Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I think I see a Factory Reset in my Future...

Just opened this ticket with Kobo Support. Let me know if you have any insight to this matter, as I don't expect to hear back anytime soon:

I've had my Kobo WiFi for two months now with no issues. I purchased 3 books from the Kobo website and I read a bit of each of them before taking a break to read some library books. Everything worked great.

While enjoying my library books, I upgraded my Kobo firmware to 1.7.4. I follow the mobile read forums, so I am very aware of bugs and issues that have resulted from this upgrade, but I didn't notice anything on my Kobo that was different. That is, until yesterday when I tried to access one of my purchased books that I hadn't accessed since before the firmware upgrade.

What I discovered was that all three books were LOCKED. Message reads, "The content you are trying to view is locked". WHAT?! I BOUGHT this book! All three books have the same message.

I deleted all three books using the 'delete this book' function on my Kobo, went to the Kobo Desktop App and re-updated the library and re-synched. Same problem. I went back to the Kobo Desktop App and tried the "Update Library" and re-synch again - this resulted in DUPLICATE copies of my books!!! What? How is that even possible!? BOTH copies of each book are now locked. I tried again by deleting one book (and its duplicate) and then re-synching and now something new and special happens when I try to open that book (instead of the locked content message):

1. Freezes when trying to load this book. Cover appears - and loading message appears on the bottom, but no dark bar showing progress appears. Also the blue power light flickers on quickly - then off. Appears to be off! Or frozen...
2. I then press the 'Power' button, and the blue light flashes on and off again quickly and then the "powered off" message appears with the front cover of the book.
3. I press the 'Power' button again, and the blue light comes on and the Kobo goes back to 'books I am reading'.

That seems to be an issue with a locked book that can't even seem to display the 'locked content' message!

Long story short - I've purchased three books that I cannot access on my Kobo - either because they are LOCKED or WILL NOT LOAD.

*Interesting side note: I did try something else - but I don't consider this a solution - but rather proof that the problem is with the Kobo Desktop App: I can download my books from the Kobo website to my PC, open them in ADE, side-load them to my Kobo - and the book is accessible. I should NOT have to go through these steps, though - esp. since some of the properties of the books are lost during this procedure (like the cover art, for example).

Please let me know what I can do to solve this. Am I correct in assuming that my files are corrupt on the Kobo and perhaps need to perform a factory reset? Any other ideas? I've heard that people with Windows 7 (which is the OS I use) may have problems with the Kobo desktop app. Could this be the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I had the same issue when I upgraded to the new firmware, and indeed, a factory reset was required. I have to admit that I should have done that from the start, going by my experience with PC motherboard and other PC type firmware upgrades; In most cases, a reset of any device to factory defaults that has had a firmware upgrade generally recommended, both prior to, and after, just to make sure all settings are being applied properly (some settings might not exist anymore, or might be handled in a different way). It would seem E-readers are no exception to this rule .

Also, make sure you're running the most up to date version of the Software client. Grab the *.exe from the kobo ereader itself and let it download and install the latest version. I haven't had a problem with windows 7 as of yet, but if you're running into a wall, try right clicking and running the app as admin. normally it shouldn't be needed, but at least give it a try.

Last edited by Psyke; 12-31-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Doing the factory reset isn't any big deal. It only takes a few seconds. That will clear all your books from the reader (other than the 100 free preloaded books). You will need to re-enter the data and time etc.

Then with respect to the desktop app, I would go to your Kobo Books account library and delete the books from your I'm Reading tab (the books will still be in your Purchased tab).

Then start the desktop app and Update Library and that will clear all the books out from the app. Then go to the Kobo Books library and put all your books back into the I'm Reading tab by going to the Purchased tab and selecting to Bookmark each one.

Then Update the Desktop App to reload all your books to the app and then Resync your reader to update all your books to the reader.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I was experiencing the exact same as you were the book cover loaded and then nothing happened. The steps above that ltr suggested have worked for me.

I think Kobo should make it clearer what will happen when you do a factory reset - I was concerned about losing the 100 free books - but then will still be there. Since I didn't own any other books yet, the reset was painless.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
I was experiencing the exact same as you were the book cover loaded and then nothing happened. The steps above that ltr suggested have worked for me.

I think Kobo should make it clearer what will happen when you do a factory reset - I was concerned about losing the 100 free books - but then will still be there. Since I didn't own any other books yet, the reset was painless.
well, it should be rather clear already. a Factory reset brings it back to the same condition as when you bought it; ie, the books came from the factory, so they are safe
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

One question though: Will a factory reset screw up my Kobo being 'recognized' by ADE? After the reset, I will have to go back and sideload my library books again...I am going to be very upset if I have problems with ADE after the reset...

Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I think you'll be fine, but if it wasn't recognized by ADE you can simply de-authorize ADE and then re-authorize it.

With ADE open and the reader connected press Ctrl + Shift + E. ADE will ask if you are sure and you select Yes.

Then unplug and then replug the reader into the PC and ADE will popup a box saying a new device is detected to be authorized.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

Thanks, ltr. You've been a big help. Kobo should start paying you...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic

Just tried it, and it worked like a charm. Faster than trying to delete my purchased books and reload them yesterday.

ADE asked me to reauthorize the Kobo - I did, and there it was. No issues.

Thanks again for all the help. I am going to update my ticket with this solution and ask Kobo to post to their FAQs.

Last edited by pokee; 12-31-2010 at 06:36 PM.