Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Adobe Reader (Read-Aloud) on PE

I do not understand the PE. Since I've bought two (returned one) after Entourage went out of business, the closest thing to a manual I have is the PDF and this forum.

Basically, I do not understand how the PE works. I have downloaded Adobe Reader for its read-aloud capabilities. The program shows up in the downloads and appears on the App screen. When I launch the App, all that happens is that I'm returned to the main App screen.

I have also downloaded Coolreader. I see, by researching other posts on Coolreader, that others besides me have trouble with this App. It downloaded to my SD card; I unzipped it; and there it sits.

1) Do PEs have a hard drive, as a hard drive is commonly understood? If they do, why do some downloads end up on the PE...whatever, and some downloads go straight to the SD card?

2) With browsers like Firefox or I.E., you can choose the destination folder for a download, and then proceed to open an .exe file, which then installs the program? But how do you do the same thing on a PE?

I have to admit that the PE has sat for the past week basically untouched and just admired. I don't want it to be a brick, so if anyone can just give links to advanced tutorials, or even make an advanced tutorial, man, would I appreciate it.

Thank you, all.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
I think, the best way for you is the android market.

When you open the market and choose a program you will be asked: 1. Install 2. Open the program. Thats it.

By the way, not all programs run on your PE.
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Yivi, Do you mean the Google Market? I'm sorry for asking such idiotic questions; I didn't realize using an android device would require learning an OS entirely foreign to Windows. Could you perhaps give a URL where I could do what you say? Thank you again. (BTW, I'm still interested in knowing if anyone runs Adobe Reader on their PE.)

Oops! I can't use the Google market, because my PE isn't rooted. Thanks anyway. I'll just use the PE to listen to Youtube or something. Sorry for filling up the forum this past week.

Last edited by hilaryfrompa; 01-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
I do not understand the PE. Since I've bought two (returned one) after Entourage went out of business, the closest thing to a manual I have is the PDF and this forum.

Basically, I do not understand how the PE works. I have downloaded Adobe Reader for its read-aloud capabilities. The program shows up in the downloads and appears on the App screen. When I launch the App, all that happens is that I'm returned to the main App screen.
I can't help with that as I don't use it - sorry.

Quote:
I have also downloaded Coolreader. I see, by researching other posts on Coolreader, that others besides me have trouble with this App. It downloaded to my SD card; I unzipped it; and there it sits.
For a start what are you doing with a zip file? You only need to get the apk file for android use.
Use es file explorer to find and install it. I've never had any trouble with it on my EE - in fact it is the only reader app that I use on the tablet side.

Quote:
1) Do PEs have a hard drive, as a hard drive is commonly understood? If they do, why do some downloads end up on the PE...whatever, and some downloads go straight to the SD card?

2) With browsers like Firefox or I.E., you can choose the destination folder for a download, and then proceed to open an .exe file, which then installs the program? But how do you do the same thing on a PE?
No, the PE and EE do not have a hard drive in the sense you are thinking - they have flash memory instead.

The best way to download any apps is by using your PC and then transfering them either by WiFi, usb stick or SD card. Doing it this way you also have a backup of you apps on your PC.

Quote:
I have to admit that the PE has sat for the past week basically untouched and just admired. I don't want it to be a brick, so if anyone can just give links to advanced tutorials, or even make an advanced tutorial, man, would I appreciate it.

Thank you, all.
I have answered some of your questions but you would be much better informed if you took the time to browse through this forum.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Thank you, Ivanjt. I have spent weeks reading this forum, but--as with Windows, twenty-five years ago--it takes time to learn. For instance, I did not know that the PE did not have a "hard drive." I simply didn't know this. I spent the entire afternoon reading the forum, again, and have successfully installed Coolreader thanks to Obsessed. I had downloaded an .EXE file instead of an .APK file. So now I know that .APK files will be what I download from now on.

I would like to root the PE. I have downloaded the z4root file (latest version) and the Gapps file. Although I should really post another question rather than have thread-drift, I'd like to follow up with a question someone posed on that extremely long thread. How will I know if there is enough room on my non-existent hard drive to accommodate the files that root the device.

Thank you for your time and effort!
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Hilary!

Why do you want to root your device? Have you considered updating to pablob's golden Allmine and not rooting? I think that will give you access to the Google Market if that is what you want.

Also, have you read the Pocket eDGe User Guide that's in your Library? There are several very helpful videos, that I think still exist, showing the many uses of the PE. I can find them for you if you don't find them by searching this forum.

Even after a year with my beautiful little PE there are tons of things I don't know about it, and probably never will. It's more than an ereader and more than a tablet -- it's a rather complex, very capable device -- well worth the effort it takes to learn, IMHO!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Filark, thank you so much. I thought Golden Allmine was "rooting." So then those two files on that long thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159872 aren't rooting?

When I successfully updated to Ermine, I renamed the file plain "update" (with no extension at all, because I had read here that people were installing "update.zip.zip." Somehow, Windows allowed me to rename the file "update" and then added the "zip" to it, without warning me of the danger of making the file unstable (a typical Windows warning when you mess with file extensions).

So if I rename the two files from the above thread "update" and "gapps," I can just install them the way Obsessed2's Ermine update installed? Will that give me the ability to shop at the app marketplace, or not?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe pablob's Golden Allmine does not involve/require rooting. The answer is in that thread somewhere!

But I'm not convinced you need Google Android Market, either. I and many others get by without it. However, as soon as I get up the courage and make a full backup, I plan to install the pablob upgrade because it seems like a stable, worthwhile improvement.

From reading other people's posts I would say yes, the upgrade should install pretty much the same. Be sure you unzip rc3 and read the instructions, don't just rename the whole file.

There's a lot you can do, and learn, with you PE just as it is, so if you are at all uncomfortable/unsure about doing any update or change to your system I would advocate caution.

I hope you will soon be getting full enjoyment from your PE!

Last edited by Filark; 01-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Filark

Here is a link to enTourage videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/entourageedge#g/u. I highly recommend watching, at the very least, the "Getting to know the Pocket eDGe" video. Some of it will seem obvious to you by now, but I'll bet you will find out some things you didn't know!

Edit: I found the link in Obsessed2's excellent catch-all first post in his "Resources for New eDGe and Pocket eDGe Owners" thread. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878)

Last edited by Filark; 01-18-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Edit: I found the link in Obsessed2's excellent catch-all first post in his "Resources for New eDGe and Pocket eDGe Owners" thread. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878)
Oh, that post is my Entourage "Concordance!" I've read it so many times, I stopped counting. But I could have sworn it had links to the Golden Allmine update, and, rereading it yesterday--in two different sites!--I can't find anything. Maybe I just read too much.

Well, thank you again! (As for Adobe Reader, it's not important now that I've gotten Coolreader. Obsessed also has a read-aloud download link, so I guess I'll get that, too.) You and Ivan have convinced me that rooting isn't necessary, because I bought this specifically for the Reader, not the tablet.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
However, as soon as I get up the courage and make a full backup, I plan to install the pablob upgrade because it seems like a stable, worthwhile improvement.
Hi, Filark. I just was rereading yesterday's posts, and I want to encourage you to do the upgrade. I was much more afraid of this upgrade then of Obsessed's, but it honestly opened up a whole new world. (I feel like Pocohontas :

Thanks again for all your help and kind words.