Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly true but don't hold your breath. You seem to be in the camp that every DRM method does not work but I think that is just wishful thinking.

Dale
well, really i'm in the camp that thinks drm is a pointless waste of money that only punishes legitimate users, and should be abolished. also i'm in the camp that thinks that no drm method is foolproof, because there is always some way to get around it if you really want to, even if it's not cracked (as was mentioned elsewhere). in that sense i guess you're right, i think every drm method does not work (some don't work more than others, of course).

but since we are specifically talking about cracking drm here, actually i think that there is an increasingly good chance of adobe drm being cracked because it is being used more and more ; before it wasn't really a problem because you could always get a different format, like lit, which was cracked. but with the emergence of epub and the european publishers seeming to choose epub over other formats adobe drm is becoming a lot more common. that might be the incentive the hacking community needed to really go at it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #47
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, really i'm in the camp that thinks drm is a pointless waste of money that only punishes legitimate users, and should be abolished. also i'm in the camp that thinks that no drm method is foolproof, because there is always some way to get around it if you really want to, even if it's not cracked (as was mentioned elsewhere). in that sense i guess you're right, i think every drm method does not work (some don't work more than others, of course).

but since we are specifically talking about cracking drm here, actually i think that there is an increasingly good chance of adobe drm being cracked because it is being used more and more ; before it wasn't really a problem because you could always get a different format, like lit, which was cracked. but with the emergence of epub and the european publishers seeming to choose epub over other formats adobe drm is becoming a lot more common. that might be the incentive the hacking community needed to really go at it.
Or OCR software may continue to get better and better until it flawlessly copies printed text. Pretty much the way word processors in the seventies got better and better until by the mid nineties what you saw on the screen became what printed on the page.

Behold, everything old is new again.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #48
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Eventually, somebody will write a "vampire" DRM breaking program. What is that? For every DRM scheme, at some stage, there has to be a video buffer holding the screen text, unencrypted. A program that reads the buffer and stores it would act as the perfect DRM breaker, for any DRM. (not to mention it could be set up as a translation program to any format...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #49
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly true but don't hold your breath. You seem to be in the camp that every DRM method does not work but I think that is just wishful thinking.

Dale
I think it is mostly a question of demand. At the moment, Adobe DRM holds a relatively small part of the market place for ebooks. Popular literature (i.e., novel, memoirs, etc.) that can be obtained in Adobe DRM formats can also usually be obtained through Mobi or .lit and therefore there is little need to jailbreak another DRM scheme.

In practice, the single biggest obstacle to unbreakable DRM is the fact that the end user must some how or other have the key. Ultimately, if epub begins to gain traction at the expense of other formats, I suspect that the incentatives to break Adobe DRM schemes will increase. I wouldn't expect it to happen this year, but I think I would be surprised if it hadn't been broken in 5 years.

--
Bill

Last edited by bill_mchale; 02-17-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Clean up some of the writing
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think it is mostly a question of demand. At the moment, Adobe DRM holds a relatively small part of the market place for ebooks. Popular literature (i.e., novel, memoirs, etc.) that can be obtained in Adobe DRM formats can also usually be obtained through Mobi or .lit and therefore there is little need to jailbreak another DRM scheme.

In practice, the single biggest obstacle the single biggest obstacle to unbreakable DRM is the fact that the end user must some how or other have the key. Ultimately, if epub begins to gain traction at the expense of other formats, I suspec that the incentatives to break Adobe DRM schemes will increase. I wouldn't expect it to happen this year, but I think I would be surprised if it hadn't been broken in 5 years.

--
Bill
yes, that's exactly what i think (but i bet it will happen sooner than 5 years).
Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #51
zelda_pinwheel

it looks like sometimes wishes are not so farfetched ! Adobe adept drm has now been circumvented ! and we didn't even have to wait 5 years. i can't say i'm surprised (although i am thrilled) ; as i mentioned earlier, i think the only reason it didn't happen sooner is that it was not widely enough used, and other forms of drm were more of a priority.

proof yet again that no drm is uncrackable, and there's really no point in continuing to use it.

this is a great day for honest ebook buyers everywhere ! now i can finally buy epub files instead of lit !! yay !!

for my next wish, i'd like all publishers to abandon drm altogether. since wishes seem to be coming true these days... down with drm !
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Good things come to those who wait.
Or who don't, evidently.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #53
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Good things come to those who wait.
Or who don't, evidently.
the power of wishing, eh ?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #54
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Getting back to the ORIGINAL subject of this thread…

I've glanced over a number of the comments submitted late in the process by industry advocacy groups and industry-related websites, and written a review for TeleRead.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/02/28/ftc-comments/
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #55
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And here's an excellent rebuttal to all those pro-DRM FTC comments. (Is anyone reading this? Should I maybe start a new thread with these blog posts for greater visibility?)

http://www.di2.nu/200903/01.htm
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel

i'm reading it. and i was thinking that someone should send the ftc a link to this thread.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #57
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wrote a comment thanks
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote