Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #31
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
AH WATERSTONES!!! never even occurred to me to ask that!
*adds to list of crap to check for next time*

and "No" that is not a bog-standard Kindle Screensaver.

I have no Waterstones device but IIRC there is quite a volume of references to the correct procedure for that now on here *somewhere*

At least you are not going mad.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wasn't far from going mad, there...

So what should I do now?
Any post of recommendation or should I just shoot in the dark for a while?

I have, as I mentioned, a custom screen saver, but this is a file I transfered through SSH... I really want the hack, though!
crepewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohenden View Post
Wasn't far from going mad, there...

So what should I do now?
Any post of recommendation or should I just shoot in the dark for a while?

I have, as I mentioned, a custom screen saver, but this is a file I transfered through SSH... I really want the hack, though!
Try the search button in upper right hand corner of page.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Various (helpful) results using knc1's method

*does best genie voice* I believe you will find the answer you seek here *puff of smoke*

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=4 <-- so maybe expand on this? I would...

and the other stuffs

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...86&postcount=5

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=3

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...34&postcount=9

but honestly? without a device. this is pure hearsay and, on my part, speculation.

Last edited by twobob; 02-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Install custom screensaver on Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite

INDEED!!

---------------------------------------------
Downgrade, Jailbreak, Upgrade, Hack

- Downgraded to 5.3.1 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- download file and insert in the root folder(that is not a folder but the top level of "kindle". Then install update via settings menu

- Installed jailbreak from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
- followed the readme - two files in root, one in documents

- Upgraded to 5.3.3 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- Same procedure as downgrade

- Installed dev certs from here: http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/51
- insert into root and update from menu

- installed rescue pack from here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2290044
- insert into root and update from menu

- installed the hack from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
- downloaded the links and took the install-file and inserted in the root folder. Then did a update

Install USBnetwork, SSH, delete Waterstones screensaver

- Install USBnetwork. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645
- Now on your Kindle go to [Menu] -> Settings -> [Menu] -> Update Your Kindle. Once done, eject and unplug your Paperwhite.

- Now we need to test if it's installed correctly. On your Paperwhite, tap the search icon at the top. Type in ";un" without the quotations. It'll go back to the home screen thereafter. Now plug your Kindle into your Mac. If it doesn't show up as a device like it normally does, it's worked!

- SSH into your device and navigate to the waterstones screensaver image in /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

- Delete image and reboot device

It works

Last edited by crepewolf; 02-21-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Fixed links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
twobob

Tada.... Thanks immensely for the write up... *from the future readers*

Install custom screensaver on Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite <- noted as search term

appreciated by all doubtlessly and probably wordlessly
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
crepewolf
Member Retired

This is indeed a result of taking five different post and merge those into one - a complete noob-guide per say.

Thanks for taking time supporting with advice!

I'd like to add to the suggest-box a link in the official hack-guide to this "Install custom screensaver on Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite" post.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #38
twobob

not a bad plan...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/HowTo_Index#Modifying is editable by us all of course...
including you hehehe

Of course: a very KIND soul could even remove the need for the USBNETWORKING stage by making this a one shot TOGGLE WATERSTONES KUAL utility button.

Simply make the script expect the replacement pictures IN A KNOWN LOCATION like say... /mnt/us/extensions/waterstones/ss and do the swapping from there

Anyways... yes. good thoughts.

nice work!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #39
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohenden View Post
This is indeed a result of taking five different post and merge those into one - a complete noob-guide per say.

Thanks for taking time supporting with advice!

I'd like to add to the suggest-box a link in the official hack-guide to this "Install custom screensaver on Waterstones Kindle Paperwhite" post.
I'm glad to see that you have a custom screensaver set up now
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I have my paperwhite showing last opened no probs. Just blindly followed instructions. 5.3.3 , french one bought from Amazon.fr
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #41
Lukey
Lukey began at the beginning.

Thumbs up A VERY BIG THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
1) You don't need USBnetwork.
2) See the information here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I didn't stumble across this post.

I now have custom screensavers. Very simple to do, just followed the instructions.

Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Great! Glad you got it working.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #43
kingka
kingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheesekingka can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle paperwhite
finally got mine working.

I've created an account just to tell you guys that after going through all this, I finally got mine working.

what nobody mentioned here is that your screensaver files need to have the proper naming conventions.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but follow what the original png wallpapers were called. and just add to the numbering convention.

when you restart your kindle make sure it is NOT plugged into the USB, otherwise it will just use the old wallpapers when it boots back up.

I've tested it a few more times and yes. if you restart while plugged in, it uses the old wallpapers, and when you restart when its not plugged in, it will use your custom wallpapers.

so, in short.

use the proper naming convention, and make sure it's not plugged in when you reboot.

cheers.
kingka is offline   Reply With Quote