Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On Linux, festival includes text2wave, which will convert a text file to a wav file, which can then be converted to MP3 or whatever.

I don't know if it's available for Windows or Mac.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bleach View Post
Do any members know of read-back software with the function to save it as an MP3 or equivalent, so I can play it back on an iPod. Thanks.
I use Windows. I ended up purchasing a license for TextAloud, from NextUp. This software can save to MP3 and other formats. The software itself is not expensive (US$29.95), but extra voices cost money. I went with this over other free options because it had a wide range of voices to choose from, including some that I thought were much better than I'd found elsewhere.

I haven't used it all that much yet, but what I have done confirms it as much more agreeable than listening to Microsoft Anna. Less mistakes, and smoother. The interface to the main part of the software is not very pretty, but functional and has many options and controls. It does have mouse and clipboard monitoring features for integration with other software, but so far these haven't impressed me, maybe I just need to spend more time with it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I've never thought of TTS as being something to use for editing your work. To be sure, if you're listening hard, and don't get distracted by the tv or something, you might pick up on that 'Paris in the the spring' mistake, but in the film world many scriptwriters use it more for checking on their dialogue - does it sound right or does it sound forced? I can see a use for TTS in this respect in novel writing, too.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I used it yesterday for the first time using the "high quality" voices that you can download from Apple for the Mac OS X Lion and newer. Used it on a non-fiction article I was writing. It helped me quite a bit. "quite" vs "quiet" and "singing" vs "signing" are two examples of things I missed in my editing that it helped me find. It is also good for exposing repetitive word / phrase use, at least in short works.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't generally try to edit while the TV's going, James.

I'm trialling it as a supplement to my existing editing more than anything else. I find that if I slow the voice down a little it forces me to concentrate on the words as they're being read, rather than skipping ahead; it forces a consistency in the review that I find difficult to maintain on my own. And yes, I'm also hoping it will highlight awkward sentences. Having a selection of voices I think might also be a help, something to stop you getting too mesmerized by a constant drone. It will be a while before I work out how effective it's been.

I am concerned that this process might slow down my normal reading speed, I guess I'll find out.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert