thread to discuss library ebooks because I am frustrated by the DRM on them. As a previous poster said, I can only read my ebooks on my PCs due to the DRM. Stanza chokes when I try to move them to my iPod touch.

Based on what I've read, though, there appears to be hope. Has someone been able to get rid of the DRM on library ebooks so they can be read on mobile platforms, most especially the iPod touch/iPhone?
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #28
grooks
Wizard

There are methods to remove DRM from Mobipocket, ePUb and PDF. If you ever remove the DRM from a library book it is correct to delete the book from your computer and any devices after reading. That being said, if you want information about removing DRM for for mobidedrm and ineptpdf and ineptepub. The forum cannot provide instructions on how to remove DRM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #29
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I borrow both ebooks and downloadable audiobooks from the Boston Public Library and the suburban Minuteman Library network. The audiobooks work better for me, because I can load them onto my Zune, and they don't go poof! after two or three weeks. I can finish the books and then delete them. Ebooks, on the other hand, always seem to time-out before I get them read. (I know I could remove the DRM, but I'd feel funny doing that on a library book.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
After spending several hours reading various threads on this form, I'll retract my statement about trying to read library books on my iPod touch.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote