Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you pre-ordered the Kindle Fire?
Already clicked that green button. Hurry up Amazon. 28 22.22%
Definitely will pre-order, just waiting until: home from work/payday/spouse approval etc 5 3.97%
Neither 93 73.81%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I might get one later but will have to save up the $200.00 to do so, and who knows the price may just go down before I have been able to set the funds aside.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have preordered, but I'm not sure that I'll actually pull the trigger. Or if I do get it, whether I will keep it or give it as a gift. But as of now, I've preordered.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Ordered 3. Started off ordering by my own, 2 of my friends at work saw me, and both shrieked "me, too" ....

At least I'll be in good company - people as pumped up/happy/anxious as me awaiting November 15th
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I was ready to pull the trigger but given I'm primarily looking for a comic reader, I searched the Amazon Appstore first for Perfect Viewer. It wasn't there and further searches showed there weren't any decent comic readers on Amazon yet. I'm delaying my purchase until they get one, however, I am finding the 1280x800 resolution on the Toshiba Thrive 7" quite tempting.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm waiting for hands-on reviews. All this is still hype until someone actually uses it and puts the device through its paces.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Even if this comes to the U.K., I'll give it a miss as it has little to offer over my Galaxy Tab.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #22
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
I usually am a second-wave-adopter so I'll let you guys test it.

Plus: I am in Germany and the only new Kindle we got here is the cheap base model. We still don't have the DX...
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
tequila0341
Enthusiast
tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kobo Glo HD
I preordered, but I'm having significant doubts now. The lack of memory expandability really hurts it - right now I can't think of anything that the Fire brings that a rooted NC doesn't, while the NC has the ability to expand memory with SD cards. The Fire is dependent on Wi-fi and a 5GB storage limit on non-Amazon content.

I'm waiting to see what BN brings with the NC2. If it's easily rootable, then I'm not sure why I would buy the Fire.
tequila0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nope. Let's for argument's sake ignore the geographical restrictions, I still wouldn't have pre-ordered.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I pre-ordered to get in the queue, but I can cancel if I change my mind.

The announcement(s) of so many devices surprised me; the new e-ink don't seem to offer much beyond what I currently have with my K3.

But, the Fire (sigh) looks like it will be an expanded device on the Amazon road.

Curiosity is probably more of the reason I ordered it than anything. What could it hurt? ($200 is not something I throw away, just in case you think I have money to burn.) Amazon does have a lovely return policy if I'm disappointed.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's looking more and more like I'll pass on it. 8GB leaves me cold.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's screen is larger but I can see no reason why I'd use this over my Galaxy II S which now has an additional 32GB micro-SD plus if Amazon can't be bothered with people outside the US then I can't be bothered with them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #28
RedWolfeXR
RedWolfeXR began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
I am somewhat bemused.. Amazon chose NOT to offer a Secure Mobipocket option on Android and now wants to introduce an android device.

I understand the economics and why Amazon has all but killed the non-Kindle versions of Secure Mobi but I STILL have 500 books in the format that I have to use a third party reader for.

If they want me to buy a reader from them then they can allow me to import my mobi library to the kindle. It was bad enough that they decided not to support android when they weren't offering one.

I will stick to my Xoom, which already has 4 different readers for different formats. I keep hoping they offer a conversion service someday, but I suspect the legal issues are more than they want to overcome.

At least I was able to convert all my old Microsoft Reader docs.
RedWolfeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's looking more and more like I'll pass on it. 8GB leaves me cold.

Well, its 8GB plus 5GB in the cloud. And $20 per year gets you 20Gs more. If you look at it that way, its not so bad. Of course, if you spend a lot of time in the wildnerness or on the high seas, that might not be so good.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It is missing the SD card slot, that certainly is a no-sale for me.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote