Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Google is no Microsoft

That was apparently Eric Schmidt's intro in the antitrust hearing.

Quote:
"Twenty years ago, a large technology firm was setting the world on fire. Its software was on nearly every computer. Its name was synonymous with innovation," Schmidt told senators. "But that company lost sight of what mattered. Then Washington stepped in."
Shockingly, he doesn't think Google will make the same mistakes. Must be true, then.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-201...CmoreStories.0

I especially find the video at the bottom entertaining. Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah sure doesn't like Google Inc.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like how the second video that queue'd up was titled "Is Google getting evil?" Gave me a good chuckle to which I couldn't properly explain to my 4-year-old when he asked why I was laughing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I agree Google is no Microsoft. Microsoft could, at its worst, only dream of being competent enough to be as evil as Google is today.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I like how the second video that queue'd up was titled "Is Google getting evil?" Gave me a good chuckle to which I couldn't properly explain to my 4-year-old when he asked why I was laughing.
Yeah that was part of a short-lived series they had been running for a while called CNET Conversations. I actually enjoyed those; sad to see they stopped them.
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Michael Wallace
Writer
Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle/Nook
I have been disappointed in Google. What is the saying about power and absolute power? It applies here.
Michael Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
How is google being evil , again? I must have missed that.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Never mind, you'll catch up later...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Microsoft is not the Microsoft of 20 years ago, either.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Very true. Their growth spurt is over and despite being amazingly profitable they have to offer a dividend to prop their stock up. Not as if they've done much else of value with the extra cash, lol.

Actually I have high hopes for Windows 8 on tablets and Windows phone system is still getting rave reviews. If Nokia's hardware matches they may have another big hit there.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I especially find the video at the bottom entertaining. Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah sure doesn't like Google Inc.
I think ex-Senator Rick Santorum hates Google more. He tried to get Google to remove the first result that comes back from searching his name.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Very true. Their growth spurt is over and despite being amazingly profitable they have to offer a dividend to prop their stock up. Not as if they've done much else of value with the extra cash, lol.

Actually I have high hopes for Windows 8 on tablets and Windows phone system is still getting rave reviews. If Nokia's hardware matches they may have another big hit there.
Is Nokia going WM? Last I heard, they were still dragging Symbian around, and Flirting with Maemo/Meego (Which I just wish they'd pull the trigger on already. They've been working on Maemo since '05. Either get your Linux freak on, or just move on.)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Is Nokia going WM?
Oh, yeah. For all intents and purposes, Nokia is owned by Microsoft these days:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/nokia-...;siu-container

And the price was right, they just sent one of their suits to preside over the carcass.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Because corporations are bad so really big corporations must be evil. At least that's the unspoken assumption most people seem to be operating under.

The subject of this thread is right though, Google is no Microsoft. Where Microsoft used its dominant market position to force pc makers to buy copies of Windows (which included heavy Internet Explorer integration), Google offers most of its products for free. Google is big and stays big because it's making better products than its competitors, not because it's taking unfair advantage of its size.

No one is forced to use GoogleMaps over YahooMaps, but have you tried YahooMaps lately? Ya...
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Because corporations are bad so really big corporations must be evil.
You say that as if it's not true...

Quote:
The subject of this thread is right though, Google is no Microsoft. Where Microsoft used its dominant market position to force pc makers to buy copies of Windows (which included heavy Internet Explorer integration),
I don't think the problem was ever Microsoft "forcing" PC makers to buy Windows. How would they do that, anyway?

The problem was that they were bundling IE and Media Player, etc. with the OS, which was considered to be an example of them unfairly using their position as the dominant market player to squeeze out competition (Netscape et al.).