Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do tehnical erros bother you
They bother me enough that I will not buy/read other books by this author 9 16.98%
They bother me, but I can generally see my way through to the story 38 71.70%
I barely notice them 4 7.55%
I don't care about technical errors 1 1.89%
I don't know enough to notice them 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #16
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
in science fiction they could completely make up the science, i'm not about to check.
Making up the science is not a problem. The problem is when they are not consistent with what they make up. Bypassing time by going through a worm hole then cutting an exit through the side with their supervibro survival knife? Yup totally acceptable. When in the next chapter they say the side of a worm hole is totally impregnable and don't follow up with a reason for the change then I toss it into the fireplace or hit delete.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Making up the science is not a problem. The problem is when they are not consistent with what they make up. Bypassing time by going through a worm hole then cutting an exit through the side with their supervibro survival knife? Yup totally acceptable. When in the next chapter they say the side of a worm hole is totally impregnable and don't follow up with a reason for the change then I toss it into the fireplace or hit delete.
true but to me thats just sloppy writing lol. if the author gives the incorrect mass of a blue giant star, however, i'll never know if its wrong or not.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #18
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It really depends on the level of inaccuracy. Is it something minor, or a glaring major one? Most of the time, they're minor in my experience and aren't a big problem. I have had issues with some that made me want to stop reading the book.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry.C View Post
For me also it depends on the kind of the book.
For a reference book: irritating, even more so than usually you only learn later on, too late, that it is wrong or blatantly inaccurate. I'll forgive but lose confidence.
In a reference book, factual errors are inexcusable. That's the only circumstance is which I will not tolerate them at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
in science fiction they could completely make up the science, i'm not about to check.
Heh, that's why I've stayed with fantasy in my own writing; I enjoy sci-fi and have had a few good ideas in that genre, but I don't know enough science to make it comfortable for me.

I would think, though, that the Internet makes it much easier for authors to fact check as they are writing. I know the hazards of using Wikipedia as a source, but I still find myself using it about 20 times a week in my job just to check casual facts that come up in documents I am editing. If I see something where an author hasn't even bothered that level of research, then I can be less tolerant of an author's gaffes.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While scifi and fantasy can make stuff up, most is still rooted in fact at some level. I've seen many instances where real things are brought up in stories, and presented completely wrong. For instance, with Urban Fantasy, you'll still see guns and real life things, and are meant to be presented just as they are in real life, but inexperience of the author makes them far from how they are factually.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
It generally depends on how widespread and horrible the errors are, for me. If they're very bad, I definitely consider not buying more work by the same author.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
In fact I get turned off by the opposite -- an author who must spend pages explaining how their fantasy science works. I don't get too hung up over this though. I just skip/skim over that section.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
In fact I get turned off by the opposite -- an author who must spend pages explaining how their fantasy science works. I don't get too hung up over this though. I just skip/skim over that section.
I like that, personally. I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy, and I really like the detailed explanations he gives as to how the magic works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
While scifi and fantasy can make stuff up, most is still rooted in fact at some level. I've seen many instances where real things are brought up in stories, and presented completely wrong. For instance, with Urban Fantasy, you'll still see guns and real life things, and are meant to be presented just as they are in real life, but inexperience of the author makes them far from how they are factually.
The book that started me thinking this way is semi-science fiction. And does that.

Since I started this poll, F-84 Sabre (that is about 30 seconds on Google to find out that the Sabre was the F-86).

And now confusing helocast with fast rope or fast rappel for inserting people froma helicopter. And even getting the name wrong, calling it a heliocast. Helio means sun or solar. Helo is as in helicopter.

If you were wondering, Helocast is where the helicopter flies at about 10 feet and the people just jump out into the water. Fast rope is using ropes to slide down, more like using a fireman's pole than a typical rope descent. Fast rappel is a form of rappeling (meaning using a harness) but at VERY high speed. he military tends to do it head first so you can look and even fire on targets as you go down the rope. Again a minute or two on Google would have fixed that.

And not to get into the technical inaccuracies about flying and how to fly.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
If it's relatively minor, it doesn't ruin the whole book for me, but even then it does pull me out of the story for a bit. I think it bothers me more in movies-- like that Bjork movie "Dancer in the Dark" where the Supreme Court tries her for murder. The U.S. Supreme Court only hears appeals. It doesn't try cases.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #27
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
In movies and TV, the inaccuracy that most irritates me is someone firing 7,000 rounds out of a revolver. But I keep watching if she's cute.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #28
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
In movies and TV, the inaccuracy that most irritates me is someone firing 7,000 rounds out of a revolver. But I keep watching if she's cute.
One movie I saw, one of the guys had a "9mm shotgun"... Idjuts...
Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
One movie I saw, one of the guys had a "9mm shotgun"... Idjuts...
Was it an antique? Those really did exist: Winchester M/36
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Hellmark
Wizard

If I remember right, the gun was actually a 12ga Remington 870. While there is technically a shotgun shell with 9mm diameter, not quite the same thing. The m36 they made for 7 years, and a total of 20k were made. The ammo was not made for years, and only semirecently has Fiocchi started making it as a specialty in small batches for collectors. The guy was some innercity thug type, so I doubt he'd be using 85-90 year old guns with extremely rare ammo.

Another similar example was in another movie, where one character had told another to that their Glock's "safety was still on", and they proceeded to work the slide release.