Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
cognym
cognym began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Replacing my Sony with K3?

My son stepped on my Sony PRS-505 and 1/4 of the screen was frozen. I think it "broke" even though it didn't shatter. I loved my PRS505, and I'm so crushed. I really want to get the PRS650, but I just couldn't justify paying $229 for a PRS650 while I can get the K3 for $140.

I'm a hardcore reader, and I don't care much about all the other features. I liked the Sony because it was very light, much lighter compared to Kindle 2 and Nook, which I think were bulky. I also have tons and tons of books in ePub format. I know I can convert them to mobi format if I get the K3 but it's still extra time and effort, but it's okay I'll get over it.

So for those who have switched over from Sony to K3, and that you loved your Sony, are you happy that you made the switch? Should I suck it up and pay almost $90 extra (ouch!) for the PRS650? Please advise.

Thanks!
cognym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Beanie
Beanie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had a Pink Sony PRS-300, which I truly loved. The reason I switched to the Kindle was mainly because of the higher contrast screen and the wireless connectivity. The big Sony is still the only one that has the wireless connectivity, which I don't understand. I also like the font options on the Kindle more than on the Sony.

I would definitely recommend the Kindle. I love the fact that I can email books that I didn't get from Amazon to my Kindle and any DRM free books can be converted and emailed right from calibre. That way I don't have to wait until the battery dies to put on more books. The screen is just great! If you go in a store that has Sony, Kindle and Nook, you will see a difference like I did.
Beanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
cognym
cognym began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I don't think you can compare PRS-300 to Kindle. You have to own the PRS-505 to feel the elegant design, the intuitive navigation, and the lightness of it. Can K3 match that?

I've spent the last hours browsing the forum on devices comparison, and my confusion is greater than ever.
cognym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have you considered the PRS-350? It is the best 5" E Ink Reader available and with discounts is close to the cost of the K3. The 5" screen will give you fewer words per screen and it has some other hardware constraints to cut costs, but this in the same class as the PRS-650.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
bliink
bliink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, RIP Sony PRS-500
Jump ship! I upgraded from the PRS-500, which would have been almost identical to the 505 in size and design apart from a few of the side buttons. I owned my 500 for almost 3 years and loved and abused it to pieces (the duct tape keeping it together at the end was a bit telling), but I regret nothing about jumping over to the Kindle.

The actual Kindle itself is lighter than the Sony but with the case on they're almost identical in weight and size. The primary difference I saw was the speed and the contrast of the screens! The Kindle just blew my 500 out of the water in terms of page turning speed, and there was a visible difference in contrast when I had both side by side. Please note I'm comparing the Kindle to the 500, not the newer Sony models which I'm sure have improved speed and contrast.

Like you I thought of just upgrading to the newer Sony model, but at $140 for the Kindle I couldn't resist. Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure Amazon has a return policy that would let you try it out and return if you decided you weren't a fan.
bliink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Fork out for a Sony, you won't regret it. It will take you to a new world of ereading due to its matte touchscreen, that answers to a whisperswipe of your fingertips and makes it the most natural reading experience ever. They are small, solid, sturdy though extremely lightweight and incredebly sexy
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
You can't compare PRS-500, 505 and 300 with Kindle 3.
You compare old Sony models with the latest Kindle.
You need to compare PRS-350/650 with the Kindle 3.

That said if you just want to read text, PRS-650 is too expensive, PRS-350 is too small, feel comfortable with converting epub to mobi, don't want to read books from public libraries and don't need a touchscreen then go with K3. Otherwise PRS-350 or PRS-650 would be a better choice.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliink View Post
Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure Amazon has a return policy that would let you try it out and return if you decided you weren't a fan.
If she can afford then buy both, check them out and return the looser.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Gognym. Although out of production now, you'll still find 505s popping up the the 'Flea Market' forum here (used, refurbed or unused). If my 505 ever went down, I'd never consider a Kindle because of its Mobi formatting (you won't be able to convert your ePub books if a title carries DRM without illegally stripping it) and, of course, Kindle isn't compatible with books from a public ebook lending library. Good luck with your choice and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I upgraded from a PRS505 to a Kindle 3 (via a Kindle 2) and don't regret it for a minute. Even without the Amazon infrastructure and syncing, the screen was miles better, much crisper, and (the deal breaker for me) a MUCH better range of font sizes (even on the Kindle 2) - I did find the 3 on the Sony a little limiting as my eyesight has deteriorated - there are about 8 on the Kindle, sometimes I change depending on lighting and situation (on the train, in bed, wherever).

I did have a look at the new Sony 350 and 650 in the Sony store but, to my eyes, still found them a little fuzzy - one of the reasons I don't like that type of touch screen.

I haven't weighed the Kindle 3 vs the Sony 505, but I think the Kindle 3 is lighter, you are correct about the bulk of the Kindle 2, the weight is more comparable.

I converted all my old EPUBs with Calibre and am a happy camper.

I just need to pull my finger out and sell my 505, 300, and Kindle 2 on EBay sometime!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Ah the SONY PRS-505 love that device was my first reader and what a beautiful design. I took that reader everywhere with me and after do much use and abuse the screen finally cracked on me.

That is when I made the switch to the kindle platform. All I must say is there is no comparison the kindle beats the sony in many ways. There are some things that the sony does better, like navigating the TOC and the one button access to all the bookmarks. but that is it.

The kindle reading software is much better than the sony, for instance the built in dictionary, the easy to use annotation, the search, the keyboard shortcuts, google, wikipedia.

Now add Amazon's customer support, the kindle services, and book store.

Note I made the switch to the kindle2 the kindle3 is an even better device so you will be even happier with your purchase.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-12-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: cut n paste error
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are in the US go to a Best Buy and compare the Sony 650 to the Kindle 3. See which one feels better to you and let that be your deciding factor.

Or take the advice given by others and buy a K3 from Amazon. You have 30 days to use it and if you don't like it, you can return it and get a full refund. I do not know what Sony's return policy is but if it is similar and you can afford it, buy a Sony 650 as well and see which one you find yourself using on a more regular basis.

You will end up enjoying either device. They are both well built and do a great job reading e-books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
As has been said before, you CANNOT compare the 505 with a Kindle 3 -- they are different generation devices. The correct comparison is the Sony 350/650 to the K3.

The new Sonys have the same Pearl screen as the K3. There is no difference.

Although the 505 had very limited zooming, the new models have much greater zooming capabilities. The touchscreen, which was problematic in terms of clarity on the predecessor 300/600/900 models for some users, is now as clear as the K3 screen. As for weight, the new Sonys are much lighter (or at least feel that way) than the older 505. The K3 and the new Sonys are probably similar in weight but are not similar in ergonomics.

The questions you need to ask yourself are these:
  • Do I want to convert my current ebooks from ePub to Mobi?
  • Am I able to strip the DRM from any ePub that has it? (Yes, I know there are tools available and many MR members do it regularly, but the question is whether you are capable or comfortable in doing it, not that others can do it.)
  • Where do I prefer to buy my ebooks? (If you prefer to buy your ebooks at Amazon, then your problem is really solved, buy the K3; OTOH, if your favorite ebookstore sells ePub formatted ebooks, you choice should be the Sony, Kobo, or Nook unless you prefer to strip and convert everything you buy.)
Good luck. You really won't go wrong with either a new-generation Sony or the K3 in terms of reading. I read for 4-5 hours every day on my 950, just as I did on my 505.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Gognym. Although out of production now, you'll still find 505s popping up the the 'Flea Market' forum here (used, refurbed or unused). If my 505 ever went down, I'd never consider a Kindle because of its Mobi formatting (you won't be able to convert your ePub books if a title carries DRM without illegally stripping it) and, of course, Kindle isn't compatible with books from a public ebook lending library. Good luck with your choice and best wishes. Neil
in the United States until it is changed at the Supreme Court, stripping DRM for PERSONAL use is NOT illegal
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Robot Monkey
Robot Monkey has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Incredible, Sony PRS-505
I switched from 505 to the Kindle 3 a couple months ago and haven't looked back.

CON
  • My Kindle 3 in its lighted case *is* a little bulkier than the 505, but not so much so that I notice.
  • I like the Sony's homepage a little better.
  • I can't set up collections on in Calibre for the Kindle (must be done on the Kindle).
  • Must buy a Kindle case separately (it was included with the 505).
  • The pagination is weird on the Kindle. It uses "locations" instead of a simulated page count. That makes it less than intuitive if you try to jump back, say, ten pages.
PRO
  • Not only is the screen better (higher contrast IMO), but the typeface is hugely better. Italics actually looks like designed italics as opposed to slanted Times New Roman (again, IMO).
  • My Kindle doesn't crash. My 505 does, frequently.
  • I've found Kindle's instant dictionary look-ups to be surprisingly handy.
  • Kindle doesn't "reverse text" the footnote number or symbol. Not a big deal, but I always found it distracting on my 505.
  • I can charge my Kindle with the same charger as my cell phone and bluetooth headset.
  • I love how the Calibre news function drops my Instapaper articles onto my Kindle homepage.
  • It's so much faster.
The only thing that would stop me from switching is if I had a big DRMed library, but this wasn't an issue in my case.

You have no idea how much I loved my 505, but I haven't looked back since I made the switch.
Robot Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, prs 650, sony