Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
French Language Books

I have been trying to convert html and pdf books in French into prc or ePub.

The conversions for html are better but there is still a problem with the "oe" and "à" and "è".
The conversion from pdf is quite terrible - there seem to be line breaks after each accent and the accents are not on the letters but beside the letters.

I have tried using the alias for CH in the look and feel to no avail.

Could somebody please tell me what I need to put in the look and feel and how?

Thanks for the help.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For HTML conversions you may need to specify the correct input encoding, probably one of the following

cp1252
cp1251
latin1
utf-8
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your help - how do I specify this - just putting it into the "Look and feel " ? What about the pdfs - is there anything I can do about these?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. As for PDF, not really.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
mysweety
Connoisseur

I have tried all these options with no success - worse than when leaving it blank. I put them in the "Input character encoding" field in the "Look and Feel". Is this OK? Has anyone tried converting French language docs? Thanks for the help.
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

zip up the HTML before adding it to calibre (i.e. put it ina ZIP file and add the ZIP file to calibre). Then try those options.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
mysweety
Connoisseur

Thanks - this is exactly what I have done. Put the index file into calibre and it zipped up everything.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I mean zip up all the files yourself first and then add the ersulting ZIP file to calibre
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
mysweety
Connoisseur

Great - this worked for latin-1 except for "oe" but the "è and à" are OK.

Now just need a work-round for pdfs
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Kisxela
Kisxela began at the beginning.

Device: Asus-A696, Cool-er, Hanlin V5
I have been trying to convert rtf and html texts in Hungarian to epub. "ű" and "ő" are ok in the calibre ebook viewer but not in ADE and Cool-er.
Kisxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
Great - this worked for latin-1 except for "oe" but the "è and à" are OK.
I think "œ" is not in latin-1, but it is in latin-9 (aka ISO-8859-15).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
The conversion from pdf is quite terrible - there seem to be line breaks after each accent and the accents are not on the letters but beside the letters.
I can fix this. There was a similar problem with German characters that have umlauts (e.g. ü). Can you attach or send me a PDF with the French accented characters so I can test my changes?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
mysweety
Connoisseur

Hi user_none

Glad to enclose the document.

But perhaps it is better to send you the link:

http://alysse.org/~thomas/autonomy_project/

The link to the pdf is at the bottom of the page.

Bye
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
mysweety
Connoisseur

The html converted well with latin-9 but calibre only recognised the full ISO in the look and feel.

The "oe" is still missing but perhaps this is due to a problem in the viewer or in the hanlin device.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've made a commit that cleans up French characters (e.g. à,û,é...) for PDF input. It should be in the next release. Let me know if I missed anything. Also, at least with conversion from PDF the oe character is displaying correctly in calibre's ebook-viewer.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote