Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Another point is, the airline can test specific devices that are used in specific places (iPad in the cockpit) to ensure that they do not cause ANY interference.
Great news for Apple, because they can announce that iPads are safe to use during landings and take offs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #32
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
I'm not against the opinion (I disagree, but the internet is based around strong opinions). I'm against casual homophobic slurs that make internet forums uncomfortable places for gay people.
Are you gay yourself?
If not: please don't speak for us.
If you are: please don't speak for others.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I think Will Wheaton should have used some of that Star Trek technobabble to reply, "The flux capicator establishes an ion transmission that creates the picture on the electronic ink interface."

Seriously, I've travelled through several generations of electronic devices and run into many flight attendants and their ignorance (not bad, they just don't know what it is that I have).

Most folks are cool if you just follow the rules, unreasonable that they are. Arguing is a waste of time since they have the law on their side. Bring a DTB to pass the take off and landing time. You are not going to change their mind or their policy arguing on the plane.

I do wonder about electronic devices like watches, pacemakers, prosthetics, etc...
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Self-deleted for going even more off-topic.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The biggest risk with keeping it on is probably your neighbour getting upset and disturbing the flight. On a recent flight we were encouraged to check that people sitting next to us turned off the devices and point it out if they did not. They also explicitly said that ebooks was included in the things that have to be turned off.

The Nook STR have a text on it when turned off telling that it is turned off. I actually failed to turn off my Nook on the first flight since it was new and in a cover and I had not yet learned how the button worked. On the next flight I did turn it off.

I also think that people regularly forget to turn off iPads. I have forgotten a couple of times.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #36
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
You can't turn off a Kindle without taking the back off and removing the battery. There's "sleep with a screensaver" and "sleep with a blank screen", neither of which is actually off. Waking from off would take as long as waking from restart and neither option takes anywhere near that long.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Will your ereader cause the plane to crash?

No, it won't.

Is hassling the flight attendant nice?

No, it isn't.

They don't make the rules, but they have to enforce them. Don't make their job harder - you won't get to use your ereader in any case, so save everyone some unnecessary stress.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #38
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If he had properly stowed it as is expected when one is supposed to power off such devices, the stewardess never would have seen the screen to know what was on it.

It's not just a matter of electronics interference (over which the airlines and FAA are overly cautious, and rightly so), but of eliminating distractions which will hinder people from following directions or evacuating in an emergency, and of minimizing the danger of flying objects in the event of a hard landing or other maneuver.

William
Lighten up [Deleted by the Moderation Team].

Those who are so easily distracted deserve to die in such an emergency or should not be flying and nor driving a 2000lb vehicle at 80MPH on the highway for that matter. Darwin was right and, for one, I enthusiastically welcome their elimination from the gene pool. What a ludicrous rationalization about the matter.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-16-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Moderation edit
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #39
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow. Homophobic much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Using the phrase "[Deleted by the Moderation Team]" to describe someone is decidedly homophobic.
Quote:
I'm not against the opinion (I disagree, but the internet is based around strong opinions). I'm against casual homophobic slurs that make internet forums uncomfortable places for gay people.*

*also casual racism, misogyny... sadly the list is endless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
wow, totally humorless and CLOSED MINDED to the point of sucking the fun out of a room upon entry? I imagine your little clique is fine with fat or ugly "jokes" but of course called on it won't admit to the bigotry.

Grow up princess.

Last edited by joenunya; 09-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #40
joenunya
Banned

Quote:
I'm not against the opinion (I disagree, but the internet is based around strong opinions). I'm against casual homophobic slurs that make internet forums uncomfortable places for gay people.*

*also casual racism, misogyny... sadly the list is endless...
Wow, why not include your implied by omission proclivity, MISANDRY.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #41
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

No, it won't.

No, it isn't.

They don't make the rules, but they have to enforce them. Don't make their job harder - you won't get to use your ereader in any case, so save everyone some unnecessary stress.
Agreed. Karma for you!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #42
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

No, it won't.

No, it isn't.

Do you know who else was just "following orders"? That's right, nazis*. And the Nuremberg trials showed us that's not a valid excuse.

* yes, I'm going full-on Godwin here. Don't make invoke Hitler!
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I do wonder about electronic devices like watches, pacemakers, prosthetics, etc...

Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The biggest risk with keeping it on is probably your neighbour getting upset and disturbing the flight. On a recent flight we were encouraged to check that people sitting next to us turned off the devices and point it out if they did not. They also explicitly said that ebooks was included in the things that have to be turned off.

The Nook STR have a text on it when turned off telling that it is turned off. I actually failed to turn off my Nook on the first flight since it was new and in a cover and I had not yet learned how the button worked. On the next flight I did turn it off.

I also think that people regularly forget to turn off iPads. I have forgotten a couple of times.
What!??? They expected you to be a snitch? That's not me.

I'm sorry to hear about all of those plane crashes because you failed to turn your devices off. So, which alternate universe version are you right now?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #45
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What!??? They expected you to be a snitch? That's not me.

I'm sorry to hear about all of those plane crashes because you failed to turn your devices off. So, which alternate universe version are you right now?
"I won't tell them about your ipad if you don't tell them about my nook."

Or

"Here's $5. Ignore my kindle."
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote