Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
meatballs
meatballs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
App Wishlist

Are there any lists of apps that people want for their kindle? I can think of a few:

Kindle Clock - changes screensaver to a clock display. (Bad for battery life?)
Kindle Alarm - Wakes you up.
Kindle Maps - Display Googlemaps better on the kindle - could be done with a website?
Kindle Notes - Just allow you to write notes/reminders
or
Kindle Calendar.

Simples.
meatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
lh128
lh128 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Notes, desperately need notes.

I don't understand why Amazon won't have this simple function. It won't take too much time to program, after all. There are web, there are social networks, there are MP3 (who will listen to MP3 on Kindle, by the way?), but no Notes -- on a device with full keyboard.

I know the keyboard is small and e-ink refresh rate is slow. But I can live with that. At least for a note of one or two pages, I won't need to carry another laptop or something.
lh128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh128 View Post
Notes, desperately need notes.
One thousand times yes!

Notes and if possible, some kind of shopping list app that allows you to add items from a menu to your shopping list.

I can understand that they want to keep it simple to make sure they don't confuse the average consumer with a ton of options. But the average consumer loves options, as long as there's the appearance of simplicity (that's kind of Apple's business model: take something somebody else already invented, make it easy, pretty and expensive, then try to make it seem exclusive even though it's not, rinse, lather, repeat).

That's one of the things I just don't understand. The developers clearly don't have a problem with this. That's why you can search for "4+4" and you'll get 8. That's why you can hit Alt+Shift+M to pull up Minesweeper and GoMoku. The average user won't ever find those easter eggs, which, I suppose, is sort of the point. But I'm sure many people would even happily pay a buck or two if there was a Minesweeper game easily available in the Kindle store.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballs View Post
Are there any lists of apps that people want for their kindle?
Simples.
I'd love a simple POP3 Mail client. With that I could download my email at home and read it on the train later. I know that I can connect to e.g. Gmail, but a client would me much nicer (simple interface, scalable fonts, etc.)

Cheers, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
scotter
scotter began at the beginning.

Device: K3
http://kindlemap.net/
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotter View Post
Very interesting. It is now bookmarked. I entered a zipcode and it worked, as did Paris (funny it did not offer Texas? (g))
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
in my app. wish list is a

file manager

to be able to copy files from / to all available (unprotected) folders in kindle.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
lgx
lgx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (B008)
Voice notes and voice control
lgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
KukMan
KukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi US
It would be great to write Terminal emulator for Kindle. But, notes it is more significant.

Also, international keyboard input it is also significant ( I'm from Ukraine and use Cyrillic ).
KukMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
cleber
cleber began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
japanese word look up

It would be great if kindle was able to look up Japanese words in J-E dictionary.

I am not quite sure if the kindle 3 can handle it. I tried using a dictionary I created based on EDICT (a free dictionary) but without success.

Could any kind soul try and check if it this feature could be easily included into the current firmware?

Another nice feature would be to create a list of words that you looked up. There is a similar feature in one of the Sony e-readers.

These two features would result in a much better experience to those who want to use kindle to learn Japanese.

Thanks!!
cleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
cleber, it is *possible* to recompile a J-E dictionary to include romaji index for each headword. This way it does not require Kindle hacking. You will be using the standard keyboard layout for looking up Japanese words using romaji.

The alternative of hacking the Kindle and making a Japanese keyboard entry and Japanese search function is far more difficult and would require some hardcore programmers.

Last edited by osnova; 11-04-2010 at 06:36 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
cleber
cleber began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
japanese word look up

thank you for replying, osnova.

It is a good suggestion, but I am sorry I think I was not very clear on what I would like to see implemented in Kindle.

I would like that kindle recognizes the Japanese word in a e-book the same way it does when you put the cursor at the beginning of an English word. Since Japanese texts usually do not separate words with spaces, this feature might involve some rewriting of the look up algorithm.

By the way, I sent an e-mail to Amazon support asking them about the inclusion of this feature in a future firmware release:

"
Comments:I am very happy with my Kindle 3, specially because I can read Japanese texts on it. However, I have been looking for a Japanese to English dictionary for Kindle without success.

So I tried to make my own dictionary using EDICT (a free J-E dictionary) and Mobipocket Creator. I set my dictionary as the default one, but the "word look up" feature has not worked.

I would like to know whether the Kindle firmware is able to look up Japanese words or there is some limitation; which should explain the lack of a Japanese dictionary.

In case the present Kindle software does not support Japanese look up, I would appreciate if you consider to add this feature in a future firmware update.

Thank you.

Cleber
"

Answer:

"
Hello,

Thanks for writing about adding the Japanese to English dictionary feature in the Kindle.

Currently, we don't have this feature on the Kindle, but I've forwarded your suggestions to the Kindle Team who'll carefully review your suggestions and make updates to the Kindle for the convenience of our customers.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?
"

What bugs me a bit is that there were big news about Amazon introducing kindle to Japan and seeking to get a slice of the Japanese e-book reader market and they didn't stop to think that a J-E dictionary look up system would be a minimum required feature.
cleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
cleber, now I get the issue. I've read that even in some languages that have a break between words as in Russian, the dictionary lookup is not working and there is no clear reason why.

Amazon added Unicode ranges for Japanese and Chinese (and other languages); however, they do not "officially" support them.

However, I see that hackers are actually expanding Kindle 3's functionality. Folks on the Russian forum have added a Russian/Ukrainian keyboard that can be opened with Alt+Sym. This method would also work for other languages that have a limited number of letters in their alphabet.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Definitely a notes ap, and I would also love a calendar and a list ap.

Then I could let go of my trusty little Palm Pilot.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
meatballs
meatballs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Hmm another feature I would quite like is to have a custom dictionary per book.

You sometimes find at the back of a sci-fi novel definitions of all the terms that have been made up, or in epic fantasy you have so many characters you forget who they are at times. Could use the dictionary function to look them up...
meatballs is offline   Reply With Quote