Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Book price incident !

I've been recommended "The Invisible Ones" by Stef Penney.

A few days ago, I had a flyer from a book-buying club [print] I belong to.

It offered it at £5.99.

This spurred me into action.

However ....

kindle £9.02
Lovereading £11.99
" " £13.65
Foyles £15.83

Guess what I did ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Guess what I did ?
Made a fairly logical financial decision?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now lets see.........

Diap, even I managed to get that one right !

P'raps I should have a bash at the Greek/Euro financial situation ?

Followed up by a tinker with Wall Street..................

That'll be enough though, my Mum told never play Footsie with strangers......
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Ah. One of those. I have them everytime I want to get an e-book in Swedish. Pay 100 SEK +( 10 euro/ 14 dollar/ 9 pund) or get it for free from the library? Guess what I do? *loves Elib*
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I've been recommended "The Invisible Ones" by Stef Penney.

A few days ago, I had a flyer from a book-buying club [print] I belong to.

It offered it at £5.99.

This spurred me into action.

However ....

kindle £9.02
Lovereading £11.99
" " £13.65
Foyles £15.83

Guess what I did ?
And Amazon had a higher price for the paperback also that matched the price for the Kindle edition. I thought the whole idea with book-buying clubs was that they could get extra low prices. So why did you expect the book-buying club to be more expensive in this case? The rational thing ought to be to buy from the book-buying club.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Ah. One of those. I have them everytime I want to get an e-book in Swedish. Pay 100 SEK +( 10 euro/ 14 dollar/ 9 pund) or get it for free from the library? Guess what I do? *loves Elib*
It seems to be over 100SEK when there is not paperback available. I bought some books by Bodil Mårtensson recently that was only 64 SEK which is OK. A bit more expensive than the cheapest paperback I can find but comparable to the paperback in most shops.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It seems to be over 100SEK when there is not paperback available. I bought some books by Bodil Mårtensson recently that was only 64 SEK which is OK. A bit more expensive than the cheapest paperback I can find but comparable to the paperback in most shops.
True. Also, I think that the bigger publishers are more reluctant to drop prices than smaller publishers.
Oh, and if you are prepared to remove DRM you can make nice bargains on older titles.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard

Question Err.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And Amazon had a higher price for the paperback also that matched the price for the Kindle edition. I thought the whole idea with book-buying clubs was that they could get extra low prices. So why did you expect the book-buying club to be more expensive in this case? The rational thing ought to be to buy from the book-buying club.
Sorry Tompe - I think if you re-read my post you'll find ...

The club price was "extra low",

I didn't expect the club to be more expensive,

and I did, rationally [thanks Diap] buy it from the book club....

Which was sort of my light-hearted , tongue-in-cheek, devil-may-care point in said post.

I thought....

[ See.......

the price,
from
the book club,
was
a lot lower,
so,
I got it
from
the book club. ]
Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry Tompe - I think if you re-read my post you'll find ...

The club price was "extra low",

I didn't expect the club to be more expensive,

and I did, rationally [thanks Diap] buy it from the book club....

Which was sort of my light-hearted , tongue-in-cheek, devil-may-care point in said post.

I thought....

[ See.......

the price,
from
the book club,
was
a lot lower,
so,
I got it
from
the book club. ]
Oh, sorry, I totally misread this. I thought it was a standard complaint about high ebook prices and that you did not buy the book at all or borrowed it. That would have been the "rational" thing for the price complainers here.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Personally, I would have put it on my wishlist, and waited for the price to come down.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Michael Wallace
Writer
Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle/Nook
I'd probably have bought the paper book, too. I'm reading about 3/4 of my books on the Kindle these days, but still like a physical copy from my favorite writers, or anything non-fiction that I might want to go back to later. I buy almost no paperbacks anymore, though.
Michael Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote